Highway 105 Near Navasota

hbcu

I have ties to Navasota and can remember when Conroe High was the baddest thing in the area along with Navasota High...now, neither school can claim the same glory anymore....anyway....

I see 105 has changed in Montgomery towards Conroe and with Magnolia growing northward with the Aggie Expressway or 249 moving along has there been anything proposed for 105 down the line?

I hope to get my hands on some land off 105 and another area off of CR 359 and 105..how long do you think before growth from Magnolia and Montgomery spills over into Stoneham, Dobbin, Plantersville and eventually Navasota where there's alot of land and decent access with Highway 6 being exapnded from Navasota to College Station?

I have ties to Navasota and can remember when Conroe High was the baddest thing in the area along with Navasota High...now, neither school can claim the same glory anymore....anyway....

I see 105 has changed in Montgomery towards Conroe and with Magnolia growing northward with the Aggie Expressway or 249 moving along has there been anything proposed for 105 down the line?

I hope to get my hands on some land off 105 and another area off of CR 359 and 105..how long do you think before growth from Magnolia and Montgomery spills over into Stoneham, Dobbin, Plantersville and eventually Navasota where there's alot of land and decent access with Highway 6 being exapnded from Navasota to College Station?

Ten years.

First of all, I doubt Houston's economy will ever permit growth to extend that far, unless we treat that area as a separate economy. I think Magnolia is only beginning to get discovered, and Montgomery (the town) hasn't begun any significant growth yet, so nothing will be spilling over anytime soon. I passed through Montgomery recently, and I really think it's a hidden jewel of the Houston area. The town has potential to be a really cool little town. It has some neat buildings, and all it needs now is some vibrant locally owned businesses and more people. Plus, it's really close to the lake.

So far, no, but there are a handful of small developments just to the south, closer to Magnolia. There are also cases where a few tracts of several hundred acres have been broken up into ranchettes. That area is about the closest equivalent that Houston has to a 'hill country', so a very-low-density pattern of sprawl is to be expected.

Montgomery (the town) hasn't begun any significant growth yet, so nothing will be spilling over anytime soon. I passed through Montgomery recently, and I really think it's a hidden jewel of the Houston area. The town has potential to be a really cool little town. It has some neat buildings, and all it needs now is some vibrant locally owned businesses and more people. Plus, it's really close to the lake.

In fact, many of the subdivisions on the west side of Lake Conroe have a Montgomery mailing address. These include Bentwater and Grand Harbor, both of which were very successful. Grand Harbor even has canals running from lake backwaters up to a mile inland! There are a couple other communities in the early planning stages that could have a similar layout. So far, only one has failed entirely, and that was because lots were too small.

Surprising to me was that many of the buyers commute daily to central Houston! Considering how many jobs are being created in the suburbs, it begs the question as to whether sprawl has a limit.

Personal anecdote: I was a hair's width away from selling my condo several years back and buying a 40-acre plot of land between Carlos and Iola back when I was in college at UH. It had a small house, a large barn and pond, improved pasture, already had a cattle lease going for it, and was priced at about $1k per acre. Considering how rural land prices have risen, and that I could've arranged my schedule to only attend classes two days per week, the commute would've been well worth it. ...of course, I would've had to have sacrificed my job and taken out student loans...still, I regret it in many ways.

Personal anecdote: I was a hair's width away from selling my condo several years back and buying a 40-acre plot of land between Carlos and Iola back when I was in college at UH.

Everytime I drive up through Carlos and Iola, I'm amazed at how it looks like suburbia is reaching its hand that way. Next thing you know it'll hit North Zulch. ;)

I used to help my dad on the farm in White Hall, Texas and you can get there to a developing Magnolia in less than 20 minutes.

We also used to come up 249 to 105 and that took forever because it was two-lanes and nothing to look at..not anymore..

I used to help my dad on the farm in White Hall, Texas and you can get there to a developing Magnolia in less than 20 minutes.

We also used to come up 249 to 105 and that took forever because it was two-lanes and nothing to look at..not anymore..

I believe sprawl has a limit proportional to the cost of transportation+ time to commute. Since we can expect gas to continue to rise and car prices to continue to rise, the sprawl is likely to subside drastically over the next 10 years for middle income families. On the other hand, communte time to places on the northern end of Lake Conroe will be more available in two years with the completion of I45. If there is fast and cheap mass transportation, the sprawl will continue at a fast pace, but along the main arteries like I45. The city of Houston however will not be a part of the equation. Suburbia remains a preference for higher income people. As Mexican business folks continue to migrate to The Woodlands, those in The Woodlands will likely migrate further north. Just my opinion.

• The title was changed to Highway 105 Near Navasota

Archived