What exactly is "restored"

I have looked at some "restored" houses around recently and not sure what that term actually means. Is it restored to original? Thats how I define it. Several of the houses I have seen (1900-1940`s era) seem to skip the foundation , leveling issues and general structural items (roof, patching of sheetrock) . Then its just a case of paint and polish...which I call a golden turd....looks great, just dont pokeit too much. I am not trying to bust any company in particular, just curious what people expect when that term is used.

The National Park Service has a definition and standards for historic restoration that most would agree with.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/HPS/tps/standards/restoration.htm

RESTORATION IS DEFINED AS the act or process of accurately depicting the form, features, and character of a property as it appeared at a particular period of time by means of the removal of features from other periods in its history and reconstruction of missing features from the restoration period. The limited and sensitive upgrading of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and other code-required work to make properties functional is appropriate within a restoration project.

Repainting is not exactly restoration, although most would be happy if paint is the only thing a remuddler did to a historic structure. At least they are not removing period hardware and replacing original windows. However, the "extensive remodels" often replace "old" hardware and windows with new, completely ruining the historic nature of a structure.

The urge to replace old with new can be overwhelming, especially when all of the easy restoration has been done. The urge to "pretty up" a place with new doorknobs and windows, and to add crown moulding can make even people who appreciate old homes succumb to the temptation. While a purist may cringe, I try not to be too judgmental, as at least they saved the structure in the first place. This is more than most people would do.

Well, the reason I asked is there are some that think they are getting something they arent....I looked at structural problems for a friend and after explaining the problem, the response was...it was restored in 1990....maybe, but they forgot to address structural/sagging floor issues. Sometimes I think I put way too much effort into my house, doing things that will never be seen, but just to ensure its life.

Well, the reason I asked is there are some that think they are getting something they arent....I looked at structural problems for a friend and after explaining the problem, the response was...it was restored in 1990....maybe, but they forgot to address structural/sagging floor issues. Sometimes I think I put way too much effort into my house, doing things that will never be seen, but just to ensure its life.

GREASER i tend to agree that people think of restorations differently. while cosmetic items are what usually catch people's eyes, there can be some things that aren't visible that really cheapen a restoration. one particular item i'm talking about is removal of shiplap from interior walls to allow for ease in rewiring/insulating/etc. the labor to replace it is too much for some restorers and hence they just sheetrock over the exposed studs. IMO this lowers the value of the home, but since it isn't visible most will never know. for me structurally and cosmetically to have a good restoration, you have to leave them as original as possible. the wiring/plumbing can be upgraded without affecting the "restoration."

you didn't put too much effort into your house, you cared cause it is your home not a house you were planning on reselling.

When I was in architecture school, we learned that to "restore" a historic structure meant to return it to its exact state at a certain period of time, i.e. no modern conveniences at all. Anything else is termed a "renovation". Very few structures (including museums and historic sites) are "restored" in a pure sense, since curators typically add electricity and HVAC for the comfort of the visitors. Building codes can also dictate certain deviations from the exact original appearance. Most museums and historic sites would qualify as "visual restorations", in that work was done to closely return the building to its appearace during a chosen historic period, while taking extra measures to hide modern systems and code requirements.

Living in Houston has made me less of a purist - I'm just glad to see the structure still standing! ^_^

Archived