Architecure Style

Which style would you prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If the remaining empty downtown lots could only be filled with one architecture style, which would it be?

• Classical early 1900's with stone and fine detailed decoration
    • 80's post modern architecture
    • Modern/glass

The question assumes it would be the best of each era.

Y'all think the categories okay? Although I like looking at architecture, I'm not an architecture buff in terms of eras and style names. 

What I've come to realize about downtown architecture since I've had the opportunity to observe it on a regular basis is how awesome the older architecture is.

To me, the older buildings have a refined beauty up close and I'm in awe at the detail and craftsmanship and thought put into it.  

While I still really like the more modern stuff, I think it's better appreciated in a skyline photo or the freeway and not so much for a pedestrian. You have to throw back your head from the street level to truly appreciate it. The classics can be admired from top to bottom.

The more modern buildings seem to be more about engineering and less about pure beauty. My 2 cents.

I wonder if you could have a hybrid building, with say the first 10 floors of the older style with intricate brick work along the whole facade, and then above it set back slightly a modern tower.  Is there an example of what I'm thinking of?  Nothing comes to mind.

8 hours ago, cspwal said:

I wonder if you could have a hybrid building, with say the first 10 floors of the older style with intricate brick work along the whole facade, and then above it set back slightly a modern tower.  Is there an example of what I'm thinking of?  Nothing comes to mind.

Hearst Tower in NYC is a pretty good example.

• 5 months later...
On 5/18/2016 at 8:37 AM, cspwal said:

As much as I love the fine stonework on early 1900s building, I doubt we could get a 103 story building in that style so I have to go Modern/Glass

You could if you marry the two styles. Accent the modern look with the early look for example. Good point though, I hadn't thought of that when I voted for the early style.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Architecure Style

Archived