Texas Tech Public Art Program Named 10 Best

mrfootball

Represent. We really are on the up and up. In the future i see texas tech being considered one of the big three (four if UH makes a big push) universities in texas. The new buildings on campus are really quite attractive and the landscaping and public art are quite something as well.

IMO, Tech is already one of the big 3. Success in the Big 12, great fundraising, rising enrollment, competition (selectivity on par with A&M 70%, Tech 71%) and steadily rising SAT averages (now only 40 pts behind A&M) ensure that.

There's no other state school in Texas (aside from UT or A&M) that really offers this kind of true big state university experience.

i agree, TTU is in my top three public Texas univeristies. I would be hard pressed to pick any other school above it. UH is probably 4th in my book, but I could probably be convinced otherwise.

Does Tech have any other campuses within the system. UT, A&M and UH all have mulitple campuses. I can think of another Tech campus ????

TTU - Lubbock

TTU - Amarillo

TTU - Abilene

TTU - El Paso

TTU - Odessa

TTU - Junction

TTU - Highland Lakes (Marble Falls)

TTU - Fredericksburg

The neat thing about the Lubbock campus is they follow a great masterplan that calls for classic Spanish Renaissance architecture, 100 year minimum standards for construction, and everything (the university, law school, medical school, stadiums and arenas and golf course are located in one centralized area of the city.

I hadnt heard of that until now, what is that all about?

Texas Tech Head Football Coach Mike Leach will be the featured guest at a luncheon hosted by the Touchdown Club of Houston. The event is schedule for June 8 at 12 p.m. CT at the JW Marriott (5150 Westheimer) in Houston.

The event will feature a highlight film of last year

Don't let your football preferences persuade you.

The only thing working against TT is the location. Lubbock. TT is Lubbock's only hope.

When I lived in Big D, the majority of TT students were from the Metroplex.

What gives?

I guess the D/FW kids can't afford the privates, and choose not to attned hyphenated-UTs?

TTU - Lubbock

TTU - Amarillo

TTU - Abilene

TTU - El Paso

TTU - Odessa

TTU - Junction

TTU - Highland Lakes (Marble Falls)

TTU - Fredericksburg

The neat thing about the Lubbock campus is they follow a great masterplan that calls for classic Spanish Renaissance architecture, 100 year minimum standards for construction, and everything (the university, law school, medical school, stadiums and arenas and golf course are located in one centralized area of the city.

WOW, I had no idea. Thanks for that list.

actually, in some university magazine or whatever, i think it was duke or some ivy league school, they did an article on texas tech and how the students are some of the wealthiest in texas/nation. im not really one of them but whatever.

Lots of people dont like lubbock cuz of the dust...vast nothingness surrounding it or the agricultural emphasis...you either love it or hate it. but i dont have a problem with it, its in between everything in a sense, mountains in the west, civilization to the east.

I do like the TT look. Reminds me of Stanford and a couple of buidling at UH, but those are more Art Deco.

TT and UH both need to step it up.

TT as another excellent school away from the big city with the traditional college feel, and UH as Texas' first T1 Urban Research and Teching Institute.

Texas needs a UCLA or USC in Houston.

Agreed. I think its shortsighted of Houston not to hitch it's wagon to UH more as the benefits to the real estate market, educated workforce, and the ability to attract high tech companies and businesses are only enhanced by the having a good university. If UH were to be funded as a flagship and efficiently spent those dollars, I think the entire real estate market around that campus could be energized. There's a beautiful neighborhood b/w UH and the med center that is primed for gentrification. Houston needs first-rate research infrastructure (Dallas has it...Austin has it...)

As far as research goes, Tech has done well parlaying its abilities with the TTUHSC and Tech has a nice research facility located at the former Reese AFB, the Reese Technology Center, that is primed for further development:

http://www.reesecenter.com/masterplan/index.html

Lubbock has in a sense hitched its wagon to Texas Tech (and rightly so), and with the election of the new mayor, David Miller, I believe Lubbock is about to get very serious about positioning Tech & Lubbock as a friendly, low-cost highly educated high-tech research hub. To this end, there was a humorous storyline running throughout last week in the Austin American-Statesman about how LEDA (Lubbock Economic Development Alliance) totally stole the show at the world'd most prestigious tech conference, The World Congress on Information Technology featuring the who's who of the high tech sector (Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, etc) which was hosted in Austin this year....with an idea so simple it had Austin in fits, declaring a "marketing emergency".

What was it?

A tote bag.

There was a series of 4 or 5 articles written about the "Battle of the Bags" in the Statesman, here are a few:

Austin Matches Tote for Tote in the Battle of the Bags

And finally...

Lubbock Wins Tote Bag Battle with Austin

I believe Lubbock's location will always be working against Texas Tech. Nobody who isn't from West Texas is ever thrilled at the idea of coming to a dusty town in the middle of nowhere to attend college. The drive from my house in Houston to my apartment here in Lubbock usually takes about 9 hours. People from the DFW area usually have to drive 5-6 hours to get home. That, to me, is Tech's greatest downfall: it's not close to anybody.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived