Surveyors At Lawndale St. And Telephone Rd.

ya that area. So they are going to build a school? As long as its not another bus station or 99 cent store.

yes supposedly they will build a school. Kipp is the organization, you've been hearing about on the news and they intend to increase their presence significantly in the houston area.

ya that area. So they are going to build a school? As long as its not another bus station or 99 cent store.

THANK YOU!

No more blasted bus stations to black eye this neighborhood. What the world is Kipp Academy?

Best I recall there was supposed to be a huge housing deal built there. Plans were scraped and I am so glad. Developers want to keep shoving more low income families in here and they wont build the facilities to accomodate them. I mean like better grocery stores, dry cleaners and restuarants. Kind of like buying a car and not having gas to fill it.

Can you think of a worse idea? Building a huge housing complex or school right next to RR tracks? Madness, as is kids have been getting killed or maimed on those tracks as long as I can remember. Its going to be trouble no matter what gets built as the car wash is directly across the street and that AA place is just down lawndale where major THUGS do hang out. (About 3 months ago one tried to kidnap a kid @ Dismuke & Lawndale). Best case scenario would be to build high rent townhomes to professionals, its the only salvation left for this area and would cause a resurgence in the near East End. We don't get many chances like this. This area has so much potential why do we settle for crumbs? ....Ok I'm allright now....really. :P

Never mind I found the link:

http://www.kipphouston.org/kipp/Default_EN.asp

I just think that the phrase "at risk" has such negative connotations to it. I see "losers" in blaring neon lights. Sorry but the plain truth. Whole new topic - "Why near East End gets dumped on again and again" When will this vicious cycle end?

After giving it more thought, maybe it is a good thing after all. They appear to be N Calif based and have great success. I haved contacted to at least get a visual image of what it will look like then I will post. To be updated!

http://www.kipp.org/docs/press/2007_03_20_...n_Expansion.pdf

• 7 months later...
When I tried to add a post to the Kipp Academy property thread, the page wasn't available.

Yesterday when I drove by, I noticed that the field across from the Eastwood Post Office had been mowed recently and there were new ribboned stakes all over. Anyone know what's going on?

Probably survey stakes and/or utility markers. That's a fair indication that it is at least under contract to a new owner, if it hasn't sold already.

• 3 weeks later...
Probably survey stakes and/or utility markers. That's a fair indication that it is at least under contract to a new owner, if it hasn't sold already.

Update: Kipp now has a new Request for Variance sign on the property. Several days ago, while I was at the Eastwood Post Office, I noticed a car parked at the gate and a man with a blueprint in his hand. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop and ask questions...

I contacted the main local for this new endeavor and the people told me that groundbreaking would not start for 2 years and completion for another 4-5 years? if that makes any sense. I think they are guessing. I would go online and ask as I did. Hopefully the nearby bars ie; (Stephanie's) will have to go due to this being a school?

Seperate note: That old Christmas Furniture Store across the XX tracks is about to collapse onto itself.

Its a miracle there are no "property Condemned" signs posted, and the side is wide open for t-r-o-u-b-l-e. Must be caught up in the legal dept? Dangerous situation. :ph34r:

When I tried to add a post to the Kipp Academy property thread, the page wasn't available.

Yesterday when I drove by, I noticed that the field across from the Eastwood Post Office had been mowed recently and there were new ribboned stakes all over. Anyone know what's going on?

The topics have been merged.

Although a lot of of over here would've preferred a sexy cluster of townhomes, based on their website info, I'm going to have to give this school a thumbs up. It seems that only 1 out of maybe 5 or 6 teen males on my street hasn't dropped out, so the below quote is encouraging. It will help some who live here already, will give any newcomers with children an alternative to the low-achieving HISD environments and, might produce some educated adults who can return to help improve this changing area.

"We believe the quality education that our students receive will greatly determine the opportunities they have to participate in a multicultural society. Nationally, 80 percent of KIPP alumni who graduated KIPP in the eighth grade have enrolled in college, as compared to community averages of less than 20 percent. "

The topics have been merged.

