How Well Do You Know Your Houston Upscale Suburbs?

SpringTX

How Well Do You Know Your Houston Upscale Suburbs?

Which of the following communities outside the beltway have zip codes with an average housing price greater than the median for the Houston metro area?

- Addicks

- Atascocita

- Champions

- Clear Lake

- Cypress

- Deer Park

- Friendswood

- Fulshear

- Humble

- Katy

- Kemah

- Kingwood

- Lake Conroe

- League City

- Magnolia

- Missouri City

- Pearland

- Richmond

- Seabrook

- Spring

- Sugar Land

- The Woodlands

- Tomball

- West Galveston/Tiki Island

(Data is from www.neighboroo.com)

Need a hint? Only 10 of the 24 on list have zip codes that are above the median.

The answers will be supplied below...

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

And the answers are:

- Addicks - yes 77079

- Atascocita - no

- Champions - yes 77069

- Clear Lake - yes 77058

- Cypress - no

- Deer Park - no

- Friendswood - no

- Fulshear - yes 77441

- Katy - yes 77904 and 77494

- Kemah - no

- Kingwood - yes 77345

- Lake Conroe - yes 77316 and 77356

- League City - no

- Magnolia - yes 77384

- Missouri City - no

- Pearland - no

- Richmond - no

- Seabrook - no

- Sugar Land - yes 77479

- The Woodlands - yes 77381 and 77384

- Tomball - no

- West Galveston/Tiki Island - no

Edited by SpringTX

My home is worth $102,000 and i live in Spring. What is the median price range in Houston city limits?

For Houston $152,000 according to this...

The median price -- which is the typical market price where half of the homes sold for more and half of the home sold for less than that figure -- also reached an all-time record of $152,000, up 5.6 percent from last year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...html?from_rss=1

The following is the most recently-available data for which a press release has been written.

All Categories

October 2005

October 2006

Percent Change

Total property sales

+6.0%

Total dollar volume

$1,138,122,336

$1,250,245,281

+9.9%

Average single-family sales price

$188,680

$189,527

+0.4%

Median single-family sales price

$142,000

$146,000

+2.8%

Active listings

+7.8%

Pending sales

+19.0%

Months inventory

-3.0%

Source: Houston Association of Realtors' October 2006 Sales Report

I think if the Woodlands is on here than Cinco Ranch should be. In the zip code 77450 the median home price is $189,800 according to this source. This is not in Katy but KISD. Actually looking at a zip code map this only includes most of Cinco Ranch not all of it. It does not include some areas close to 99 and none of the area west of 99. Also this zipcode includes neighborhoods such as Grand Lakes, Kelliwood, Nottingham, and more

Edited by westguy76

I think if the Woodlands is on here than Cinco Ranch should be. In the zip code 77450 the median home price is $189,800 according to this source. This is not in Katy but KISD. Actually looking at a zip code map this only includes most of Cinco Ranch not all of it. It does not include some areas close to 99 and none of the area west of 99. Also this zipcode includes neighborhoods such as Grand Lakes, Kelliwood, Nottingham, and more

I just checked 77450 and it says "$94,500"? Here's the link:

http://www.neighboroo.com/?see=ZipHouseInc...7450&zoom=6

Only surprises for me were Kingwood, and Tiki Island.

Well there are two zip codes in Kingwood, 77339 and 77345. 77339 is closer to 59 and contains most of the smaller houses in Kingwood, while 77345 is the "back" of Kingwood and contains all the newer developments and the $1 million+ homes. Only 77345 made the list.

Edited by KDubRedRaider

Well there are two zip codes in Kingwood, 77339 and 77345. 77339 is closer to 59 and contains most of the smaller houses in Kingwood, while 77345 is the "back" of Kingwood and contains all the newer developments and the $1 million+ homes. Only 77345 made the list.

Thanks KDub, I'll have to "raise my sixshooter" to ya for the 411.

Vanity Zip Code Smack....

Somewhat misleading as it only gives zip codes. Of course, big master-planned communities encompassed by their own zip(s) will fare better using this logic and these numbers (which are outdated), especially when compared to faster-growing regions (Klein, Spring & Cypress growth have each dwarfed that of The Woodlands). For instance, the 77429 zip code has grown by over 75% since the 2000 census with a population (65-70k people) in and of itself that approaches/equals the whole of the Woodlands.

77379 (Klein) and 77429 (Cypress) basically mirror each other (both top 10 zips in Harris county for avg household income). Both very large zip codes with large populations and a solid demographics (double the population of The Woodlands with the same or higher income and home value). Between these lie tens of thousands of $200k-$4M homes

Take for example the area within a 5-mile radius of 249 & Louetta (Klein, Cypress, Champions) all exceed the median and average home price, with 182,000 people...more than double the entire population of The Woodlands.

Pat yourself on the back if you will, but zip code isn't the best measure for determining the relative wealth of the area you live...

