Houston's Oldest Businesses

houwest

I passed by W.M. Dewey and Sons, Oil Field Trucking and noticed on their sign that they had been in business since 1895. I knew that Westheimer Transfer and Storage had been around forever and according to their website; they have been in business since 1883. Dewey Trucking moved to Houston from Humble in 1928, so Westheimer predates them by many years.

It got me to wondering if there are any Houston based business that are older than 1883? I can

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not strictly Houston-based, but it started in part of the metro...

The Galveston Daily News started publishing April 11, 1842. It was a huge back then, as everything in Galveston was before the 1900 storm. It was so big that it founded a sister paper called the Morning News in what was then a small prairie backwater called Dallas.

For some reason the Dallas Morning News is considered the oldest business in Texas. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe because the Galveston paper moved to Houston for a couple of years during the Civil War.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that the Galveston Daily News had the first telephone in Texas.

In trying to figure out which is the oldest bar in Houston, I realized that what business is the "oldest" in a category can depend a lot on the details (does the business need to have been operating under the same name? at the same location? uninterrupted? what counts as a "bar" (or restaurant, or whatever the category)? etc.). Still, I love hearing about long-running Houston businesses, so I hope you get some good responses. Especially if there are other businesses that have been in operation here since before 1900 - that's really interesting.

Shudde Bros. has been in business since 1907, I think, though they recently moved from Washington Ave.

Kaplan's Ben Hur recently closed after being in business since 1913.

I have some pre-1900 copies of the Houston Chronicle Daily Post, and will check them later for familliar names. I think there were some Foley Bros. ads in there.

Southland Hardware on Westheimer has been around for a long time, but have no idea when it first opened.

Since 1935, it looks like.

The Houston-based law firm Baker Botts dates back to 1874, if not before.

Houston's Daily Court Review, has been published since 1889.

St. Joseph's Hospital was apparently founded in 1887.

I have some pre-1900 copies of the Houston Chronicle, and will check them later for familliar names.

The Chronicle started in 1901. Though if you have the first issue of the newspaper that would be quite the collectable!

I'm pretty sure some law firms here could be listed among Houston's oldest businesses.

The Chronicle started in 1901. Though if you have the first issue of the newspaper that would be quite the collectable!

That's funny. No, I'm sure I just have copies of some other Houston paper that was around pre-1900 and was thinking it was the Chronicle because I don't have them in front of me. Thanks for the correction!

[Edit: It's the Houston Daily Post.]

Teas Nursery dates back to 1910.

Can think of at least 3 burger joints, etc.

Someburger - Heights

Poppaburger on N Main (been there forever) my aunt ran it for years too.

Cozy Kitchen barbecue on Lockwood

El Jardin Mex restaurant on Harrisburg

Crespo Funeral Home on Navigation (very old)

Morales Funeral Home on Canal

:)

Can think of at least 3 burger joints, etc.

Someburger - Heights

Poppaburger on N Main (been there forever) my aunt ran it for years too.

Cozy Kitchen barbecue on Lockwood

El Jardin Mex restaurant on Harrisburg

Crespo Funeral Home on Navigation (very old)

Morales Funeral Home on Canal

:)

There is a someburger in Baytown that has been there for at least 40 years. I wonder if they are connected some how? If I ate at the one in the Hieghts, I would know instantly. :D Where is it in the heights?

Various observations:

Cozy Kitchen has a sign in the window that says "since 1946". Another oldie, of about the same ilk is Triple A by the Farmer's Market on Airline. It used to be called Trucker's Cafe in the early 50's but I'm pretty sure that was just a name, not an ownership change. May father had a business in the area and he and his cronies would go over there and drink coffee every morning for about 30 minutes. Sort of like an early Starbucks, I guess.

Someburger is at W. 11th and Studewood.

For years, I haven't noticed it in a long time , on the masthead of the Chron., it said Houston Chronicle and Herald.

