Just To Pay My Respects

greystone08(returns)

I just wanted to pay my respects and my prayers going out to the young girl who was shot and killed last week 12/4/04 at Tiewester Oaks, an Apartment complex on the campus of TSU. She was a student at Texas Southern University who unfortunately was an innocent by-stander. I think i'm about to move out of third ward!

The people who didn't want to sell (and began promoting the Third Ward Is My Home And Is Not For Sale campaign) were people who lived in the more prosperous areas of Third Ward, where 95% of the redevelopment efforts were/are not taking place. Developers weren't looking to buy and convert homes south of Alabama Street, as most of the homes in that area are old but in pretty good shape and the residents earn pretty good incomes.

North of Alabama and on up to Elgin, however, where many old homes lay abandoned or are in horrible condition are the ones that were/are being purchased or sought for purchase.

I agree that given the condition of THOSE neighborhoods, I don't see why you'd not sell if you owned the property and it's falling apart anyway. But hey, it's their prerogative.

Greystone,

If I might make a suggestion, since you're considering moving from your current neighborhood, maybe you could find something reasonable along Almeda, north of McGregor Drive and west of the South Freeway (288). There are many apartments, duplexes and so forth that are for rent in that area and many UH/Rice/TSU students take advantage of 'em.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the new units being built left and right but there are several older structures that are pretty good shape and have pretty good landlords.

Greystone,

If I might make a suggestion, since you're considering moving from your current neighborhood, maybe you could find something reasonable along Almeda, north of McGregor Drive and west of the South Freeway (288). There are many apartments, duplexes and so forth that are for rent in that area and many UH/Rice/TSU students take advantage of 'em.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the new units being built left and right but there are several older structures that are pretty good shape and have pretty good landlords.

I appreciate your suggestion Great Hizzy. As much as i love the heritage and everything in third ward i might have to move somewhere else next school year. McGregor area does have some nice homes. I've checked out some of the apartments around those areas on Southmore and 288 which are mainly Section 8 housting. I know i need more money but the two areas in Housotn i would like to live in are TMC, and Galleria area.