Second High School In Bryan

Scotch

In my opinion, it was a travesty that the monster "Silver Campus" was ever built at the current Bryan High location. It took up alot of nice green area, and most of the old Junior-Senior parking lot as well. Back in the early 90's a citizens commitee was formed to suggest future growth in the BISD. They decided that a second high school should be built AT THAT TIME, a bond issue followed and was passed. Most who voted for that assumed there would be a second high school built, what those voters did not know is that the campus would be built 30 feet from the old one. Naturally, many are still bitter about the horrible decision. If this bond issue does not pass, I would place the blame on the administration of the early to mid-90's. What horrible planning and mis-use of taxpayer money.

I really like the location for the second high school. The area east of Hwy. 6 is beautiful and prime for high quality development. Naturally, improvements will occur to Old Reliance and Martin Luther King Dr. to create another major east-west corridor. Villa Maria is already set to be extended to meet up with Waco Dr., which will in turn intersect MLK. Despite the poor reputation, the far east portion of MLK is actually an area that has great potential. I hope the bond issue passes and look forward to thoughtful development on the eastern side of Bryan that far north of Boonville Rd.

They will have to widen the MLK/ Reliance bridge if the school will be built. I don't think it's a good idea. The school should be on the West side of town, not the East (BHS is to close to the new school). I don't like the silver campus eather. I wish they could knock down all of Bryan High. that school is a mess, and its a bad design.

• 3 weeks later...
In my opinion, it was a travesty that the monster "Silver Campus" was ever built at the current Bryan High location. It took up alot of nice green area, and most of the old Junior-Senior parking lot as well. Back in the early 90's a citizens commitee was formed to suggest future growth in the BISD. They decided that a second high school should be built AT THAT TIME, a bond issue followed and was passed. Most who voted for that assumed there would be a second high school built, what those voters did not know is that the campus would be built 30 feet from the old one. Naturally, many are still bitter about the horrible decision. If this bond issue does not pass, I would place the blame on the administration of the early to mid-90's. What horrible planning and mis-use of taxpayer money.

Scotch, I feel you most definitely. I actually was one of the BHS student representatives on the committee formed by the BISD School Board back in the mid1990's that was charged with making the recommendations on what should be done about the overcrowding problem at the school. Actually, the committee turned out to be nothing more than a propoganda machine used by the Board to push through the ill-fated trimester schedule for the high school that did nothing to solve the overcrowding problems. I remember that there were a few parents and teachers on the committee I joined together with to try and bring about a real discussion about the need for another high school. We were quickly basically told to shut the hell up in a nice bureaucratic way. The arguments at the time against building a second high school ALL centered around one thing: athletics, plain and simple. Those in charge simply would not allow anything (in this case a desperately needed second high school) to risk knocking BHS out of the 5A category.

If you think the city-state that the BHS campus is today is a horror, you would be utterly appalled if the original plans the district had for the expansion had gone through. The Board wanted to turn BHS into a "mini-college" that would extend from 29th Street and Briarcrest Street ALL THE WAY back to the Hwy 6 Bypass. In the model presented to us around 1994 I think, the campus would have been comprised of nearly thirty-odd major buildings! Thankfully voters rejected the costly bond proposal that was put before them, and when the Board went back to the drawing table, they had to curtail their grand plans substantially.

Hmm, I think I remember the bond issue that failed, I believe that was a different vote than the one I remember. I'll have to ask my mom to refresh my memory, she was on the comittee I was talking about. I was Class of '94, so my attention was diverted for a few years after graduating.

Are you still a Bryanite, or do you live elsewhere?

• 8 months later...

I think a second high school in Bryan will do wonders for the city as a whole. This should really open up all of that vacant land along the Bypass to development...especially with the extension of Austins Colony Pkwy and the expansion of Old Reliance. I think a new high school or the construction of one is viewed as a sign of a vibrant community and this might be the ticket for some national retailers and food service providers to finally look seriously at Bryan again.

I still think a secound high school should go on the west side.