Someburger has only been around since the 1950s and yes the 2 locations are related, owned by brothers. There's a thread about Someburger in which I posted a pic of the Heights location and another thread where the pic was copied. I've also posted the link to the BT website, but here it is again. There's a history of the chain on the website. There are lots of restaurants that are older.

Since editor has brought up Galveston businesses, there's a cafe at the corner of 8th and Post Office, I think, just off UTMB, called Schutte's Corner, with a sign over the door which says 'since 1885.'

I thought I had another good one with Thomas Goggan and Brothers from 1866 in Galveston, but apparently they're not in business anymore? I didn't realize that.

Various observations:

Cozy Kitchen has a sign in the window that says "since 1946". and Herald.

That dates it to the almost exact days when mom says they (teens) used to go there to eat after dances.

Frenchy's Chicken over by TSU has been around for decades too. I am sure someone here can give more detail on Frenchy's. Man it is delicious! Very home style. :P

Since editor has brought up Galveston businesses, there's a cafe at the corner of 8th and Post Office, I think, just off UTMB, called Schutte's Corner, with a sign over the door which says 'since 1885.'

It's been a couple of decades since I've been there -- and it's probably closed now -- but wasn't there a soda fountain in Galveston that had the distinction of being the oldest soda fountain in the state?

Settegast-Kopf Funeral Directors have been around by name since 1901, but I doubt that it is still owned and operated by family members.

In fact, most cemetaries and or funeral have existed for eons but like Crespo, it is run by newer people but use same name, peculiar but true. Imagine how long Forest Park on Lawndale have been around? :o

Here is good one; Blue Top Motel on Telephone still keeps the red light on to this day!

World's oldest profession indeed.

In fact, most cemetaries and or funeral have existed for eons but like Crespo, it is run by newer people but use same name, peculiar but true. Imagine how long Forest Park on Lawndale have been around? :o

Glenwood Cemetery: In business since 1872 in the same location.

But, as you say, the original owners and their company, The Houston Cemetery Corporation, all all defunct, and likely residing there now.

Frenchy's established in 1969.

Guy's Meat Market established in 1938...but they have only been at their current location since 1958.

Frenchy's - yep, every location I've been to says that on the sign. That's neat about Guy's - I love their burgers and chili but didn't know they'd been around that long.

If you want to count Bibas One's a Meal on West Gray as a One's a Meal, that chain dates to 1933.

Prince's - 1929 in Dallas, in Houston from 1934, but out of business for some time, I don't remember how long, ca. the late 1990s.

More from Galveston: Gaido's, 1911; Original Mexican Cafe on 14th - dates differ according to the sources, 1913, 1916, 1918. Up until a few years ago anyway always the same family but I don't know if that's still true.

Anybody know the history of Bering Hardware? When I was researching my blog in the 1920s I saw frequent ads for Bering-Cortes Hardware in the papers - the ancestor of the current store?

Frenchy's - yep, every location I've been to says that on the sign. That's neat about Guy's - I love their burgers and chili but didn't know they'd been around that long.

If you want to count Bibas One's a Meal on West Gray as a One's a Meal, that chain dates to 1933.

Prince's - 1929 in Dallas, in Houston from 1934, but out of business for some time, I don't remember how long, ca. the late 1990s.

More from Galveston: Gaido's, 1911; Original Mexican Cafe on 14th - dates differ according to the sources, 1913, 1916, 1918. Up until a few years ago anyway always the same family but I don't know if that's still true.

Anybody know the history of Bering Hardware? When I was researching my blog in the 1920s I saw frequent ads for Bering-Cortes Hardware in the papers - the ancestor of the current store?

Thanks Bruce for the info on Someburger. Interesting. I think that I will eat at the one in the heights sunday after the walking tour.

A note on guy's. My Dad drives from Baytown to get their brisket rub (several pounds at a time) I have never had any better, seriously. I had no idea that they were that old though.

A. Bering and Bro was the name of the company before Bering & Cortes. I'm not sure what year it started but this advertisement is from 1886. I believe that Cortes was the son-in-law of August Bering. Bering Hardware is still run by descendants of August Bering

Bering_and_Bro_Ad_1886.jpg

I found a history of Bering's on their web site here Bering Hardware History

Some of the history sounds a bit apocryphal.

