April Mods of the Month #2 and #3

Willowisp

Join us this Sunday, April 13th (2-4pm), at our Mod of the Month, numbers 2&3!

#2: 5110 Braesheather Dr (in Meyerland, near S. Rice and S. Braeswood)

Stunning Mid-Century Modern house designed by Hy Applebaum. Original terrazo, wonderful cabinetry, sunken living room, large dining room, guest bath w/ skylights & original tiling, very large bedrooms. Pool w/ Japanese garden feel. Beautiful kitchen w/ 1/2 bath. Extra storage in garage. Contains many original features!

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=1&sTYPE=0

#3: 5015 Heatherglen Dr (in Meyerland, very near the house above)

Custom built Asian influenced Mid-Century Modern house designed by architect William Wortham! Fabulous floor plan with lots of glass and natural light. Sunken formal living room and raised formal dining room that features 'Saucer' Bubble Lamp. The kitchen touts 'Intact' original suspended walnut cabinets with orignal pulls, updatd SS double ovens, SS Dishwasher,VCT Flooring, and glass tile backspalsh. Poured terrazo floors in the den and foyer. Pristine walnut paneled walls in the den.

Yeah, 500th post!

Jason

#3: 5015 Heatherglen Dr (in Meyerland, very near the house above)

Custom built Asian influenced Mid-Century Modern house designed by architect William Wortham! Fabulous floor plan with lots of glass and natural light. Sunken formal living room and raised formal dining room that features 'Saucer' Bubble Lamp. The kitchen touts 'Intact' original suspended walnut cabinets with orignal pulls, updatd SS double ovens, SS Dishwasher,VCT Flooring, and glass tile backspalsh. Poured terrazo floors in the den and foyer. Pristine walnut paneled walls in the den.

What's the story on the Heatherglen house? Looks like it changed hands 3/2007...

The zoning in the HAR information for the Braesheather home is correct, though it doesn't mention the Pin Oak option. The second house is zoned to the same schools as the first, and it mentions the Pin Oak option.

Both of these seem to have taken inspiration from the Chinese Modern trend so popular in the late 50s and early 60s. It's exciting to have an opportunity to tour such deluxe versions of the style. I have heard several architects mention their love of and inspiration from the Asian style but never see it discussed anywhere. It was mentioned on several television shows of the period that are still televised.

These houses were really beautiful today! They had similar qualities and then distinct differences. Breasheather was high class while Heatherglen was playful and bright. Breasheather will give opportunities for restoration while Heatherglen has been well restored with a few renovations thrown in. Hope to see the right owners in both of these houses soon.

Jason

I really wanted to see the Heatherglen house as we share the same architect, William Wortham. There was another WW house a few months ago (maybe a year ago), so thats 3 residences that I know of. Before going to these Houston Mods I was only aware of my house and a bunch of commercial projects he did. Thanks. His interiors are very destinctive, I'm fairly sure I would know immediately on entering one of his houses.

(BTW, I loved the Colquitt house the other day... absolutely beautiful.)

I believe the house on Heatherglen is open every Sunday from 2-4. I'm surprised it hasn't sold already.

I think the house on Colquitt is going to a buyer who will keep it in it's current form.

I really wanted to see the Heatherglen house as we share the same architect, William Wortham. There was another WW house a few months ago (maybe a year ago), so thats 3 residences that I know of. Before going to these Houston Mods I was only aware of my house and a bunch of commercial projects he did. Thanks. His interiors are very destinctive, I'm fairly sure I would know immediately on entering one of his houses.

(BTW, I loved the Colquitt house the other day... absolutely beautiful.)

Hy Applebaum is the architect of 5110 Braesheather. It is a deluxe and well detailed mod, located on one of the best streets in Meyerland. He was first certified as an architect in Texas in 1958. His firm is R & A Architects, established in 1963.

Resume:

HY APPLEBAUM A.I.A., M.I.E.S.

Principal of R&A Architects A.I.A. since 1963.

4 years experience with other firms prior to R&A Architects.

Mentored under the guidance of Frank C. Dill (a noted Houston church architect) for 3 years after graduating from Rice University.

Mr. Applebaum is married with 3 sons and 5 grandchildren; one son, a practicing Architect in Los Angeles; another is an Electrical Engineer in Dallas and Partner of a large MEP firm; the third is a Partner in a "Business Merger and Acquisition" company in Dallas.

EDUCATION

Rice University, Bachelor of Arts; 1955

Rice University, Bachelor of Architecture; 1956

Recipient of W. W. Watkin Traveling Fellowship (A design competition for foreign study of Architecture), Rice U. 1956

ACTIVE LICENSES FOR THE PRACTICE OF ARCHITECTURE

NCRAB #28928

Texas #2324

Has held licenses in Georgia, Kentucky, Florida, and Mississippi when commissioned in that state.

ACTIVE PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC MEMBERSHIP

Member-American Institute of Architects

National Advisor and 1999-2000 Chairman of the AIA Small Project Forum - PIA.

Past Member of the AIA PIA Executive Committee (2-year term).

Member-Texas Society of Architects

Member-AIA Houston Chapter

Past Chairman - Microfilm Roundtable Committee. Active member to date.

Past member of the Continuing Education Committee.

Active in many other AIA Houston activities.

Member-Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) of North America

Past Regional VP

Member-San Jacinto Section of the IES.

Past President

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

15 year Committeeman (Sheep & Goat Youth Awards Committee)

Texas Longhorn Breeders Association

International Texas Longhorn Association

Congregation Emanu El

Past Board Member.

Past PTA President.

Active in many projects and events.

AWARDS 1. IES Regional First Place Award for Residential Lighting - for the Applebaum Residence, Houston, Texas

2. IES National Award of Merit - for the Walden Yacht and Country Club, Walden on Lake Conroe, Montgomery, Texas

3. Texas Forestry Association Award of Merit - for the Harbor Village Condominiums, Walden on Lake Conroe, Montgomery, Texas

4. San Jacinto Chapter IES Commercial Division Award - for the Curtin Matheson Scientific Corporate Headquarters, Houston, Texas

SPECIAL INTERESTS

Mr. Applebaum, aside from being a serious Architect, has exhibited a unique talent for lighting design and has served the Illuminating Engineering Society as Chapter President and Regional Vice President. Among his activities in this arena, he annually lectures and teaches lighting design. He has delivered papers and programs in Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Nova Scotia, Canada. Lighting design is both a design tool and an energy conservation tool in his work. He can incorporate day lighting, as well as artificial illumination to meet his clients' goals.

In addition to his creative design endeavors, Mr. Applebaum has also provided ethical expert witness testimony, investigative post construction reviews and pre-purchase land and building evaluations.

HOBBIES

Mr. Applebaum enjoys sailing, fishing, raising Texas Longhorns, traveling and herb gardening; none of which he has time for anymore so he can be a responsible grandfather.

Example of work:

church_side.jpg

St. Albert Catholic Church

11027 South Gessner

Houston, Texas

R & A Architects, Completed 1973

Archived