You and half the city. I thought that too but all of the demographic studies BISD has done show that over 52% of growth in the district over the next 10 years will occur north and east of Hwy 6. I suppose this is the only way they can keep one high school from becoming the one left behind if you know what I mean. I do think its odd that they selected a site thats not even 2 miles from the current high school. The site they've chosen does have much greater visibility though and should look nice from the highway. Same goes for the site for the 4th middle school...Hwy 6 & North Texas Ave. The article I read said it was going to a top notch campus that will help create a very nice entrance to the city. I know a couple of the school board members and they really care about Bryan so I guess I have to trust their judgement.

BISD trustees OK plan for new campus

District to seek input on preliminary design

By HOLLY HUFFMAN

Eagle Staff Writer

http://www.bryanisd.org/docs/HS2-Web.pdf

Designs for Bryan's second public high school were approved Monday by school trustees who got their first glimpse of the T-shaped building that will face the proposed extension of Austin's Colony Parkway.

The building is anchored by a central rotunda with two hallways jutting off on either side, north and south. One hallway directs students and teachers to a library and a block of classrooms, as well as practice and competition gyms. Down the opposing hallway, there will be administrative offices, special programs and an auditorium.

The back of the rotunda opens to a small courtyard, which leads to the school cafeteria.

"It's impressive," Superintendent Mike Cargill said Monday after the preliminary plans were presented to trustees during their monthly workshop.

The new high school, facing east, is the biggest component of the district's $104 million bond package passed earlier this year. The bond program also called for a new middle school, a rebuilt Bonham Elementary School and renovations to a dozen other campuses.

Set to open in fall 2008, the $46 million high school will be built on 97 acres just off North Earl Rudder Freeway near the intersection of Old Reliance Road and Austin's Colony Parkway. The parkway, which now is a dead-end street, will be extended as part of the project and will run along the front of the campus, school officials said.

The new campus is expected to be an estimated 271,000 square feet and will accommodate up to 1,500 students, administrators have said. Bryan High School is 522,000 square feet and has about 3,600 students. The designs for the new school were presented Monday by representatives from Austin-based BLGY Architects, the firm hired to design the school.

Also earmarked in the plan: space for competition and practice fields for softball and baseball teams, practice fields for football teams and the marching band, a field house and a track. Possible sites for future tennis courts and a natatorium were drawn up as well.

"We're talking to you about schematic design," architect Barry Sikes told trustees, asking them to look at the broad plan rather than focusing in on details at this stage in the design process. "We're looking to the school board to agree we are going in the right direction."

Trustee Brett Cumpton, who is an architect but has no business affiliation with the project, said he liked that space was earmarked within the design for potential expansion. Board member David Stasny asked whether the district could afford to build competition baseball and softball fields at the new school, suggesting that teams at the new school could play at existing Bryan High fields.

School officials and trustees stressed Monday that construction of the competition fields and other facilities already established at Bryan High would be contingent upon district funds.

Administrators said they plan to post the preliminary plans on the district's Web site - www.bryanisd.org - and throughout the community so residents can review the plans and provide feedback either online or through comment cards. District officials will announce later this week when and where the plans will be posted. Once posted, the plans likely will remain up throughout November, administrators said.

Bryan trustees select new schools' names

By LAURA HENSLEY

Eagle Staff Writer

Bryan's second high school will be named for a local World War II hero, and the district's planned fourth middle school will bear the name of a noted Hispanic community leader, board members decided Monday.

AT A GLANCE

Bryan school board members unanimously approved names for the district's second high school and planned fourth middle school.

The high school will bear the name of World War II hero James Earl Rudder, and the middle school will be named Arthur L. Davila Middle School after a noted Hispanic community member.

The names James Earl Rudder High School and Arthur L. Davila Middle School received unanimous approval from trustees, who considered a list of other names chosen and recommended by a 10-person committee made up of teachers and community members.

School board policy requires that new schools be named for distinguished, deceased Texans, but officials pointed out that Bryan has a long tradition of always doing so regardless of the requirement.

