Why Doesn't Houston Restrict Comm. Trucks Traffic

DJ2025

They do it in Los Angeles.........Commercial Trucks are not allowed on certain freeways, same thing with NYC. Why don't they do that here?

When I look at traffic......I think trucks cause a lot of the problems.

Is there a reason why that can't be implemented here?

There are ordinances against trucks using the left lanes on sections of the North, Pasadena, and East Freeways.

I think the rules on HC trucks inside 610 apply on all of the freeways, not just I-10 and I-45. There are also restrictions on those loads using any of the tollways.

Well I think removing them from some freeways totally is the only way.

By having Trucks concentrated in the right lanes, it disrupts the flow of traffic entering and exiting the freeway......which eventually slows traffic in all lanes because people are trying to get around the trucks.

I won't dispute anybody's grief with the large rigs on the freeways. But I'd personally rather drive with large rigs and slap restrictions on every single occupant Suburban, Yukon, Discovery, Excursion, Land Cruiser and the like wasting space and fuel on the highways (and 90% driving like total *&^%s).

Seriously though, what is the proposed alternative? Large rigs make deliveries and pick ups all over Houston. Using the freeway is far safer and causes less grief for fewer drivers than trying to navigate city thoroughfares.

But like the train discussion of few weeks back, we each depend greatly on the free and economical movement of large trucks and vans (and trains). Nearly everything in your home was probably on a large truck at some point.

I won't dispute anybody's grief with the large rigs on the freeways. But I'd personally rather drive with large rigs and slap restrictions on every single occupant Suburban, Yukon, Discovery, Excursion, Land Cruiser and the like wasting space and fuel on the highways (and 90% driving like total *&^%s).

We could have freeways like Interstate 66 in Virginia between the Capital Beltway (I-495) and the freeway's eastern termination near the Watergate complex in Washington, DC. During rush hours, it's HOV only in ALL lanes in the rush direction. Only vehicles with at least two occupants and motorcycles are allowed on any of the lanes traveling in the rush direction during rush hours, and there are cops all over the freeway during the HOV only periods handing out tickets to those who don't follow the law.

It's also one of the most scenic urban freeways you'll find, and much of it has a rapid rail transit line running in the center median.

We could have freeways like Interstate 66 in Virginia between the Capital Beltway (I-495) and the freeway's eastern termination near the Watergate complex in Washington, DC. During rush hours, it's HOV only in ALL lanes in the rush direction. Only vehicles with at least two occupants and motorcycles are allowed on any of the lanes traveling in the rush direction during rush hours, and there are cops all over the freeway  during the HOV only periods handing out tickets to those who don't follow the law.

It's also one of the most scenic urban freeways you'll find, and much of it has a rapid rail transit line running in the center median.

aren't they doing something like that with the katy freeway? several ez-tag lanes that are free for HOV during rush hour?

rapid commuter rail in the center of 10, 45, and 59 south would be so nice...

Drivers in Houston would also need to learn how to use the left lane properly.

i think they do pretty good here. i am basing this on 4 years in st. louis, where they drive 55 in the left lane even when there isn't traffic. it was horrible, so slow.

i think people here drive pretty fast in general, and get out of they way. of course there are always the idiots, but i find it much better in houston then stl where i drove a lot, and even better overall then austin and dallas where i drive on the weekends.

:huh: SUV's wasting space and fuel on the highways as opposed to unregulated semi's here and coming in from MX? Have you seen what some of these trucks churn out of their stacks?

A 2005 Toyota Camry V-6 puts out the same amount of GHG per year as a Toyota Highlander V-6 and a Ford Escape V-6. Heck, a Kia Sedona minivan is worse than all three! It's not the "evil" SUV, it's the manufacturer and what they are producing. Granted, the bigger the engine, the more greenhouse gases are going to be produced, but it isn't nearly as bad as what is being produced by the trucking industry.

Just my 2 cents.

aren't they doing something like that with the katy freeway? several ez-tag lanes that are free for HOV during rush hour?

rapid commuter rail in the center of 10, 45, and 59 south would be so nice...

Yeah sort of, although on that section of I-66 it's ALL of the lanes that are for HOV traffic. Single-occupant cars cannot drive on the freeway legally at all during the restricted times. And big trucks are restricted as well.

As for truck industry's polution, this is why Amercian auto makers (specifically GM) are the leaders in hybrid technology in the large truck and but markets. GM has realized that the majority of pollution do to vehicular traffic is from transit buses and large transport trucks. The SUV and cars on the road or only minor contributors. Currently GM is testing and marketing hybrid buses to transit authorities around the country and canada too.

The are also implementing the technology into large trucks. The concept of a hybrid truck and busses offers the best solution to vehicular pollution issues. The most pollution emitted from a vehicle occurs when it first starts accelerating from a stopped position. Once it is moving it produces much less pollution. Having the electrical engine for initial acceleration would solve a lot of pollution problems.

