610 Freeway Lanscaping

joshuajbp

I have a few questions... I've searched the internet but found no answers...

A.) Who actually planned the plantings along 6-10 near the Galleria? Was it Uptown District, TxDOT, Trees 4 Houston,. etc? Is the master plan online? None of those organizations have any claims to it. It looks really nice.

B.) The new lake/fountain/park/greenspace off to the south of the Waterwall (between S.PostOak and 6-10)... Is that part of the GreenRibbon plan or was the completely seperate from the reconstruction of 6-10? All of the plantings seems to flow into the rest of the beautification of 6-10.

C.) Last time i drove through the I-10 / 610 Interchange it appears they are gearing up to put the final landscape out as I noticed sod being rolled out. Going west, off to the right hand side there appears to be a huge "dug-out" space that appears it could easily be turned into a "pond" or a water feature of some sort. TxDOT has no drawings of the finished interchange. Any info? A huge pond w/ a fountain would be an unexpected element to a freeway interchange...

Thanks in advance for any info!

3zk41e9.jpg

From the Uptown January Update.

On Friday, December 8, the Texas Department of Transportation, the Uptown Houston District and invited guests celebrated the greening of the West Loop at Hidalgo Park. Uptown Houston enhanced the area

• 2 weeks later...
3zk41e9.jpg

From the Uptown January Update.

Are any of you familiar with the set of oak trees on the west side of 610 between San Felipe & Westheimer? They form a tall but short archway. I remember these trees from way back when the freeway was built (early 1961 or 62). There was a house that had to be torn down for the freeway construction. These trees framed the driveway leading to that house. As development happened these trees were pruned back but saved from the bulldozer and used as a landscape feature for that office property. Unusual behavior for the times.

• The title was changed to 610 Freeway Lanscaping

Archived