This is starting to sound like a Cold War plot from a James Bond film

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

What do you think will happen if this trail leads back to Moscow and the Kremlin with proof beyond reasonable doubt?

UK finds two more polonium cases in spy probe By Mark Trevelyan and Tahani Karrar

LONDON (Reuters) - British scientists probing the death of Alexander Litvinenko said on Friday that two more people had been contaminated with the same radioactive poison that killed the former Russian spy.

The growing number of cases raised fears of wider contamination in Britain, where Litvinenko's accusation that he was poisoned by Moscow has already strained relations with Russia.

Mario Scaramella, an Italian contact of Litvinenko, was admitted to hospital in London after polonium 210 was detected in his body, but a medical spokesman said he was "currently well and shows no symptoms of radiation poisoning."

Officials said an adult female relative of Litvinenko had shown traces in her urine of polonium 210, the same isotope that poisoned the former agent and outspoken Kremlin critic.

But they said she was not in short-term danger and any long-term risk was likely to be very small.

"It is a fraction of the lethal dose that Mr Litvinenko himself had," Home Secretary John Reid said.

The British government has struggled to allay public health concerns over radiation and police remain silent about their investigation into Litvinenko's slow and agonizing death.

The case has sparked a variety of theories, many centering on the possible involvement of rogue Russian agents.

Scaramella met Litvinenko at a London sushi restaurant on November 1, the same day the Russian fell ill.

Litvinenko, who also met two Russians in a London hotel on the same day, believed President Vladimir Putin had ordered him killed. Russia has dismissed the charge as ridiculous, but the case has created diplomatic tension between London and Moscow.................

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061201/ts_nm/...poisoning1_dc_1

What do you think will happen if this trail leads back to Moscow and the Kremlin with proof beyond reasonable doubt?

UK finds two more polonium cases in spy probe By Mark Trevelyan and Tahani Karrar

LONDON (Reuters) - British scientists probing the death of Alexander Litvinenko said on Friday that two more people had been contaminated with the same radioactive poison that killed the former Russian spy.

The growing number of cases raised fears of wider contamination in Britain, where Litvinenko's accusation that he was poisoned by Moscow has already strained relations with Russia.

Mario Scaramella, an Italian contact of Litvinenko, was admitted to hospital in London after polonium 210 was detected in his body, but a medical spokesman said he was "currently well and shows no symptoms of radiation poisoning."

Officials said an adult female relative of Litvinenko had shown traces in her urine of polonium 210, the same isotope that poisoned the former agent and outspoken Kremlin critic.

But they said she was not in short-term danger and any long-term risk was likely to be very small.

"It is a fraction of the lethal dose that Mr Litvinenko himself had," Home Secretary John Reid said.

The British government has struggled to allay public health concerns over radiation and police remain silent about their investigation into Litvinenko's slow and agonizing death.

The case has sparked a variety of theories, many centering on the possible involvement of rogue Russian agents.

Scaramella met Litvinenko at a London sushi restaurant on November 1, the same day the Russian fell ill.

Litvinenko, who also met two Russians in a London hotel on the same day, believed President Vladimir Putin had ordered him killed. Russia has dismissed the charge as ridiculous, but the case has created diplomatic tension between London and Moscow.................

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061201/ts_nm/...poisoning1_dc_1

Sounds like the other folks just got traces from contact with Litvinenko. My understanding is that all it takes to die is a tiny tiny dose of polonium 210. Dust, basically. And once its in your system, you excrete it everywhere you go in every form of bodily fluid. Every time you shake someone's hand, for instance, your sweat residue, which contains polonium, is transferred in some small but measurable increment. So with such high transferability and considering the relatively low dose that the other two folks got, I'd bet that they weren't targets of the assassin, so much as they were collateral damage.

This news didn't merit a Reuters article.

As far as what will happen if this is linked back to Russia...who know? I doubt very much.

Edited by TheNiche

The grounding of 3 British Airways 767's and 2 Russian operated 737's for this contamination thickens the plot. The plans were in and out of Moscow, flying the London- Moscow-London routes.

Seems like each day theres a new development on the news. Now Russia is "launching" its own investigation.

This will be the next 007 story line ;)

...........From Russia with love 2. Think about this though, this is just ONE story that you have heard about. How many ex-KGB, ex-CIA do you think have actually gotten the old Cloak & Dagger take out after their years of service ? I am sure more than you can count on your fingers and toes.

How many ex-KGB, ex-CIA do you think have actually gotten the old Cloak & Dagger take out after their years of service ? I am sure more than you can count on your fingers and toes.

I wouldnt doubt that one bit. What makes this so interesting is that Russia is supposed to be democratic now and free :D:D This sort of stuff shouldnt be happening.

Well, I don't doubt that if one of our ex-operatives had some deep dark secret on our own Leader, that might make him look a little too uncomfortable, that certain someone might be "dealt with harshly" also.

I'll bet that the guy that lost the briefcase for half a day during the Clinton Administration , the briefcase which contains all of our nuclear weapon disarm codes, the same breifcase you may have heard to be referred to as "the football", was probably handled in this same manner after the fumble was recovered after 12 hours of having been gone missing.

It also happened to Pres. Reagan on the day he was shot. The "football" was missing for almost 2 days, I am sure that SS Agent was handled accordingly also.

Edited by TJones

Well, I don't doubt that if one of our ex-operatives had some deep dark secret on our own Leader, that might make him look a little too uncomfortable, that certain someone might be "dealt with harshly" also.

I'll bet that the guy that lost the briefcase for half a day during the Clinton Administration , the briefcase which contains all of our nuclear weapon disarm codes, the same breifcase you may have heard to be referred to as "the football", was probably handled in this same manner after the fumble was recovered after 12 hours of having been gone missing.

It also happened to Pres. Reagan on the day he was shot. The "football" was missing for almost 2 days, I am sure that SS Agent was handled accordingly also.

The football is handled by the military. I remeber both incidents and i dont think they were dealt with properly. It is there job to shadow the Pres. and not leave his presence. those guys IMO should have been fired and brought up on charges--they are all officers.

More on the "plot"

Russian spy contact says poisoned over shared secrets

LONDON/ROME, Dec 2 (Reuters) - An Italian contact of poisoned former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko said he believed both were targeted with a radioactive substance because of secrets they shared.

Mario Scaramella said on Saturday urine tests showed he had received a potentially lethal dose of polonium 210 -- the rare radioactive isotope that killed Litvinenko -- and "dangerous concentrations" of polonium would stay in his body for months.

"I have reason to believe that the poisoning of myself and Litvinenko may be connected to information that Litvinenko himself, for months, had transmitted to me," Scaramella said in a statement published by Italian media.

He did not accuse anyone of the poisoning or specify what kind of information Litvinenko had sent him.

Scaramella's dosage of polonium was significantly lower than that of Litvinenko but still considered "potentially lethal and, therefore, capable of killing me," he said.

Litvinenko's mysterious poisoning has sparked a public health scare and strained London's relations with Moscow.

From his deathbed, Litvinenko accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of ordering his slow and agonising death..................

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybri...News&rpc=44