Mods around town

BenH

In an effort to kickstart conversation on this board that isn't furniture related, I thought I'd post a few shots from around town.

The first two come from the Riverbend subdivision, across Voss from Second Baptist Church. This one is by Goleman & Rolfe and appears to be flight-worthy.

DSC_0056-1.jpg

This one is classic Neuhaus & Taylor, but was not featured in Ben Koush's book. I believe it was built in 1963. I was trying out an infrared film conversion in photoshop. How does it look?

DSC_0140Infraredcopy.jpg

An unknown mod from Tanglewood. There are several like this in that area, and from the looks of it, I'd say the same architect designed this one as did the long house on Brown Saddle. There's a japanese looking mod across the street.

DSC_0002copy-1.jpg

Off to Memorial Bend. This is 330 Elecktra, probably the most famous house in the Bend and according to Michael Brichford, was William Norman Floyd's favorite. It was recently saved from the chopping block by a mid-century mod furniture collector.

DSC_0019copy.jpg

I can't divulge the location of this house for various reasons, but it was designed by Wylie W. Vale, is in a gated community and will be torn down at some point. A shame too, because Mr. Vale supervised rennovations in 2003, but the owner had to move for business reasons. The house is filled with redwood detailing, and beautifully integrates the Houston organic school with newer updates.

DSC_0146copy.jpg

And finally, 4111 Drummund by Lars Bang.

DSC_0015copy-1.jpg

Hope y'all enjoy.

Keep up the great work! I'm still looking forward to seeing the Hoff house if the picture came out ok.

Also, if I hadn't mentioned it, there are a few more new additions in the "Mods Still With Us" section at Houstonmod.org. I can't wait until school is out so I can continue updating the site.

Jason

Nice photos.

I grew up in Riverbend. It is such a great neighborhood since around 40% of the houses have the Buffalo Bayou as their back yard! Unfortunately, the tear down craze is slowly creeping in back there. Many of the homes are also owned by older married couples who are getting quite old. I hope they can survive because I imagine the land values are steep. An interesting fact though is that while technically Riverbend is in Hunter's Creek Village, it is zoned to H.I.S.D. Hopefully that'll keep the McMansion folks attracted to Memorial H.S. away...

The Drummond house looks awesome. Hopefully some Mod lovers will keep it alive as Ayrshire is redeveloped.

There are alot of cool houses in there, but a lot of junk too.

flipper

By the way, 4111 Drummond is receiving the full restoration treatment, as I understand. The owners actually live next door and are taking their time getting it in shape. That house is on the short list of coolest and probably most influential houses in Houston as it recieved a lot of national attention when it was built.

Jason

The Drummond house looks awesome. Hopefully some Mod lovers will keep it alive as Ayrshire is redeveloped.

There are alot of cool houses in there, but a lot of junk too.

flipper

By the way, 4111 Drummond is receiving the full restoration treatment, as I understand. The owners actually live next door and are taking their time getting it in shape. That house is on the short list of coolest and probably most influential houses in Houston as it recieved a lot of national attention when it was built.

Jason

Yes, 4111 Drummond is one of Houston's modern architectural shrines.

On what street is the third house shown above, the one in Tanglewood, located?

just wondering if anyone has seen those new homes on drexel? for the area they stand out as different. one of them if ur coming from richmond is before westheimer. i would pass by that house everyday and see it's construction from slab up, but now that it's painted it looks moo. there's another house further down drexel a little bit before you hit san felip that looks interesting. or at least imo it does.

Archived