houston urban lofts at Yellowstone

houstonranger

Hello all,

I moved here some 6 months ago with my wife from NYC and I must say I am enjoying Houston and all it has to offer, much more vibrant than i thought. I am now a big fan of this part of the world...

Anyway, after throwing cash away for a decade in NY, its time to buy, and these guys caught my eye http://www.urbanlofts.com/ and http://www.urbanlofts.com/tableyellow.php

- seems to be like 2000 sqf for $200k which seems like a good deal to me in Houston.

I was wondering what people thought about these so called "tin houses" - the urban lofts? Good construction or not? Seems like a good idea to me - tin in hot wearther??

It also seems like the guy who build these started it all in Houston, and its kinda nice that Houston has this style as a claim to fame.....or at least something a little unique?

I'm thinking of just going for it....Any thoughts on these townthomes appreciated..??? I like them but what do you think?

Thanks for you're help...

hhm. maybe that's true, but I could live with that.

I guess I am thinking of resell of these type of homes, and also the area in Yellowstone?

It does not exactly seem like utopia, but neither does living 20 miles out at the beltway....

Frankly my wife and I are at the stage where we would live in an "up and coming" area to avoid sitting in traffic for 50 mins every morning and night 5 times a week...

It does not exactly seem like utopia, but neither does living 20 miles out at the beltway....

Frankly my wife and I are at the stage where we would live in an "up and coming" area to avoid sitting in traffic for 50 mins every morning and night 5 times a week...

Welcome aboard and to Houston, houstonranger, and it shows that you're a pioneering type by contemplating one of those unique homes in a unique neighborhood. Nice to see too that you've gotten into Houston and seem to have discovered that indescribable something that is a combination of gritty imperfection, exuberance and big city scenes with small town charm. Trying to get your NY buddies to see that might not be so easy though...and part of me occasionally has brownstone envy but I'm not a millionaire so it passes quickly, and Houston is in the midst of it's own "brownstone" boom so another part of me appreciates what I see going up here and I know that, one day, the stainless and granite will be as revered and classic as the marble mantles and parquet floors of old NY buildings.

So you bring up a few good questions; how are the "tin cans", which are actually Galvalume, holding up after 10 years for the first ones? They appear to be low maintenance and the heat reflectiblity should be a good thing in our climate but I've yet to hear comments here from anyone who's lived in one for awhile. The Yellowstone area is one of those that offers proximity, large trees in many parts and relatively low prices due mostly to a perception of it being maybe "dangerous, black & poor", I'm guessing, when in actuality it's probably no more dangerous than Montrose, kind of like the area I bought in on the East End. I like areas like that because they offer value and potential for appreciation. It's not much different than the stock market; smart money buys first and sells first, ie; it's better to be the one selling when demand is high rather than vice-versa.

I took a look at the urban lofts in the 4th ward when i was looking for a home. they aren't a bad size, but i also didn't really think the interiors were nearly as functional and nice as they should be. they reminded me of houses that an architect ran wild with concepts, without thinking of everyday use. plus some of the touches weren't there that are popular right now, such as a granite countertops and some other high end touches.

however, i think everyone has a different opinion of what they want in a house, and some of the things i mention could be irrelevant to you. i do know that resale of these places has struggled, according to the realtor that sold me my house. don't know if he means just time or getting appreciation for them, but he just said its been a tough market for those homes. location wise, they have done well in my opinion - the area of the 4th ward they are in was/ is not the greatest area in terms of surroundings, but location in terms of proximity to the rest of houston is great. not too familiar with yellowstone, but wouldn't be surprised if its the same story.

Hello all,

I moved here some 6 months ago with my wife from NYC and I must say I am enjoying Houston and all it has to offer, much more vibrant than i thought. I am now a big fan of this part of the world...

