Historic Houston Foosball

Native Son

Since I had such a great response about Gateway Pool I thought I would see if anyone else remebers the proliferation of Foosball joints in SW Houston during the late 70's...I recall Tornado on S Post Oak, Double Eagle on Gassmer, and several smaller storefronts in that area. I remeber on at Gessner and 59, on the south side of the freeway, but remember the name..that doesn't count the pool halls, Slick Willie's, Barney's and a hundred other I can only remember by the smell of smoke and spilt beer....ahh memories

Since I had such a great response about Gateway Pool I thought I would see if anyone else remebers the proliferation of Foosball joints in SW Houston during the late 70's...I recall Tornado on S Post Oak, Double Eagle on Gassmer, and several smaller storefronts in that area. I remeber on at Gessner and 59, on the south side of the freeway, but remember the name..that doesn't count the pool halls, Slick Willie's, Barney's and a hundred other I can only remember by the smell of smoke and spilt beer....ahh memories

My father used to go to foosball tournaments all the time when I was a kid. He taught me all his tricks on a table he brought home. I remember winning games for a couple hours straight with a partner at some school event years later.

Foosball was very popular all over. There was a Game Room hangout for teens on Griggs near Wayside (Pine Valley)called Giggles :blush: There were always tournaments and prizes not to mention a great juke box (still recall hearing "Nightmoves" Bob Segar) so that dates it. It was just like that scene in Dazed and Confused, really. Air hockey was all the rage as well. I was just old pin ball machine crazy. Elton John's Pinball Wizard game was the all time fav. You could rack up zillions of points soooo easy.

I saw a foosball game just chunked in some ones front yard the other day, left for heavy garbage pick up. :angry2:

Baby we were born to run!

FOOSmoviepr005.jpg

I used to go to the place on S.Post Oak quite a bit, and also Double Eagle a lot. Also the place

in the shopping center across from Westbury High next to the grocery store, etc..

At that time, "1975" I lived across the street at the Madison Apartments.

Was a non stop party most of the time... :P

I was very good at foosball, and could kick butt on most all I ran across.

Remember at Double Eagle a guy named David Frazier? He was good too..

Between us two, we pretty much kept everyone in line. ;)

He had a killer pull shot. I had a killer push shot.. Ultra fast and a super hard "pop"

against the wall which would intimidate most goal keepers..

When I was "on", it was pretty much impossible to block me. I won many a

tournament.. I'd often play goal position and do my push from the back of

the table.. Couldn't block it either unless they got lucky and were in the right

place at the right time.

There is a good chance I know you, or have run across you if you were at

Double Eagle. I was there nearly every day... A hint... In those days,

I drove a aqua green colored 1960 ford falcon coupe. You probably saw it

at one time or the other.. I knew most everyone who hung out there at the time.

• 12 years later...

Copper Dollar - Gessener? big pay off tournaments

Popeyes in deer park, knew the owner

The Sting in Deer Park - knew the owner

Uncle Sam's Pasadena

Played only on Tornado, played goalie, could get into a players head with my mouth and rattle em, good speed.

Didn't play many tournaments, played money games mainly at Sam's -

I was known for the "long pull shot" from goalie.

From against the wall all the way over, or hit a hole anywhere in between, many games I made more points than the front man.

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Foosball

Archived