Wouldn't Foley Brothers count too?

Been around since time began (seems) in downtown then later moved to new building 1947-49? dropped the brothers and now as we know today as Macy's.

We should have had some beer brewery's in the mix somewhere? :huh:

Pearl/Lone Star doesnt count it was San Antonio I think.

I'm going out on a I think a pretty safe limb here and say Knapp Chevrolet is the oldest car dealer in town, since 1941 on Houston Ave.

http://www.houstondeco.org/1940s/knapp.html

As Henry Ford said to himself one time "That's a lot of darn Chevrolets".

Pretty amazing just that they've been at the same location for that long.

Thanks Bruce for the info on Someburger. Interesting. I think that I will eat at the one in the heights sunday after the walking tour.

A note on guy's. My Dad drives from Baytown to get their brisket rub (several pounds at a time) I have never had any better, seriously. I had no idea that they were that old though.

Someburger's closed on Sunday.

Love the Guy's Seasoning, too.

I found a history of Bering's on their web site here Bering Hardware History

Some of the history sounds a bit apocryphal.

Hmm. So if it weren't for some English-only speaking oxen, Bering's would be a hill country institution rather than a Houston institution?

11m3hxj.jpg

Ad from November, 1922, the Houston Post. Prairie at Milam I think it says. The Post was always over-inked.

Rice Epicurean - opened in 1937 as Rice Boulevard Food Market, and then became Rice Food Market in 1957, followed by Rice Epicurean in 1988, and is run by third generation of the founding Levy family. Anyone remember the 1960's advertising campaign "Smile, you're near a Rice Food Market"?

What about Knapp Chevrolet?

That has been there for ages! 1940's? :o

The florist across from Stephen F Austin HS on Dumble has been there mucho longo timo too.

Think about any other florist's!

Some on Navigation & on Lawndale been around since 1940 - 50's (qualify?) :ph34r:

Montalbano_Lumber.jpg

Indeed they are very open, and going strong. Many many homes in Houston have been built with the superior lumber from the Montalbano family. Big Johnny has been at the helm of the flagship Houston store for a long time, and his son John Jr is currently working his way up there, as he has done since a child, and his brother Vincent is working under their Uncle's tuttlege at the Shepherd store. A great family that has done alot for Houston, I have been friends of theirs for a long time. Interesting story, Francesco Montalbano, the original who immigrated to the US from Italy, was going through NOLA entering the country, he could only say in english "mill" as his former occupation, so they put him to work in a saw mill in East Texas, he actually worked in a flour mill. He saved money and moved to Houston to start a grocery market, and sold firewood on the side. The wood business worked for him far more than the food business did, and that's how the family was transformed into the lumber biz. His son Joseph married Sadie Butera before taking over the business from Francesco. Mama Sadie was a great woman who recently passed away. They are cousins to the Buteras, Carrabba's, Mandola's, Maida's, and many other Italian families in Houston.

Another note, if schools count, St. Thomas High School has been around since 1900 and is going strong, IWA downtown predates it though I know.

Maxwell House Coffee, originally started in 1892 as Cheek and Cheek coffee,local coffee barristas of Nashville. They are the ones who provided the coffee to Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville, which is eventually where they got the name.

Tea's Nursery has been in business since 1843. "Company Information: This nursery has made a name for itself by supplying Houston gardeners for more than 150 years. Believe it or not, this one has actually been in business since 1843. Orchids and exotic plants are popular items, along with traditional roses and African violets. Numerous gardening books and supplies are also available in abundance. Newer services include a garden newsletter, kids gardening club and a packed mail-order catalog. Greenhouse enthusiasts will appreciate both the quality and value of the products and services found at every location. Call if you need information about alternate locations."

BTW, the WORLD'S "oldest profession" is still alive and well in a couple of parts of Houston. Does THAT count or does it only count if you actually have an establishment to work out of ?

Archived