Historic Preservation Tools

Subdude

• 2 weeks later...
Frank Lloyd Wright?  Are you sure?

Yes, there is one Frank Lloyd Wright house in the Houston area. It's well hidden at the cul-de-sac at the end of a small street in Bunker Hill Village, but it's there. E-mail me if you want the address and directions.

Wasn't that FLW house remodeled out of recognition?  If you've seen it ssulivan, what do you think about it?  Does it look "Wright-ian"?

I think it had an extensive remodeling done and it but then newer owners did a lot of restoration to it. It looks very "Wright-ian" to me, although I've only seen the front exterior. I don't know what's been done to the interior of it, and I think that may be where most of the changes were made.

• 7 months later...

What is involved in renewing deed restrictions? I live in a lovely neighborhood (built around the 30's) which is recently seing disturbances from builders who are demolishing perfectly good homes to of course, build big monstrosities, and a dental clinic. The clinic doesn't want to respect the lines and eventhough most of the neighborhood is against them, apparently there is not much we can do at this point.

You have no idea how much this bothers me :angry: , I moved from New Orleans and was used to a very strong preservationist mentality. It is difficult to observe how so many Houstonians do not see the value of preserving the old architecture.

I think people should realize that preserving the old homes could actually improve the apreciation of their property.

What is involved in renewing deed restrictions? I live in a lovely neighborhood (built around the 30's) which is recently seing disturbances from builders who are demolishing perfectly good homes to of course, build big monstrosities, and a dental clinic. The clinic doesn't want to respect the lines and eventhough most of the neighborhood is against them, apparently there is not much we can do at this point.

You have no idea how much this bothers me  :angry: , I moved from New Orleans and was used to a very strong preservationist mentality. It is difficult to observe how so many Houstonians do not see the value of preserving the old architecture.

I think people should realize that preserving the old homes could actually improve the apreciation of their property.

You'd think people would realize, but.....

Guest danax

You have no idea how much this bothers me  :angry: , I moved from New Orleans and was used to a very strong preservationist mentality. It is difficult to observe how so many Houstonians do not see the value of preserving the old architecture.

To renew expired deed restrictions, you have to start from square one all over again. Our civic club president (Pecan Park Civic Association) has been working on this for years, and we're about to start the petitioning process. I'm taking her for her word on most of this but she's had a lot of discussions with the City Atty's office as they will instruct you how to do it.

Even with deed restrictions, there are ways for developers to get around them. People in the neighborhood must be on the watch for signs indicating hearings at the Planning Commission. The developer can ask for a replat and, if no one shows up, the it's likely to go through and, once one gets through, it's easier for the next guy to use the first case as a precedent. And, even with deed restrictions and people showing up for the 2:30pm hearing, one tactic is to defer it (postpone it), which can take place the same day before you show up (happened to us) then, trying to get the same people to take off work again if harder. However, at least with deed restrictions you can get the City Atty's office to recommend against it on those grounds.

We've had some guy buy 2 of the lots around Pecan Park, actually in a small subdivision the has deed restrictions, and so I've been through the above process. He tore down 2 houses from the 40s on 2 adjacent lots he bought, and has built 2 patio homes, 1 on each lot, and tried to get a replat to make the 2 lots into 3 lots so he could squeeze another patio home in there. And the guy first presented the civic club with plans that showed 2 of these houses that had brick veneer with2 car garages and they looked pretty nice. Now, they're past the framing stage and they're hardy plank with NO garage, just a driveway. The ghetto version of the modern patio home.

So the successful replat is how Houston allows old neighborhoods to be torn down and re-invented ala Rice Military. I'm not saying it's a planning commission conspiracy but the city does benefit more from higher end, higher density units than from old, suburban lot size housing in terms of tax revenues.

Without zoning and real preservation ordinances, it's really a battle between the civic clubs and the developers. Even the one preservation ordinance available is tailor made for developers; all they have to do is wait 90 days after a successful protest and do whatever they want. Sometimes the City Atty can help, although they roll over easily too if a developer gets their own outside attorney and the civic club can't afford to squander whatever money it has for their own attorney. We have one deal now where some bozo built a casket store in violation of deed restrictions and, even though we notified the City Atty, the business owner's attorney somehow convinced the City that it's ok because other businesses are already operating in violation of deed restrictions there, such a truck drivers who take their tractors home and park them in the driveway. A weak argument but the City Atty went along with it and didn't even notify us. We had to call up and say, hey, the place is still there, what's up? and then they told us, oh yeah, well...etc. etc.

The group in the Heights are probably the best example of the type of organization that an area needs to preserve what they have.

danex makes sense.

It's terrifically hard to get folks off their couches and MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

We do have a democratic society. Unfortunately, people don't seem to realize that the slightest effort on your part can make a difference.

Maybe an hour or two a month spent reading about issues which affect your neighborhood, and particiapting in the politial process could affect your quality of life more than you think.

That you care enough to read this forum speaks well of you. Take it through to the next step; participate!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived