Have lived in this house 2 1/2 years. First year that WEEDS are all in the flower beds - EVERYWHERE. Even got a lovely postcard from the homeowners association. Why now - why weeds this time of year - winter, right? - and how do I get rid of them WITHOUT digging them up????? How do I prevent weeds from coming back?

Thanks.

Have lived in this house 2 1/2 years. First year that WEEDS are all in the flower beds - EVERYWHERE. Even got a lovely postcard from the homeowners association. Why now - why weeds this time of year - winter, right? - and how do I get rid of them WITHOUT digging them up????? How do I prevent weeds from coming back?

Thanks.

The reason the weeds are so bad right now, is the ground is staying wet and the temperature is remaining low at night. Clover and many of the broad leaf weeds are especially bad this year because of this wacky weather.

Keeping weeds out of your beds can be difficult as herbicides can kill your plants, flowers and shrubs. One of the best things to do is put a geo textile fabric (landscaping cloth) on your bed's. Of course it won't help you much now, but is a good idea when the weather begins to warmup.

As far as keeping weeds out of your lawn, it's important to put down a pre-emergent herbicide in late November or early December to prevent weeds from germinating. You'll also want to hit the lawn with another round in early Spring.

As I mentioned, be very careful putting any herbicide in your beds, it can ruin your life.

The reason the weeds are so bad right now, is the ground is staying wet and the temperature is remaining low at night. Clover and many of the broad leaf weeds are especially bad this year because of this wacky weather.

Keeping weeds out of your beds can be difficult as herbicides can kill your plants, flowers and shrubs. One of the best things to do is put a geo textile fabric (landscaping cloth) on your bed's. Of course it won't help you much now, but is a good idea when the weather begins to warmup.

As far as keeping weeds out of your lawn, it's important to put down a pre-emergent herbicide in late November or early December to prevent weeds from germinating. You'll also want to hit the lawn with another round in early Spring.

As I mentioned, be very careful putting any herbicide in your beds, it can ruin your life.

Thanks. Digging it is!!!

YUCK!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Digging it is!!!

YUCK!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's not fun.

One addition that will help you as well. If you will treat your lawn as I mentioned above, it will significantly cut back weed germination in your beds. Remember that even using the landscaping cloth doesn't completely prevent weeds.

Yeah, it's not fun.

One addition that will help you as well. If you will treat your lawn as I mentioned above, it will significantly cut back weed germination in your beds. Remember that even using the landscaping cloth doesn't completely prevent weeds.

I have had mulch in all my other flower beds - but am concerned about termite now. Any truth in that concern?

I have had mulch in all my other flower beds - but am concerned about termite now. Any truth in that concern?

Not really, as long as your mulch bed isn't to high. Never put more than about 2 to 3 inches down, and that's not so much for termite infestation as it is for root rot. Also be careful not to buy cheap mulch as you can encounter all kinds of bug issues.

Some suggest coming out from your foundation about 8-inches with river rock and then starting your mulch. The rocks are about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I don't know for sure if it helps but it does look good.

Just make sure you don't use a "Weed And Feed" it will damage the root system on your Shrubs and Tree's.

Exactly. In fact weed and feeds are a bad rout to take even if your careful not to get any around root systems. I've learned from pro's like Randy Lemmon that a good pre emmergent Herbicide like "Fertilome" is an excellent way to go. It works far better than the cheesy weed and feeds and it's a much slower release.

So, um, if a hypothetical clueless new homeowner neglected to use any of this pre-emergent stuff on her lawn in the fall, should she wait until spring to apply it, or do it now? The neighbor's clover patch is creeping ever closer, as is the rye grass.

No, leave it alone. If you apply now you run the risk of hurting your root system. My advice (and I'm no expert, it's just one of my hobbies) is to wait until we're sustaining low temps in the 60's, which generally means sometime in April. Your clover issues will die off as the temps get warmer but new weed issues like crabgrass start coming into the picture.

So all of that said, wait until it warms up, and apply a PRE- emergent herbicide like Fertilome. You'll want to do it again in November to keep the winter weeds your dealing with now away as well. If you want a really immaculate lawn (like mine :P ) apply nitrogen with a drop spreader and you will see green all year, even in the cold of Winter.

Finally, never, ever buy cheap fertilizers, especially weed and feeds. Go to an actual nursery in your area with people that know their stuff, it's worth it in the end.