GM has no plans in the immediate future for hybrid cars because there is very little benefit in terms of pollution reduction, but it does get great gas mileage. GM has developed a light truck that has hybrid technology in it, but it is more design to facility the need of having a generator out in the work field were electricity is no present. The US military has been using this concept for years.

Imagine all the large trucks and buses having hybrid technology. This could mean a drop in shipping cost and furthermore the cost of goods at stores around the country.

Local transit authorities would have more money to spend on their gas usage since they would using it more efficiently.

In the end I don't agree with removing truck traffic from the innerloop freeways. Most truckers to make the attempt to avoid the freeways during typical rush hours anyway. They increase the use during the day and night when traffic is lower. The logisitics operations at larger transport firms plan this into their routes.

Imagine all the large trucks and buses having hybrid technology.  This could mean a drop in shipping cost and furthermore the cost of goods at stores around the country.

METRO is one of a handful of transit agencies in the country testing hybrid buses. There are four New Flyer 40 ft. low floor buses in the fleet here that were retrofitted with a hybrid engine for testing almost two years ago. I haven't ridden one, but you mya have seen them around town as they have a special paint job with blue lettering on the top of the bus identifying it as a hybrid.

As for bus pollution, it would be great to see us have a few trolley bus routes. Not trolley buses as in those buses downtown that look like old fashioned trolleys, but all electric buses that run on overhead trolley wires. Only a few cities still have them in the US (San Francisco, Boston, Cambridge, Dayton, Philadelphia, and Chicago) but they are very quiet, have better acceleration than diesel, and don't spew pollution. The electric buses also have about twice the lifespan of a standard diesel bus. The San Francisco Muni trolley buses are powered using electricity generated only by non-polluting methods, so they pride themselves on a 100% emission free trolley bus system. In the past there were a lot of cities that had these buses (even Dallas) because they were an easy conversion from old streetcar lines. You just had to put up a second wire to act as the neutral return feed (the rails on streetcars and LRVs do this). But since air pollution wasn't really a concern in the 1950s and 1960s, and diesel buses were cheaper to buy, most cities dropped their systems in favor of cheaper and more flexible diesel equipment. However, much of the extra cost of installing a system and buying the equipment is offset by the lower maintenance costs and longevity of the buses. I don't think any US cities that don't have trolley bus routes are currently planning them, but wouldn't it be great to see some of the most heavilly used Metro routes (2, 25, 53, 82) running on non-polluting electricity? There are even dual-mode trolley buses (Boston has these) that can start a diesel engine when they come off the trolley wires, to allow for route detours or long routes that aren't fully electrified.

As for truck industry's polution, this is why Amercian auto makers (specifically  GM) are the leaders in hybrid technology in the large truck and but markets.  GM has realized that the majority of pollution do to vehicular traffic is from transit buses and large transport trucks.  The SUV and cars on the road or only minor contributors.  Currently GM is testing and marketing hybrid buses to transit authorities around the country and canada too.

The are also implementing the technology into large trucks.  The concept of a hybrid truck and busses offers the best solution to vehicular pollution issues.  The most pollution emitted from a vehicle occurs when it first starts accelerating from a stopped position.  Once it is moving it produces much less pollution.  Having the electrical engine for initial acceleration would solve a lot of pollution problems.

GM has no plans in the immediate future for hybrid cars because there is very little benefit in terms of pollution reduction, but it does get great gas mileage.  GM has developed a light truck that has hybrid technology in it, but it is more design to facility the need of having a generator out in the work field were electricity is no present.  The US military has been using this concept for years.

Imagine all the large trucks and buses having hybrid technology.  This could mean a drop in shipping cost and furthermore the cost of goods at stores around the country.

Local transit authorities would have more money to spend on their gas usage since they would using it more efficiently.

In the end I don't agree with removing truck traffic from the innerloop freeways.  Most truckers to make the attempt to avoid the freeways during typical rush hours anyway.  They increase the use during the day and night when traffic is lower.  The logisitics operations at larger transport firms plan this into their routes.

I've thought about applying hybrid technology to buses and trucks. I think it would work great for buses, since they make frequent stops. However, for trucks it might not work out so great for long haul vehicles. However, cylinder deactivation might be a reasonable alternative. I'm not sure how something like that might work with a diesel engine though.

Once an large truck gets going it is quite efficient. You may look at the miles per gallon and think it is gastly, but looking at the load they are hauling it becomes quite efficient.

Trucks on the open aren't contributing much to pollution. It's when they get off the free on city streets or in stop and go freeway traffic. The hybrid portion can handle the stop and go and slow city travel conditions easily.

After all the hybrid cars become your typical gasoline vehicle once they get above 30 or 35 mph. The increase in gas mileage is due to the acceleration from a stop being handled by the electric engine.

Archived