Addicks Dam Subdivision

TheNiche

Check out MLS listings for "Addicks Dam". It is a small and older neighborhood, squeezed in between Interstate 10, the Addicks reservior, and South Mayde Creek. If you look in the tax records, it has a lot of German and east European-sounding surnames that own houses there (Vorkoper, Werner, Brumlow, Ehler, Roesler, Kurelaitis, Specksgoor, and Sweitzer). If I had to guess, I'd say that this was probably where a number of the occupants of lands within the Addicks and Barker reserviors ended up when they were impounded by the Corps of Engineers. By itself, it is an interesting little relic of the past.

Although lots tend to be reasonably large, between a quarter- and a half-acre, and are pleasantly wooded, they have extremely narrow streets, open culverts, old and decaying homes, road and construction noise, and electric transmission towers along both the west and north sides. Given that the homes are nothing special, you can be sure that the properties are selling at lot value...only the lots are listed at between $350k and $500k and there doesn't appear to be the slightest bit of McMansionization.

One other thing that I noticed was that the ownership of the neighborhood is disproportionately represented by Conoco and someone named David L. Crowell. They've been steadily buying out the neighborhood.

Anybody know why?

• 7 years later...

Link. Basically, the Addicks Dam subdivision, which has two streets of Interstate 10 in the middle of the Energy Corridor (been there since the '50s) has been totally bought and will be cleared. Personally, I think this is a great thing, as they finally got everyone to agree on a buyout (as their land value has shot up, and by extension, taxes), plus Park Row can connect to Dairy Ashford.

location here if interested. I think it's been too long, as the area has suffered poor access since the Katy Freeway widening. Prior to this, Red Haw and Blackhaw were connected to a two way road (this two way road ended just west of Blackhaw), and the two way road connected back to Eldridge. The railroad was on the south side of this road, and beyond that, the westbound frontage road. After the widening, this little access road went away and was replaced by the new westbound frontage road, so they'd have to drive a mile and a half out of their way to get in and out. So if they wanted to go to eastbound Interstate 10, instead of going east to Eldridge, they now had to go all the way to Highway 6, make a u-turn at the turnaround lane, and then go back.

• The title was changed to Addicks Dam Subdivision

Archived