Although a lot of of over here would've preferred a sexy cluster of townhomes, based on their website info, I'm going to have to give this school a thumbs up. It seems that only 1 out of maybe 5 or 6 teen males on my street hasn't dropped out, so the below quote is encouraging. It will help some who live here already, will give any newcomers with children an alternative to the low-achieving HISD environments and, might produce some educated adults who can return to help improve this changing area.

"We believe the quality education that our students receive will greatly determine the opportunities they have to participate in a multicultural society. Nationally, 80 percent of KIPP alumni who graduated KIPP in the eighth grade have enrolled in college, as compared to community averages of less than 20 percent. "

I agree,

and I found the response from a few months ago. See below

we are not expected to build a permanent building on that site until around 2010 or so –fyi

If you want to see what the bldgs would look like you can look at our bldgs on our SW campus at 10711 KIPP Way .

Thanks and plow on,

MikeJ

Mike Feinberg

Co-Founder

KIPP

10711 KIPP Way

Houston, TX 77099

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It appears that construction has been started on the east side of the Kipp Academy site.

Across the street (Lawndale), a major renovation of the Eastwood Branch Post Office is underway.

And, just down the street at the corner of Telephone and Dumble, it seems that tour buses are no longer being parked in front of the Art Deco service station building.

We've a long way to go, but perhaps the redevelopment of the Near East End is picking up speed...

This morning I also noticed surveyors at 45 & Lockwood/Elgin on the Macy's side. They had planted many flags and were spray painting the ground. Not sure what is going on there but perhaps Light Rail related, Metro/Road, New Construction on that site?????

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

PS as Gas prices go up the land value of our area goes up with it, it's really getting exciting.

This morning I also noticed surveyors at 45 & Lockwood/Elgin on the Macy's side. They had planted many flags and were spray painting the ground. Not sure what is going on there but perhaps Light Rail related, Metro/Road, New Construction on that site?????

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

PS as Gas prices go up the land value of our area goes up with it, it's really getting exciting.

Yes, I noticed them, too! Does anyone have accurate information as to what's happening?

Also, Pitre's Cleaners across from the Park & Ride lot has closed and the buildings on that corner appear empty. A dry cleaners with another name recently opened on the corner of Dumble and Munger - wonder if it's owned by the same people? The one time I took some items to Pitre's, the counter help didn't speak or understand English and they seemed terribly disorganized. They did an adequate job, though, and didn't lose my clothes.

Yes, I noticed them, too! Does anyone have accurate information as to what's happening?

Also, Pitre's Cleaners across from the Park & Ride lot has closed and the buildings on that corner appear empty. A dry cleaners with another name recently opened on the corner of Dumble and Munger - wonder if it's owned by the same people? The one time I took some items to Pitre's, the counter help didn't speak or understand English and they seemed terribly disorganized. They did an adequate job, though, and didn't lose my clothes.

I hope they are out of business. Destroyed some expensive items for me once. They are unorganized and do not know how to run that type of business. City did a horrible job of paving that section of Munger. See the lousy patch up job? Now there are huge potholes all the way end to end. You have to dodge them now.

The new cleaners was a welding shop and on those two corners there once was a 3 story colonial Edwardian style home with a huge wrap around porch and where the new cleaners is was a really nice Craftsman style bungalow home with a wrap around porch too. My old pals lived in the two. Both torn down for those ugly tin shacks and carport.

We need to dredge up the East End wish list topic. :)

• 1 month later...
I hope they are out of business. Destroyed some expensive items for me once. They are unorganized and do not know how to run that type of business. City did a horrible job of paving that section of Munger. See the lousy patch up job? Now there are huge potholes all the way end to end. You have to dodge them now.

The new cleaners was a welding shop and on those two corners there once was a 3 story colonial Edwardian style home with a huge wrap around porch and where the new cleaners is was a really nice Craftsman style bungalow home with a wrap around porch too. My old pals lived in the two. Both torn down for those ugly tin shacks and carport.

