Carnivals - Empty Lots That Became Wonderland For A Week

Jermaine

I used to love going to the carnivals...the travelling ones that would set up all over town...usually for a week or so in one location. Some of them showed up at certain locations (usually shopping center parking lots) rather sporadically, while others would always be at the same lot during the same time of the year. I remember Northline Mall would have a great big carnival that spanned the entire front parking lot during October EVERY YEAR. Halloween night, it would be PACKED. I remember going there one night in 1976 or so on Halloween night, and hundreds and hundreds of people seemed to be there...half of them in costume. I remember seeing these 4 guys in their early 20's all dressed up like KISS. They looked PERFECT. I was a kid and thought they were SO cool.

There was also a carnival that set up in the Spring in the Northwest Mall lot...it was the same folks that showed up at Northline, I think. One of the most forgotten lots for carnivals was on Parker road and 45 north...right across the strret from the WOOLCO shopping center. There was an empty lot there, next to the Long John Silvers...and they brought an AMAZING carnival there every 6 months for a few years in the late 70s/early 80s with rides I'd never see anywhere else.

That WOOLCO shopping center was PERFECT, by the way....It was anchored by Woolco, with a RICE grocery store beside it, an Eckerd Drugs, and a country-western niteclub (which later became all types of clubs from Chocolate City to the Rhinestone Wrangler). There was also a Dairy Queen in the parking lot (which is now a small liquor store). In the area of the parking lot right beside I-45 was a BONANZA steakhouse.

I'd give anything to go back to 1977. There's GOT to be a way...

I used to love going to the carnivals...the travelling ones that would set up all over town...usually for a week or so in one location. <<Jermaine

There are still quite a few of them around, in fact I saw one packing up just today out by the beltway where that old Auchan Store was. You see them often at Fiesta or places like that. If you want something a little more highbrow, Circe De Soliel is out at the Horserace track right now. They have some cool tents.

I used to love going to the carnivals...the travelling ones that would set up all over town...usually for a week or so in one location. <<Jermaine

There are still quite a few of them around, in fact I saw one packing up just today out by the beltway where that old Auchan Store was. You see them often at Fiesta or places like that. If you want something a little more highbrow, Circe De Soliel is out at the Horserace track right now. They have some cool tents.

Now that Astroworld is gone, you'll have to be content with the traveling carnivals. But since I became a mild diabetic, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the junk food of candy apples, cotton candy, ice cream, etc. But I would be able to get a foot-long corn dog and cover it up with mustard.

Ah yes, growing up in Rosenberg I definitely remember similar things setting up in the parking lot of what's now the Fiesta/Fallas Paredes shopping center. Dead as a doornail during the day but as soon as night comes around... wow! I'd never been just for the simple concerns about, y'know... safety and everything.

After my world expanded into frequent trips to Houston, I kinda wasn't shocked at seeing them set up in the Sharpstown Mall lot and a few other places.

Then again, riding the subway into Boston from Revere over the past few weekends, walking out of the station and seeing a large cordoned off area with a big tent sitting in the middle of Government Center with the words "BIG TOP CIRCUS" atop it was definitely a slice of home.

Then again, riding the subway into Boston from Revere over the past few weekends, walking out of the station and seeing a large cordoned off area with a big tent sitting in the middle of Government Center with the words "BIG TOP CIRCUS" atop it was definitely a slice of home.

That's funny, a pic would have been great! :P

I always wanted to buy a carousel and have in the backyard so all my grown up friends could ride it. The neighbors would probably call for some strait jackets!

• The title was changed to Carnivals- Empty Lots That Became Wonderland For A Week Or So
  • The title was changed to Carnivals - Empty Lots That Became Wonderland For A Week

Archived