Pearl Brewery Mixed-Use Development

kingwilliam

pearlsignpk5.png

enlarge_vision.jpg

• Size: 22-acres; 1.2 million square feet
  • Details: Redevelopment of old Pearl Brewery to include a mix of residential, retail, office and work.

The vision is to transform the Pearl Brewery into a vibrant village on the San

Antonio River. A gathering place where urban living, education, great food, culture, art and commerce converge in a congenial environment of respectfully renovated buildings linked by gardens, plazas, pathways, open spaces, and tree shaded streets.

Pearl Brewery is dynamic

pearlsignpk5.png

enlarge_vision.jpg

• Size: 22-acres; 1.2 million square feet
  • Details: Redevelopment of old Pearl Brewery to include a mix of residential, retail, office and work.

• Currently the new Pearl is home to the Culinary Institute of America (CIA), Aveda Institute, two restaurants and some residential units are now for sale.

Much more is planned for the Pearl.

pearlmapxb9.png

www.PearlBrewery.com

The last time I was in San Antonio was 1972. I remember seeing a Pearl Brewery, but I thought that it was on IH-10. I didn't know that Pearl was still on the market. Is Lone Star beer still made? I thought that its brewery was also in San Antonio.

We used to slam down Pearl beer in the early 80's. Heck, it was cheap and so were we! Always noticed the San Antonio distillary note at the bottom of the can. Would be shocked to know if they still sell this stuff? It was good when chilled! :lol:

PearlBrewery2000.jpg

These guys are having a good time with their Pearl Beers in hand! Yahoo!

1486985567_d776d0ad31.jpg

The Pearl today. Not literally today. lol

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent22.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent15.JPG

Aveda Institute (one of only two in Texas)

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent24.JPG

Farm to Table restaurant

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent17.JPG

Culinary Institute of America (the only one in Texas)

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent03.JPG

Can Recycling building; now a residential complex. FYI, the old Pearl beer can was replaced with a can that has the new logo

PearlBreweryCurrent18.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent21.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent14.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent16.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent11.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent01.JPG

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent25.JPG

My mother lived with her older sister and husband on Josephine St. in early 1920's. Her brother in-law worked at the brewery as a painter in the art department. He also worked at Gulf Brewery in Houston and at Jax Brewery in New Orleans. It was during his tenure at Gulf Brewery that my mother wound up in Houston, (Lucky for me I guess). I'll ask my cousin if he has any old photos of the Pearl Brewery or of the house on Josephine St.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stori...an.1f054c6.html

Environmental group moving to Pearl site

Web Posted: 12/19/2007 08:13 PM CST

Creighton A. Welch

Express-News Business Writer

It already uses wind power and water collecting, supports a restaurant with locally grown food and soon will install the state's largest solar project. Now, to continue with its theme of environmental sustainability, the Pearl Brewery has added the Nature Conservancy as its most recent tenant.

The international group whose goal is to save land in its natural state signed a lease for 10,000 square feet of space at the Full Goods Building, a 67,000-square-foot "L-shaped" building under construction.

::Edited by Editor::

The last time I was in San Antonio was 1972. I remember seeing a Pearl Brewery, but I thought that it was on IH-10. I didn't know that Pearl was still on the market. Is Lone Star beer still made? I thought that its brewery was also in San Antonio.

Hi all. I just registered to answer some of your questions. I was searching The Google for information on the brewery and came across this thread. So, here goes!

Yes, Lone Star and Pearl are still both produced. Both beers are owned by Pabst, who contracts out all of their brewing. While Lone Star is brewed in several diffrent places, Pearl is only produced in Miller's Fort Worth brewery. And yes, Lone Star's brewery was in San Antonio, both of them. The first Lone Star brewery (pre-prohibition) is now the San Antonio Museum of Art. The second, and more widely know Lone Star brewery (post-prohibition) sits south of downtown, empty, run down, and forgotten.

800px-PearlBreweryCurrent24.JPG

Was this a streetcar of some kind?

Not a streetcar, but a freight railroad line. In fact it was Texas' shortest railroad. At just over a mile long, these tracks are part of the Texas Transportation Company's electric rail line. The Texas Transportation Company (reporting marks TXTC) worked the line with two electric locomotives and hauled supplies from, and beer to the Souther Railroad's main junction point. Although TXTC was owned in whole by the Pearl Brewing Company, it also did work for the Lone Star Brewery, back when it was located just down the road from Pearl on Jones Avenue. When Pabst closed the Pearl Brewery in 2001 TXTC shut down as well. Silver Ventures plans on keeping all of the original tracks in place and incorporating them into the grounds. On a side note, one of TXTC's locomotives (Engine #2) was completely restored and is now on display in front of the Pearl Stable (meeting and event hall). The other engine is in storage, awaiting it's undetermined fate. Pictures of both are below:

800px-TexasTransportation1.JPG

799px-TTC1Small01.JPG

• The title was changed to Pearl Brewery Mixed-Use Development

Archived