We need to dredge up the East End wish list topic. :)

The potholes are ridiculous. I would drive home that way too...I avoid that street all together. About that new dry cleaner place: I took my pair of dress pants last month...Picked them up 2 days later and noticed a rust-color stain on the inside of the waistband....they didn't even have POS machine...I had to pay cash. I was excited to have a dry cleaner so close to home...now I'm disappointed. I may go back in a few months and hope service improves...(if they're still in business).

Still think an actual school being built right next to RR tracks is a big mistake. :o

Must be way behind schedule and cement for drive way is barely being poured as we type. They really need to put the sign out front to indicate this school is for everyone, not just one segment of the community. Big no-no. I know the drill, new topic. Kung Phooey....

Still think an actual school being built right next to RR tracks is a big mistake. :o

Must be way behind schedule and cement for drive way is barely being poured as we type. They really need to put the sign out front to indicate this school is for everyone, not just one segment of the community. Big no-no. I know the drill, new topic. Kung Phooey....

It's an odd location for a school....I was hoping for a park at least...that location was vacant for years...probably decades...I can already picture kids throwing rocks at the train as it passes by. On a side note...the hole-in-the-wall bar and the run-down gas station on the corner of Lawndale and Dismuke were demolished a few months ago (glad to see them go)...did it have to do with the school?..(being so close)....what will happen to Stephanie's Ice House?...any thoughts/info?

It's an odd location for a school....I was hoping for a park at least...that location was vacant for years...probably decades...I can already picture kids throwing rocks at the train as it passes by. On a side note...the hole-in-the-wall bar and the run-down gas station on the corner of Lawndale and Dismuke were demolished a few months ago (glad to see them go)...did it have to do with the school?..(being so close)....what will happen to Stephanie's Ice House?...any thoughts/info?

It was pure JUBILATION to see that sleazy bar go! The hookers were brazen enough to sale their wares even as JP Henderson children would walk past from school. The gunfire was out of control not to mention dope dealing. Even better was seeing the raunchy old store across the street vanish. maybe it took that poor clerk being gunned down to make the fuzz realize it was time to go by, by. Remember now there is an existing Alcoholic's Anonymous probation kind of place just next to where that bar was. Its hilarious, when they are taking breaks between sessions some walk over an buy brew and slam down across the street. Gotta see to believe. :wacko: Stephanies Ice Dump needs to be imploded too, this is pure negative influence and another eyesore for this area. Children will have to walk right next to that as well. Need to tear down and make a fast food or anything but that.

PS, there was talk about possible closure of JP Henderson recently. Said enrollment had dwindled. Very possible as most renters are being ejected from this immediate area. Yippee! Home buyer's come back! Lot's are still being given away as we speak. Oops! better slow down on the Starbux! Ja! (on a roll) :)

It was pure JUBILATION to see that sleazy bar go! The hookers were brazen enough to sale their wares even as JP Henderson children would walk past from school. The gunfire was out of control not to mention dope dealing. Even better was seeing the raunchy old store across the street vanish. maybe it took that poor clerk being gunned down to make the fuzz realize it was time to go by, by. Remember now there is an existing Alcoholic's Anonymous probation kind of place just next to where that bar was. Its hilarious, when they are taking breaks between sessions some walk over an buy brew and slam down across the street. Gotta see to believe. :wacko: Stephanies Ice Dump needs to be imploded too, this is pure negative influence and another eyesore for this area. Children will have to walk right next to that as well. Need to tear down and make a fast food or anything but that.

