Minicars

METROPOLIS / SNAPSHOTS FROM THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

What Our Skyline Needs Is Minicars

MICHAEL T. JARVIS

December 5, 2004

It's still very much in the research-and-development phase, but inventor Doug Malewicki intends to eliminate commuter congestion with his latest brainstorm, the super-fast SkyTran personal transporter system of tiny two-seater vehicles that would take a commuter 100 mph to the station of his choice on aerial monorails. Creative foment is second nature to Malewicki, 65, a former Apollo space program analyst whose r

Something along those lines sounds like the future. He made it sound like most major streets would have the guide posts but he didn't talk about how we would get back and forth to street level. Would there be stations at every street?

They sound kind of cool, but I dont see it happening in my life time.

It's great...as long as nothing drops off, at 100 MPH, ala Las Vegas monorail. Plus, speed of commuting doesn't necessarily equal better quality of life. I think our quality of life is enhanced by the connections we make. What does it say about us as people when a major advantage of a transit system is that you don't have to interact with other humna beings?

Archived