Edited by mrfootball

Vanity Zip Code Smack....

Somewhat misleading as it only gives zip codes. Of course, big master-planned communities encompassed by their own zip(s) will fare better using this logic and these numbers (which are outdated), especially when compared to faster-growing regions (Klein, Spring & Cypress growth have each dwarfed that of The Woodlands). For instance, the 77429 zip code has grown by over 75% since the 2000 census with a population (65-70k people) in and of itself that approaches/equals the whole of the Woodlands.

77379 (Klein) and 77429 (Cypress) basically mirror each other (both top 10 zips in Harris county for avg household income). Both very large zip codes with large populations and a solid demographics (double the population of The Woodlands with the same or higher income and home value). Between these lie tens of thousands of $200k-$4M homes

Take for example the area within a 5-mile radius of 249 & Louetta (Klein, Cypress, Champions) all exceed the median and average home price, with 182,000 people...more than double the entire population of The Woodlands.

Pat yourself on the back if you will, but zip code isn't the best measure for determining the relative wealth of the area you live...

There isn't anything necessarily wrong with being affordable. The Woodlands is twice as affordable as River Oaks. But I don't think River Oaks is twice as good. In fact, I'd pay twice as much to live in The Woodlands than River Oaks. The Woodlands has some ghetto dwellers and some blue collar types, and that was George Mitchell's plan and I don't mind it.

When I used the term "upscale", that's a value-laden term. Some people hate "upscale" communities with a passion. Others prize them like gold.

Ultimately, a community is worth a whole more than just what supply and demand produces. Location, location, location is the biggest factor, as evidenced by superior housing values inside the loop.

it's amazing to me that the woodlands median home price fares well in comparisons such as these, seeing as the woodlands includes moderately priced homes, townhomes and/or condos in each village.

also, the amazing growth of an area is not something i would be too thrilled about. fortunately, for the woodlands, the growth is somewhat controlled and the community (a real community) has a strong identity unlike the unbridled development of strip centers and various developments running into each other that plagues the northwest part of town.

the woodlands current population according to the woodlands development company is over 80,000.

I think you make a great point. A year ago we looked at some amazing, awesome communities in Klein ISD. Streets that looked every bit as nice as stuff in The Woodlands. And Klein was my first choice because of the shorter commute. But the one thing my wife stressed about The Woodlands was that, regardless of whatever the free market might do to affect communities in Northwest Houston 10 or 20 years from now, The Woodlands will always have the ability to control development within its boundaries. Not many communities in Houston have that kind of power. Living in Ponderosa Forest, it was depressing and stressful to watch the community have to rise up in arms to try to fight off bad developers trying to build more low-income apartment complexes on our doorstep. It got tiring after a while. The wonderful thing about The Woodlands is there is a heartless, greedy, multi-million dollar corporation looking out for our interests. So we can sit back and worry about our kids or our gardening or whatever, and leave the cut-throat game of Texas real estate development to the pros. Any community that can cough up $60 million to bribe the city of Houston to get off their backs (annexation) - now that's a community where I feel like my long-term investment will be safe! :)

Will definitely agree with that, it's a no-brainer. You do have more variety and choice in the different parts of NW Houston, and in many cases (apples to apples - same yr build - same sq footage) nicer homes at the same the price points. I veered away from the Woodlands because the homes in the sub-$250k range were somewhat generic and chintzy. All of them were pretty tacky inside (an indictment of the owners maybe...pre-Woodlands Market Street era, the Woodlands only got good retail within the past 5 years or less) - I looked at about 15 homes in The Woodlands. I did see one that I liked, a David Weekly for about $237k, but it sold before I could put an offer on it.

I expanded my search and found that this part of Cypress had the same strengths that The Woodlands had, good solid schools. Solid master-planned communities, trees, and nice amenities. I bought here.

My favorite areas are: Memorial, Cypress, Champions and The Woodlands

Edited by mrfootball

I agree I feel that The Woodlands is growing very nicely and things are being done well. And there is beginning to be a diversity in architecture which is pleasing. My only surprises on this list were Friendswood and I figured the prices of Tiki Island could bring up that zip.

it's amazing to me that the woodlands median home price fares well in comparisons such as these, seeing as the woodlands includes moderately priced homes, townhomes and/or condos in each village.

also, the amazing growth of an area is not something i would be too thrilled about. fortunately, for the woodlands, the growth is somewhat controlled and the community (a real community) has a strong identity unlike the unbridled development of strip centers and various developments running into each other that plagues the northwest part of town.

the woodlands current population according to the woodlands development company is over 80,000.

I veered away from the Woodlands because the homes in the sub-$250k range were somewhat generic and chintzy. All of them were pretty tacky inside (an indictment of the owners maybe...pre-Woodlands Market Street era, the Woodlands only got good retail within the past 5 years or less) - I looked at about 15 homes in The Woodlands. I did see one that I liked, a David Weekly for about $237k, but it sold before I could put an offer on it.

