Parade of Homes - Prior Year Locations

Scharpe St Guy

Hello All,

Is there a website that lists where the Parade of Homes was located here in Houston each year? I would love to see which neighborhoods had them and which homes and perhaps keep an eye out for one of them to buy. We walked the home at 3303 Longfield and it was a truly fascinating home to go view. Only issue with it is that it butts up to Richmond Ave. Any idea what a wall (brick, concrete, etc....) cost?

Thanks everyone,

Scharpe St Guy

I'm sure spaceage can recite them off the top of his head, I think he posted them on here somewhere at one time. You might do the search function.

I believe it was held all over the city in 1953, and again in 1954. there are articles on the 1954 parade on my glenbrook website that lists most of the homes. I believe 1955 was Meyerland, considered by many the pinnacle year of the parade program, 1956 was on Cayton in Glenbrook, I believe 1957 was that cul-de-sac in Briarmeadow, Longfield I think. I can't remember '58. 1959 was on Warm Springs in Westbury, I think 1960 was on Olympia in Walnut Bend. Those are the only ones I know.

RPS,

Thank you! It was very very near the bottom of my search "Parade Homes Space Age": http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...homes+space+age

Not a complete list but a great start, perhaps that topic should be reborn or this topic merged into it and addresses accumulated of these homes?

Scharpe St Guy

I'm sure spaceage can recite them off the top of his head, I think he posted them on here somewhere at one time. You might do the search function.

I believe it was held all over the city in 1953, and again in 1954. there are articles on the 1954 parade on my glenbrook website that lists most of the homes. I believe 1955 was Meyerland, considered by many the pinnacle year of the parade program, 1956 was on Cayton in Glenbrook, I believe 1957 was that cul-de-sac in Briarmeadow, Longfield I think. I can't remember '58. 1959 was on Warm Springs in Westbury, I think 1960 was on Olympia in Walnut Bend. Those are the only ones I know.

RPS,

Thank you! It was very very near the bottom of my search "Parade Homes Space Age": http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...homes+space+age

Not a complete list but a great start, perhaps that topic should be reborn or this topic merged into it and addresses accumulated of these homes?

Scharpe St Guy

I would like to know what street it was held on in Oak Forest in 1953. There is one street south of 43rd, over by Watonga I think, that has several nice looking mods including a butterfly roof one. They seem a little out of character with Oak Forest. I wonder if those were the Parade houses.

The houses on Longfield are nice. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Seems like they're priced pretty low to me so they must have some issues?

I have looked into soundwalls for my house and they are very expensive, from $18 per sqare ft. 10 feet high and that's $180 per linear ft. 20 ft. high and 50 ft. and suddenly you're talking $18000. No guarantee it's going to stop ALL the sound either...

Windows are a cheaper alternative, but that doesn't solve the backyard issue. Also, for me with original windows I want to keep, new vinyl windows are not as much of an option.

But I'm looking into soundproof sliding glass doors...

http://www.soundproofwindows.com/

Jason

Hello Jason,

That home on Longfield fascinates my wife and I. We both think it would be a fun home to live in and fix up and potentially make a few dollars in a few years if we were able to purchase it for the right price. It doesn't have the land or garage area that I desire however the garage is a pretty good size and it's almost exactly half way between both of our offices so our commutes would go way down. Price looks pretty good for everything the home offers but as I told the listing agent as feedback I would purchase it for $170k. Too optomistic but hey they can only say NO or some variation of that!

There is a chance that we may have a buyer coming to look at our home this weekend and if that were to progress to closing we would need to find either a short term rental or move quickly on another home and right now this would be it however I do need to go see the old Carabbas home that RPS told me about in Glenbrook.

Anyhow it's fun to dream, thanks for the pricing on the sound walls. I believe a soundwall would benefit this home greatly for not only noise but also the view if the wall was done nicely and flowering vines were planted along it.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

The houses on Longfield are nice. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Seems like they're priced pretty low to me so they must have some issues?

I have looked into soundwalls for my house and they are very expensive, from $18 per sqare ft. 10 feet high and that's $180 per linear ft. 20 ft. high and 50 ft. and suddenly you're talking $18000. No guarantee it's going to stop ALL the sound either...

Windows are a cheaper alternative, but that doesn't solve the backyard issue. Also, for me with original windows I want to keep, new vinyl windows are not as much of an option.

But I'm looking into soundproof sliding glass doors...

http://www.soundproofwindows.com/

Jason

I would bet the deed-restrictions and/or set backs might prevent you from putting a wall up there. If you got serious about the house I would check into that.

Definitely go and see the Carrabba's house. Its a good one. There is a FSBO next door to it with a pool that is a good one too. The seller is an old Italian guy that owns a limousine company & used to be a driver for Frank Sinatra. Maybe he'll make you a deal you can't refuse... ;)

• 2 years later...

1953 was on ella blvd in oak forest.

Archived