Endangered Mod

rps324

I was told this house was designed by Lars Bang. It certainly looks like his type of design. It is for sale and being marketed as a potential tear down. It is priced in the upper $200's and is located at the west end of Durness in Ayrshire.

IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0144.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was told this house was designed by Lars Bang.  It certainly looks like his type of design.  It is for sale and being marketed as a potential tear down.  It is priced in the upper $200's and is located at the west end of Durness in Ayrshire.

IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0144.jpg

I like the lots glass in front. Very Euro. Oh well, what can we do. It's a shame. Upper 200s for a teardown eh? Man. These mods, unfortunately, are coming of age in terms of historic appreciation at the same time as the McManisons and, are in neighborhoods in Houston that are becoming desireable again at the same time.

A potentially tragic combination of events.

I think the problem is not that they are being torn down, but rather that there aren't enough enthusiasts left around for the mods. I appreciate them myself, but never in my life would I purchase one. They will never fit my needs. I think that's what most people think when they see these: "That's nice, but not what I need.."

Glen

I have enough enthusiasts buyers, (well, I never have ENOUGH buyers, I'll always take more) the problem is finding these type houses that either:

A). Have not been Home-Cheapo'ed to death. With new colonial cabinetry in the kitchen, new cheap tile over the terrazzo, and the ever-popular colonial door with the oval leaded glass insert trimmed in bright shiny brass. Too often they have been stripped of the very characteristics that make them attractive to mod enthusiasts, yet they still are not traditional enough to fit the needs of people who want a more conventional floorplan & style. Of course the sellers price them to recoup the costs of their bad remuddle jobs, even though they have made the house less appealing to the best target audience to sell them to.

B). Haven't been properly maintained, but are in popular neighborhoods & are on large lots so they are priced high with an invitation for redevelopment. That's the problem I have had with this one. Not only will it take a mod enthusiast, but one willing to take on the renovation expenses, which will be substantial. The same problem exists for a great William Floyd that is currently available in Memorial Bend. I know clients that would love to have it, but since it is on a large lot, it is priced pretty high ($350k) even though it needs some repairs.

Just out of curiosity, what is it in general about these style homes that you think would not make them work for you? Most have pretty livable floorplans.

I love that! Of course I have my own mod already. But I wish I had the cash for that one.

I love my mid century specifically because of the layout and design. It's so open and built for entertaining. Oh sure the kitchen counters and appliances need to be updated, but it's a small price to pay to not live in a copy of my neighbor's home.

I forgot to mention, that in Lake Charles, LA - you can find mods, like these in Houston, in pristine condition with 30 & 40 year home owners in their 70's & 80's looking to sell for under 150k. 

Lake Jackson, 55 miles south of Houston, is like that too. It was developed just after WWII by the architect Alden Dow to house workers for the Dow Chemical Company. Almost all of the older, large buildings and houses are mod. Of course, a lot of the newer stuff is not. Why?

I believe that a lot of people my age (mid-40's) grew up in neighborhoods that had a lot of mod or mod-inspired design, and to us, it just looks "old-fashioned." My elementary school had a spectacular mod building, though I didn't know it at the time. It just seemed "old." Our nostalgia for the 50s and 60s doesn't extend to living that way, with glass walls, low ceilings, and carports instead of garages. Also, the kitchen and bath explosion of the 80s makes us less interested in living with small kitchens and baths.

Lake Jackson is featured in a recent issue of Cite.

Marty

Lake Jackson, 55 miles south of Houston, is like that too.  It was developed just after WWII by the architect Alden Dow to house workers for the Dow Chemical Company.  Almost all of the older, large buildings and houses are mod.  Of course, a lot of the newer stuff is not.  Why?

I believe that a lot of people my age (mid-40's) grew up in neighborhoods that had a lot of mod or mod-inspired design, and to us, it just looks "old-fashioned."  My elementary school had a spectacular mod building, though I didn't know it at the time.  It just seemed "old." Our nostalgia for the 50s and 60s doesn't extend to living that way, with glass walls, low ceilings, and carports instead of garages.  Also, the kitchen and bath explosion of the 80s makes us less interested in living with small kitchens and baths.

Lake Jackson is featured in a recent issue of Cite.

Marty

I think most people don't like what they grew up in. I had an old house in the sixth ward, the oldest private home in Houston supposedly. High ceilings, clawfoot tub, the whole bit. All my relatives of my parent's generation were less than impressed. It was what they had growing up and it just seemed old fashioned to them, but not in a good way.

