Home At 226 Pine Hollow Ln.

BenH

This whole street is worthy of an article. 226 surprised me! I had no idea it was so great. 218 is by Jenkins, by the way. I found a small article on it in his scrapbook.

Of course there are also the 2006 RDA tour houses, the McCartney House, and several more cool houses on this street. These are all candidates for the "endangered list" even though they are not currently threatened.

Jason

I'd have to look at the front but I'm 90% certain that is the house he designed for himself - I believe it was his 2nd Houston house. He had one in Glencove/Crestwood and, after this house, one in Tanglewood.

• 1 month later...

I remember visiting some kids I went to school with that lived in Tanglewood. We used to ride our bikes back on those streets and I know there was a driveway off of Briar Dr, further west of Pine Hollow, that crossed over Buffalo Bayou and went to several private homes on the north side of the bayou. I always thought that was so unusual that these homes had access from the south side of the bayou instead of Memorial side.

I've looked on recent arial maps but can't seem to spot this bridge anymore. Does anyone else remember this bridge.

I remember visiting some kids I went to school with that lived in Tanglewood. We used to ride our bikes back on those streets and I know there was a driveway off of Briar Dr, further west of Pine Hollow, that crossed over Buffalo Bayou and went to several private homes on the north side of the bayou. I always thought that was so unusual that these homes had access from the south side of the bayou instead of Memorial side.

I've looked on recent arial maps but can't seem to spot this bridge anymore. Does anyone else remember this bridge.

The only bridge that is like that that I can remember like that is a street called Farther Place off of Westminster. But this is a little further west, near Chimney Rock.

The only bridge that is like that that I can remember like that is a street called Farther Place off of Westminster. But this is a little further west, near Chimney Rock.

No this was east of Chimney Rock. I remember so because Indian Trails was under construction at the time and we went exploring inside unfinished houses on those streets too. But this particular bridge was definitely east of there.

• 12 years later...

I lived in this wonderful house in the mid 60s to late 70s.  I believe the other poster is correct -- that the architect himself was the original tenant, followed by another family, and then our family in the 60s.  I was just devastated to see on Google Earth that the current owner has essentially ruined this beautiful home.  It can no longer be considered a classic mid-century modern work of Houston architecture.  I believe there are photos of how it used to be somewhere on the internet, but it was truly a classy place.

• The title was changed to Home Designed By William Norman Floyd At 226 Pine Hollow Ln.
  • The title was changed to Home At 226 Pine Hollow Ln.

Archived