Fireworks illegal OUTSIDE Houston -- Bet you didn't know that

I didn't know it either until today, when I read about it in the Chron's neighborhood supplement that comes out every Thursday. Houston City Council has extended the ban on fireworks to areas outside the general purpose city limits. These areas are called "Limited Purpose Annexation Zones" -- commercial property strips along major thoroughfares the city has taken in purely for taxation purposes.

I don't think they include any residential areas. FYI: this is how the city got Willowbrook Mall. It annexed a strip along Hwy 249 to 1960 and roped the mall into the city. It's how the city extends its reach and adds to the tax base without taking in residential areas with large blocs of voters who could band together and vote some people out of office.

Anyway, here's a link to the Fire Department website, which has maps of these areas where city officials say the ban on fireworks will be enforced. http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/news/120506.html

Edited by FilioScotia

All note how our freedom slips away

How our standards change from day to day

We cannot smoke in the city with out complaint or offense

Nor celebrate the 4th and the new year's romance

We are told what to eat, what is healthy and what is not

We continue on with our lives with out question or thought

We are now funneled to follow a delusional dream

Where freedom's foundation has been stripped from the scene