Yes, I have studied the original plans for this house and it was designed by architect Lars Bang in 1955. The location is 4135 Durness Way in Houston, Teaxs, 77025. This is an excellent area between West University Place and Bellaire. It's at the end of a cul-de-sac in the Ayrshire addition.

Features are four bedrooms, two full baths and a two car carport. The almost completely unaltered interior includes tall beamed ceilings in the living, dining, kitchen and breakfast areas. Also found are terrazzo floors, many built-ins including a large dressing area in the master bedroom, abundant closets, skylights, cove lighting, walls of glass and access to the outdoors from most rooms.

+/- 2132 SF house on +/- 13,678 SF lot

This is an excellent house. It is unassuming from the street and spectacular from the living areas. That's just the opposite of the way McMansions are built. They want to show how big and important they are. The axiom "God is in the details," sometimes credited to architect Mies van der Rohe, holds true in regards to the quality of this house. Bangs thoughtful attention to the details of this house make it a great feeling place. You very seldome find this in the giant empty big box McMansions. This house is so very appropriate for the time it was constructed since it reflects the thoughtfulness of the period. McMansions are unappropriate for any period as they are nothing but big boxes with Disney-like stylings added.

At 50 years old, this house is still appropriate for todays living.

I was told this house was designed by Lars Bang.  It certainly looks like his type of design.  It is for sale and being marketed as a potential tear down.  It is priced in the upper $200's and is located at the west end of Durness in Ayrshire.

IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0144.jpg

don't care much for the facade (i'm hit and miss with 50's modernism) but i do love the living area. i think it's a crime that history is being torn down for soulless mcmansions.

3. I've found that these homes are almost like the Delorean cars. They were cool, are still cool, and will continue to be cool - IF[b/] you are prepared to spend money to first buy, and then renovate them. As you said in your post, this is quite expensive. On a fireman's budget, I'm going to be happy to just retire in Briargrove Park. That's high "faloot" for me :)

Glen

I disagree. I recenly bought a wonderful 1950s modern house that didn't cost very much ($112K) and I was able to renovate it on an architect's bduget which I assure you is very much less than that of a fireman.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
Better see it while you can....

To see other mods in different price ranges go on Houston mod and click on buildings, then available mod properties.

Hehe thanks. I've been keeping an eye on your listings for awhile.

Question: Is the Heights and Timbergrove prettymuch devoid of Mod homes? Seems like alot of those homes were going up about the right time but I just havent run across any references yet. Not that I recall anyway.

Hehe thanks. I've been keeping an eye on your listings for awhile.

Question: Is the Heights and Timbergrove prettymuch devoid of Mod homes? Seems like alot of those homes were going up about the right time but I just havent run across any references yet. Not that I recall anyway.

There was an incredible one in Timbergrove on Queenswood that came on the market this week, then the terminated the listing the next day. It was in Houston House & Home last summer I believe.

There are a few in Lazybrook & Timbergrove, and then north of Garden Oaks/Oak Forest in Candlelight Estates there are a couple as well. By that I mean they exist there, finding them for sale, unfortunately, is another matter!

• 2 months later...
:( A sign went up in the front yard this weekend for a builder. I called to see if there was any price they would consider selling it, but they already have a buyer that is custom building on the lot.

:( A sign went up in the front yard this weekend for a builder.  I called to see if there was any price they would consider selling it, but they already have a buyer that is custom building on the lot.

:( Is there anything we can do to stop this. It is disappointing when history is destroyed like this. I feel so helpless and I am really, really upset that this builder is choosing to destory this piece of history rather than perserve it.

• 1 year later...

We drove by this house today and it is still there - one year later. Does anyone know what happened with it?

Jason

I don't see how. I know they paid about $253k or so and I could get them $285 or more easily, I would even back out and forego the commission if it would make the deal work for the seller. But I have gotten nowhere.

There is now another mod for sale facing Braeswood in Ayrshire. It just came up for only $250k and the remarks say all original. At that price it is risking the same fate and is being marketed for the lot. (after all, who wants one of those old odd looking moderns?!) :angry:

I don't see how. I know they paid about $253k or so and I could get them $285 or more easily, I would even back out and forego the commission if it would make the deal work for the seller. But I have gotten nowhere.

There is now another mod for sale facing Braeswood in Ayrshire. It just came up for only $250k and the remarks say all original. At that price it is risking the same fate and is being marketed for the lot. (after all, who wants one of those old odd looking moderns?!) :angry:

what is the address on braeswood and is the durness still for sale

Better see it while you can....

To see other mods in different price ranges go on Houston mod and click on buildings, then available mod properties.

non of the album in 'houstonmod' is working

Archived