Anyway, after throwing cash away for a decade in NY, its time to buy, and these guys caught my eye http://www.urbanlofts.com/ and http://www.urbanlofts.com/tableyellow.php

- seems to be like 2000 sqf for $200k which seems like a good deal to me in Houston.

I was wondering what people thought about these so called "tin houses" - the urban lofts? Good construction or not? Seems like a good idea to me - tin in hot wearther??

It also seems like the guy who build these started it all in Houston, and its kinda nice that Houston has this style as a claim to fame.....or at least something a little unique?

I'm thinking of just going for it....Any thoughts on these townthomes appreciated..??? I like them but what do you think?

The price is very good. The big problem is what's around you. Just across the street on the north side is housing for the poor and mentally ill.

Although freeway noise might be a problem for some people, there's something to be said for having visibility when you're trying to resell.

The price is very good. The big problem is what's around you. Just across the street on the north side is housing for the poor and mentally ill.

Right across the street is the Star of Hope's Transitional Living Center for Women and Families. You make it out to be a lot worse than it really is, Niche. I spend a decent amount of time in the area, and I've never seen or heard of any problems with that facility. I often see some of the women and their children walking in the area. They don't bother me or scare me in the least; they're just people trying hard to get back on their feet.

From the Star of Hope's website - http://www.sohmission.org/tlcWFreadmore.asp

"The Transitional Living Center program goes beyond emergency care by providing long-term solutions of structure, accountability, and opportunity to learn basic living skills in a comprehensive and demanding one-year program. Applicants to this intensive 12-month program complete a written application and participate in a thorough intake process designed to select participants who are genuinely committed to their own recovery.

The Transitional Living Center includes 66 family apartments, including one, two and three-bedroom units, and an adult program which houses 45 women. Families include single moms with children, single dads with children and two-parent families with children."

FWIW, I live in South Union, almost directly across 288 from the Urban Lofts you're talking about. Actually, the end of our street looks directly across 288 to the new Alexan apartments. I've been here 3 years, my wife grew up in the neighborhood, so she has 30 years of history there...not to mention that her family has owned the house since it was built in the 1940's.

I love the area, personally. The location can't be beat, in my opinion. I love the quick access to the Medical Center (5 minutes to Hermann Hospital, which has given us peace of mind in a couple of emergencies), the 3rd Ward, the Museum District, the University of Houston, Hermann Park...you're a 5-minute drive from downtown.

Our neighborhood is very safe. I don't worry about walking or riding a bike around the area, even at night. I don't know if this matters one way or the other, but I'm the only white guy in South Union...and I've had no problems because of that.

As far as the downside, there's not much in the way of retail or restaurants in the immediate area. You are within walking distance of Guy's Meat Market, which is a huge plus. Love that place. There's a Vietnamese restaurant going in next to Guy's. It's called "Steve's Cafe"...they have another location on Scott Street across the street from UH. I'm not very impressed with the Scott Street location, but I'll definitely give the OST location a try. It's supposed to have an expanded menu and hours compared to the "hole-in-the-wall" Scott Street restaurant.

Although there's not a lot of retail in the immediate area, you're about a 10-minute drive from Pearland (down 288), or a 5-10 minute drive from Meyerland (on 610 at S Post Oak), or a 5-10 minute drive to Gulfgate (610 at Gulf Freeway).

I can't speak for the "tin cans" themselves (although I think they're a nice addition to the neighborhood), but I wouldn't worry about the location.

Right across the street is the Star of Hope's Transitional Living Center for Women and Families. You make it out to be a lot worse than it really is, Niche.

Yeah, I probably do. I don't like to spend a lot of time around there, and I'd heard about the apartments being for mentally ill people, among others. Hearsay, though. But every time I've tried to pump gas at the Exxon station that's right there, I get accosted by multiple aggressive panhandlers. That doesn't happen to me frequently at all when I'm in your neighborhood, OTC...in fact, I'm so out of place around your area that I once had a poor old black guy pull up and ask if I needed help.