Other namesakes in contention for the high school included former U.S. Congresswoman Barbara Jordan and Richard Carter, one of Bryan's first teachers. In the running for the middle school name were Claude Scurry, a former coach and administrator who worked for the district for more than 30 years until 1976, and Lorenzo deZavala, a former Mexican governor and Texas colonizer who signed the Texas Declaration of Independence.

"It's an issue of extreme importance," said Trustee Merrill Green. "It's a decision that will last a lifetime."

Rudder, an Army general, led the Second Ranger Battalion, which stormed the beach at Pointe du Hoc during the D-Day invasion. He also became president of Texas A&M University in 1957. In 1967, Rudder was given the Distinguished Service Medal, the highest peacetime service award.

Davila was the first Hispanic to be elected to the Bryan school board, on which he served 13 years. He also was the president of the Ben Milam Parent-Teachers Association, a member of the Bryan Charter Review Committee, a Brazos County Tax Appraisal District trustee, president of the Brazos Valley Community Action Committee and a member of the First Federal Savings Bank Board of Directors.

During discussion, school board member Carl Hasan leaned more toward naming the high school for Barbara Jordan, the first black woman from the South to serve in the U.S. Congress.

"Their is so much Rudder in the region," he said referring to other landmarks bearing the Rudder name. "It is in my mind that the more appropriate choice is Barbara Jordan."

Board President Chris Peterson said Rudder was an easy choice considering the leader's contribution to the community, as well as his local ties.

"James Earl Rudder is a home run for us," he said. "It ties in with Texas A&M. I think there is an opportunity to have interesting differences between the two [high] schools by going in this direction."

All board members agreed that naming the middle school for Davila was a good choice after two community members spoke in favor of choosing the name. After the board made the decision, the audience broke out in applause.

"We need to give Hispanics and children of a different color someone to look up to and give them hope," said J.J. Ramirez, founder of Save Our Streets Ministries. "[it's] a great message to send to kids in the community that they can be outstanding also."

In other board business, trustees approved schematic designs for Arthur L. Davila Middle School.

The 148,000-square-foot school will be built near Texas Avenue and Earl Rudder Freeway in the northern part of the city and will house sixth, seventh and eighth grades.

"This is going to be a prominent and prestigious structure that announces, 'Welcome to Bryan,'" said Brad Hughes of Bay Architects, which is charged with designing the new school.

Among the proposed amenities of the school are four tennis courts, a six-lane track, a football field, a performing arts area and three specially-designed academic areas for each grade. The scheduled groundbreaking for the $17 million school is July 20, 2006.

Schematic designs for the middle school are available for viewing on the district's Web site, www.bryanisd.org.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand he was a decorated war veteran, and very active locally, but the way things are going, everything in this town is going to be named Earl Rudder. Rudder Tower, Rudder Theater, Earl Rudder Frwy, James Earl Rudder High, We need some diversity here, not name everything after one single person. Maybe its just me...

I understand he was a decorated war veteran, and very active locally, but the way things are going, everything in this town is going to be named Earl Rudder. Rudder Tower, Rudder Theater, Earl Rudder Frwy, James Earl Rudder High, We need some diversity here, not name everything after one single person. Maybe its just me...

I was thinking the samething, like Harvey Road and Harvey Mitchell Parkway.

I was thinking the samething, like Harvey Road and Harvey Mitchell Parkway.

Thats another good example, if your familiar with San Antonio, its the same way there also, with the name Wurzbach. They have 3 or 4 major roads with that name. Harry Wurzbach Rd, Wurzbach Rd, Harry Wurzbach HWY, Wurzbach Plaza, Wurzbach Tower. Im sure this list continues, but thats the ones im aware of.

Is Harvey Rd. named for Harvey Mitchell?

I don't think there is too much Rudder, yet. We just have the Rudder complex at A&M whose parts are each named "Rudder ______", but it is not like they are all over the place, it is one location on campus. Then we have a portion of a highway, and now a high school. The buildings and road are stationary but the high school will represent the community around the state. Aside from the fact that it should have been built ten years ago, I am exicited about Rudder High.

Archived