Goodbye Foleys

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, where will I shop? Neimans, Saks, Nordstroms are great stores but too pricey for me on a regular basis. Penneys and Khols don't carry decent merchandise...so what's left?

You will always have Palais Royal.

Just the name sounds fancy.

I know it sucks, but I thought the Galleria one will stick around for a while longer.

I'm wondering what will happen to the huge Foley's warehouse off of the Gulf Fwy. near the Eastwood Transit Cntr. Could be a good townhouse spot.

Yesterday I ran into a longtime friend who is in management at Foley's/Macy's and asked him about the fate of Foley's warehouse, which is adjacent to my neighborhood. He said that Macy's will continue to operate it as a warehouse.

Of course, the situation could change.

Isn't it just a name change?

And Welcome to HAIF.

No, it's not just a name change. For instance, Foley's carried lines of popular moderately priced women's clothing that have been discontinued by Macy's. Although these are nationally distributed, no one else in Houston carries them. I worked in retail for many years and it's a documented fact that women in Houston have different needs/tastes in clothing than women in other southern cities. Foley's buyers were located in Houston and catered to them. Macy's apparel buyers have never been attuned to the local market - one style (trendy, young, NYC) does NOT fit all!

Similarly, lines in housewares and linens have been discontinued.

This morning I heard a radio ad for a sale this weekend at "Foley's Macy's." It's really sad to see the Foley's name go away. Unfortunately Federated has a long history of this kind of thing. In the last three or four years a long list of historic department store names have faded as Federated has gobbled them up and changed the name to Macy's. It's too bad that the modern-day Federated couldn't be like May was, or even Federated 20 years ago, when the large department store companies had no problem letting the regional operations keep their traditional, historic names. I know advertising and marketing costs are cheaper, but are they really that much cheaper?

Who owns the land by the Waterwall and Transco Tower parking garage?

That entire area, including the Waterwall Park, Williams Tower, Parking Garage and running track are all owned by Hines, the original developer of the Galleria.

I have a big problem with the stradegy of Federated...

I was in Atlanta when they took over Rich's...Rich's was a historic name in the city, just as Foley's is here.

Macy's ain't the grand chain it once was during its heyday. In fact I find a lot of their stores to be rather tired.

I have a big problem with corporate America's obsession with increasing their bottom line by every penny possible...it's as if greed knows no bounds. The main reasoning I have heard from Federated regarding these name changes is simply to save $$$ on advertising and printing the damn store bags!

Who in the hell wants a Macy's on every corner? By the end of September they will be 850 Macy's in the USA...is MAcy's trying to become the new 7 Eleven?

Furthermore I am outraged in particular with the Federated rape of Marshall Field's grand historic location in downtown Chicago...totally crass and unjust.

Right on, KennethColeSRG. It really is ridiculous. Here's just a sampling of the former regional department store chains all over the country that are now, or will soon be, called Macy's:

• Foley's
  • Famous-Barr
  • Filene's
  • Marshall Field's
  • Bon March

It could bomb really badly, as people don't know what to expect from a store with a different name. Texas used to have Safeways, but those closed down and they had to come back stealthily through Randall's.

No, it's not just a name change. For instance, Foley's carried lines of popular moderately priced women's clothing that have been discontinued by Macy's. Although these are nationally distributed, no one else in Houston carries them. I worked in retail for many years and it's a documented fact that women in Houston have different needs/tastes in clothing than women in other southern cities. Foley's buyers were located in Houston and catered to them. Macy's apparel buyers have never been attuned to the local market - one style (trendy, young, NYC) does NOT fit all!

Similarly, lines in housewares and linens have been discontinued.

Amen!

I have a big problem with the stradegy of Federated...

I was in Atlanta when they took over Rich's...Rich's was a historic name in the city, just as Foley's is here.

Macy's ain't the grand chain it once was during its heyday. In fact I find a lot of their stores to be rather tired.

I have a big problem with corporate America's obsession with increasing their bottom line by every penny possible...it's as if greed knows no bounds. The main reasoning I have heard from Federated regarding these name changes is simply to save $$$ on advertising and printing the damn store bags!

Who in the hell wants a Macy's on every corner? By the end of September they will be 850 Macy's in the USA...is MAcy's trying to become the new 7 Eleven?

Furthermore I am outraged in particular with the Federated rape of Marshall Field's grand historic location in downtown Chicago...totally crass and unjust.

Exactly! Federated has gobbled up almost every local department store all over the country. I want a choice as to where I shop. Every Macys carries the same merchandise regardless of where the store is located. It's generic and not geared to the tastes of the locals. I am fed up with corporate greed and quite upset with the Macy Co. for selling out.

I can't imagine the warehouse staying there with property values going up and prime land just south of Downtown ready for re-development into Townhomes/Condo's etc... Great location with UH right across the freeway, the Transit Center for easy access into Downtown and beyond.

Only a matter of time before developers wake up to the great location and neighborhoods over here just waiting for new homes to be built on all the vacant lots and lots that "should" be vacant as just the threads of a once proud home remain.

Scharpe St Guy

Yesterday I ran into a longtime friend who is in management at Foley's/Macy's and asked him about the fate of Foley's warehouse, which is adjacent to my neighborhood. He said that Macy's will continue to operate it as a warehouse.

Of course, the situation could change.

I had thought the fate of Foley's Sharpstown location preceding the Macy's takeover would be its closure. I think its interior space has never received a renovation since it opened; it looked that way based on my observations from my last visit there.

However, if Macy's closes it I believe the fate of Sharpstown Center is its mutually-assured closure - being the only remaining major retail anchor drawing shoppers to it. Methinks the cycle of life for Sharpstown Center has finally come full circle. OTOH, I believe that they own the property outright so Macy's could just keep it open as a discount clearance center - which Foley's has been doing with it.

Stranger things have happened, though - Westwood's closure didn't force Sears to close it's store. First Colony killed Westwood along with the urban decay from the low-income multi-family housing properties that surrounded it. I think it's just a matter of time before Sharpstown Center meets a similar fate, IMO.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

There was a demo team working this morning, and already accomplished much, inside the space of the northwest corner of the old Foleys garage. 

Sorry if if this has already been reported and its in the wrong thread. It was the first Foleys thread Google provided.

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

I didn't realize the garage was going.  Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant that was in the ground-floor space in the garage?

Its staying. I talked to a demo worker and the subway manager. First floor demo I saw is for a tenant who is moving in because they will demolish the office tower and replacing it with something new. The lower level and garage are staying, according to the demo worker and subway manager.

just checked and culture map had an article on this in 2012 but the plan was to renovate not demolish. Maybe I misunderstood or the guy was wrong.

Second edit. Per the Culture Map article, the downtown management district was only tenant left, so it seems they are the ones moving to this space in the garage.

Archived