In homes from the 1970's and 1980's, when looking at square foot for square foot, and year built for year built, the homes in Ponderosa Forest whup the ass of the homes in The Woodlands. Hands down. As you say, pre-1990, The Woodlands was a struggling upstart. The owners of The Woodlands have recently admitted that, as late as 1990, it was touch-and-go whether The Woodlands would ever make a profit and survive. At that time, Champions, Ponderosa, and Northampton were the high-profile communities on the north side of town. The Woodlands built some larger homes (now $400K+) in that period, usually near golf courses, but you can find homes like that in the "back" of Ponderosa (now the flood zone) and in Northgate Forest and so on, and the latter stand up very well to the ones in The Woodlands, if not surpassing them.

Moving from Ponderosa Forest to Panther Creek in a house of approximately the same price, we took a half-step down in terms of quality. Square footage was 200 less. Everything was slightly less nice. It was the schools that brought us. But it has been the amazing community, from a people perspective and from an urban planning/aesthetic perspective, that have really surprised us. Ponderosa Forest used to have a tight-knit, active community that was unmatched in all of Spring ISD. And we saw that slipping away when we lived there. We now see a lot of that same kind of spirit in The Woodlands.

When I read the biography of George Mitchell, I learned that the designers of The Woodlands were impressed by "the subdivisions along 1960" and modeled many things after them. They're talking about Champions, Ponderosa, Greenwood Forest, Huntwick, etc. In fact, the whole concept of "villages" designed into The Woodlands was meant to imitate these tight-knit and proud communities along 1960. My point is that, in my eyes, The Woodlands is a descendent of Ponderosa Forest and Champions, not a competitor. There's a common ancestry there. The Woodlands is "picking up" where Ponderosa "left off", in a sense. And someday, maybe not too far in the future, some other community will pick up where The Woodlands leaves off. The awesome community spirit that existed in Ponderosa Forest is all but dead now...but it has been reborn in nearby communities. In fact, there's a ton of ex-Ponderosa residents who have moved to The Woodlands, Northampton, etc.

thats median income, we were talking median house price so again the median home price is $189,800

Ah, yes, that's better - $189.8K.

When I zoom in all the way, I see that zip code is colored in green, not red. Which tells me it's right at the median? So maybe it's lumped into a range which contains the median. And what is the median for our "region", by the way? (The website says: "The median home price is the median selling price of a home in the region.") Maybe they think the median for the region is $220K, according to the map legend?

When I read the biography of George Mitchell, I learned that the designers of The Woodlands were impressed by "the subdivisions along 1960" and modeled many things after them. They're talking about Champions, Ponderosa, Greenwood Forest, Huntwick, etc. In fact, the whole concept of "villages" designed into The Woodlands was meant to imitate these tight-knit and proud communities along 1960. My point is that, in my eyes, The Woodlands is a descendent of Ponderosa Forest and Champions, not a competitor. There's a common ancestry there. The Woodlands is "picking up" where Ponderosa "left off", in a sense. And someday, maybe not too far in the future, some other community will pick up where The Woodlands leaves off. The awesome community spirit that existed in Ponderosa Forest is all but dead now...but it has been reborn in nearby communities. In fact, there's a ton of ex-Ponderosa residents who have moved to The Woodlands, Northampton, etc.

Excellent post. I agree with that. We've got a lot of ex-Ponderosans here in Longwood as well. Cypress is especially popular with a lot of 'the first generation of Champions/FM 1960' kids - who grew up in the 1970's and 1980's.

Interesting website, I found my home value to be just about dead on correct. As for the various suburbs, here's how they compare: Zillow.com

Harris County - Median $120,969

Texas - Median $127,842

Sugar Land - Median $179,120

For Sugar Land, the appreciation rate was 11.0% in 2005 vs. -0.9% in 2004.

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Fort%20Bend/Sugar%20Land

Pearland - Median $166,142

For Pearland, the appreciation rate was 15.5% in 2005 vs. 0.5% in 2004.

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Brazoria/Pearland

Cypress - Median $163,569

For Cypress, the appreciation rate was 11.5% in 2005 vs. 1.8% in 2004.

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Harris/Cypress

The Woodlands - Median $157,856

For The Woodlands, the appreciation rate was 14.0% in 2005 vs. -17.6% in 2004

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Montgomery/The%20Woodlands

Spring - Median - Median $156,073

For Spring, the appreciation rate was 11.8% in 2005 vs. -6.6% in 2004

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Harris/Spring

Katy - Median $143,838

For Katy, the appreciation rate was 11.1% in 2005 vs. 1.9% in 2004

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Harris/Katy

Kingwood - Median $142,632

http://www.zillow.com/local/Texas/Harris/Kingwood