But every time I've tried to pump gas at the Exxon station that's right there, I get accosted by multiple aggressive panhandlers.

I used to live at the Calais at Smith and Elgin, and would stop by that gas station frequently. Yes, the homeless are persitent and quite agressive there, and very rude IF you decide to give them money. I don't think that's necessarily indicative of the area as a whole, though.

Hello all,

I live in the 4th Ward development and am happy with my Urban Lofts purchase. The construction is fine and the electic bill has been reasonable. All in all, I'm happy. Let me know if you want more specific info.

My only experiences with the UL folks have been negative. One time I called to see if they might be interested in some land I owned and the only response from the guy was "if you copy what we build we will SUE you!" I said hey, I just wanted to see if you might be interested in JV or outright buy. And he stuck with the suing me crap. Next time I talked to them a few years later it was pretty much the same.

I wouldn't buy one of those just because of the environment that they seem to have(and because I compete against them). Maybe the 2 times were indicative of who they really are but if it is it speaks volumes about what kind of people they are?

Now, I showed a tin house that was probably 0-12 years old and it was still looking pretty good. My guess it was typical of what most 10 year old houston town homes look like?

I live in the 4th Ward development and am happy with my Urban Lofts purchase. The construction is fine and the electic bill has been reasonable. All in all, I'm happy. Let me know if you want more specific info.

Curious, whats a typical june, july, august bill and how big is your house?

But every time I've tried to pump gas at the Exxon station that's right there, I get accosted by multiple aggressive panhandlers. That doesn't happen to me frequently at all when I'm in your neighborhood, OTC...in fact, I'm so out of place around your area that I once had a poor old black guy pull up and ask if I needed help.

It probably helps that I drive a POS car. When I pull into the gas station, the panhandlers are offering me change!

Which gas station are you talking about? There are three in the general area, but I don't remember which brands each one sells.

1) The one on the west side of 288, south of OST, that backs up to the Star of Hope...it has an A&W attached. I've never had any panhandling problems there...they keep the panhandlers off premises.

2) The monstrosity across the street, between OST and Holcombe, with the Shipleys and Subway attached. I ALWAYS get hit up for change there. A simple "NO!" always works for me, though...unless I need good karma for a Coogs game, then I'm willing to give some change. They do have a nice selection of clothing inside the store...very wierd place.

3) The Mobil on the east side of OST at Yellowstone. Probably the worst POS gas-station I've ever been in. I don't get hit up for money too often there, but I generally avoid going in there at all costs. Half the time only one or two pumps are operating, the "pay-at-the-pump" doesn't ever work, there's a VERY bad odor about the place, and when you drive through the parking lot you're taking the chance of breaking an axle in a pothole. But if you are looking for a place to play some video poker......

2) The monstrosity across the street, between OST and Holcombe, with the Shipleys and Subway attached. I ALWAYS get hit up for change there. A simple "NO!" always works for me, though...unless I need good karma for a Coogs game, then I'm willing to give some change. They do have a nice selection of clothing inside the store...very wierd place.

This is the one.

My only experiences with the UL folks have been negative. One time I called to see if they might be interested in some land I owned and the only response from the guy was "if you copy what we build we will SUE you!" I said hey, I just wanted to see if you might be interested in JV or outright buy. And he stuck with the suing me crap. Next time I talked to them a few years later it was pretty much the same.

I wouldn't buy one of those just because of the environment that they seem to have(and because I compete against them). Maybe the 2 times were indicative of who they really are but if it is it speaks volumes about what kind of people they are?

Now, I showed a tin house that was probably 0-12 years old and it was still looking pretty good. My guess it was typical of what most 10 year old houston town homes look like?

Curious, whats a typical june, july, august bill and how big is your house?

My home is roughly 1900 sq. feet. My highest bill was around $200; and I keep it cool. The rest of the year I've seen an electic bill as low as $40. Frankly, the electric bills in my last apartment (new) were much higher.