PS, there was talk about possible closure of JP Henderson recently. Said enrollment had dwindled. Very possible as most renters are being ejected from this immediate area. Yippee! Home buyer's come back! Lot's are still being given away as we speak. Oops! better slow down on the Starbux! Ja! (on a roll) :)

So that's what that place is?..I always wondered why people who looked like "thugs" and "losers" would hang out outside that place...I thought it was an factory of some sort, leaving work and getting their brew on....should've put two and two together...True story: About 2 years ago my sister got in an accident when a drunk driver leaving that sleazy bar totaled my sister's vehicle as she crossed the intersection...had to be transported to the hospital, but miraculously only suffered minor bruises.

So that's what that place is?..I always wondered why people who looked like "thugs" and "losers" would hang out outside that place...I thought it was an factory of some sort, leaving work and getting their brew on....should've put two and two together...True story: About 2 years ago my sister got in an accident when a drunk driver leaving that sleazy bar totaled my sister's vehicle as she crossed the intersection...had to be transported to the hospital, but miraculously only suffered minor bruises.

I truly believe you! -_-

and for the non-believers, about that same time one of the freaks that was attending AA sessions there tried to kidnap a young boy of about 12 years of age. The kid ran to a nearby house on Dismuke banged on the door and a miracle the owner let him in! The freak still was trying to grab the kid until the owner fought him off. Now thats desperate! The freak was caught and hauled away. The dump continues to operate as we speak.

Then that car wash across from the new school always attracts major gangsta wanna-be's. Beware. This new school will be like placing a group of sheep in the middle of a pack of wolves. Santo cielo! Just being truthful people, sorry. No sugar coating here I'm afraid.

I truly believe you! -_-

and for the non-believers, about that same time one of the freaks that was attending AA sessions there tried to kidnap a young boy of about 12 years of age. The kid ran to a nearby house on Dismuke banged on the door and a miracle the owner let him in! The freak still was trying to grab the kid until the owner fought him off. Now thats desperate! The freak was caught and hauled away. The dump continues to operate as we speak.

Then that car wash across from the new school always attracts major gangsta wanna-be's. Beware. This new school will be like placing a group of sheep in the middle of a pack of wolves. Santo cielo! Just being truthful people, sorry. No sugar coating here I'm afraid.

Did KIPP do their research of the area?....(AA facility, RR, that smutty bar behind it on Telephone)....do they know something we don't?...I guess we just have to wait and see.

Did KIPP do their research of the area?....(AA facility, RR, that smutty bar behind it on Telephone)....do they know something we don't?...I guess we just have to wait and see.

They probably did extensive research. The property is being surrounded with a high fence, part of which has barbed wire on top. With a campus as large as that one, there will likely be all kinds of security measures.

As I understand it, parents of KIPP students are required to sign a contract to assist in every way possible to ensure their child's success in that school. To put it simply: When parents are actively involved with a school, good things happen, even beyond the school yard itself!

On the Telephone Road side of the campus, next to the veterinary clinic, there's a small stone building that's being extensively remodeled with new plate glass windows across the front. Any idea as to what's going in there?

They probably did extensive research. The property is being surrounded with a high fence, part of which has barbed wire on top. With a campus as large as that one, there will likely be all kinds of security measures.

As I understand it, parents of KIPP students are required to sign a contract to assist in every way possible to ensure their child's success in that school. To put it simply: When parents are actively involved with a school, good things happen, even beyond the school yard itself!

On the Telephone Road side of the campus, next to the veterinary clinic, there's a small stone building that's being extensively remodeled with new plate glass windows across the front. Any idea as to what's going in there?

I noticed the glass plate windows last week....Its too far back to notice a building is there...until you're about 1/2 block away.

Maybe your referring to the (former) Rosticeria Mexican Restaurant? The red brick arched one story building. Imagine will be a new eatery? It was pretty good back when it was new and soooo convenient to all of Near East End crowd. Prices were very low with good quality dining. About 8-10 years ago it closed? We knew the end was near when the prices skyrocketed and people couldnt afford. Maybe certain licenses were not renewed so they said close it.

Actually the old dilapidated bldgs next to the Dog & Cat Clinic could be removed for a good entry into the new school. two entries are better than one to this facilty in emergencies, etc. :)

Archived