Wingate Subdivision

mumbles

Am looking at the Wingate Subdivision and came accross one of those neighborhood crime stats thangs. Almost everything was below the average which is 100 the one exception was the murder rate which came in at 338! What the heck is that about?

Anyone have any opinions on this neighborhood?

Anyone know aprox travel time to loop on westpark tollway?

I know where it is...

It's in far west Harris County outside of Highway 6 and south of Westheimer, in Alief ISD. The neighborhood is NOT within the Houston city limits.

The zoned schools:

* Rees Elementary School

* Miller Intermediate School

* Albright Middle School

For high schoolers, residents are randomly assigned to Elsik, Hastings, or Taylor.

Okay, I was making sure you were refering to the one that I live by. I have inlaws there, and it seems quiet enough, BUT.. most of the kids there are "latch-key". It is also mostly minority (Hispanic, Black, Asian) which some embrace and others avoid.

Neighborhoods like this, where the mostly blue-collar working class live are plagued by parents who are too busy working to make ends meet to provide extra oversight & supervision to their kids. I'm not accusing any working parent of being a bad parent, but just stating the fact that you can't watch your kid if you're not physically there.

You can tell this neighborhood, like many others in the greater Mission Bend area, was once a "white flight" refuge, where white families in the 70's moved to, to get away from failing neighborhoods like Sharpstown, or Keegan's Glen. Now these neighbhorhoods are stuck in a limbo of sorts between becoming rundown ghettos like their predecesors, or staying the ideal suburban utopia they once were. It this case, as shown by the murder statistics, it seems to be losing the battle.

You can probably travel 10 to 15 minutes west on FM1093 (Westmeimer) and find new construction homes for the same price as Mission Bend's 20 year old models. With the Westpark Tollway, you essential remove any extended ETA on your commutes (granted you know when to leave, to avoid the rush hour back-up).

Edited by Jeebus

The problem with new homes is there are no trees. I call the neighborhoods hot boxes. I need my trees! In the new subdivisions in my area I also see tons of young kids. Young noisy kids...

The advantage of Wingate for me is it's 5 mins from the best dog park in town. They also seem to have large yards for patio homes.

Okay, I was making sure you were refering to the one that I live by. I have inlaws there, and it seems quiet enough, BUT.. most of the kids there are "latch-key". It is also mostly minority (Hispanic, Black, Asian) which some embrace and others avoid.

Neighborhoods like this, where the mostly blue-collar working class live are plagued by parents who are too busy working to make ends meet to provide extra oversight & supervision to their kids. I'm not accusing any working parent of being a bad parent, but just stating the fact that you can't watch your kid if you're not physically there.

You can tell this neighborhood, like many others in the greater Mission Bend area, was once a "white flight" refuge, where white families in the 70's moved to, to get away from failing neighborhoods like Sharpstown, or Keegan's Glen. Now these neighbhorhoods are stuck in a limbo of sorts between becoming rundown ghettos like their predecesors, or staying the ideal suburban utopia they once were. It this case, as shown by the murder statistics, it seems to be losing the battle.

You can probably travel 10 to 15 minutes west on FM1093 (Westmeimer) and find new construction homes for the same price as Mission Bend's 20 year old models. With the Westpark Tollway, you essential remove any extended ETA on your commutes (granted you know when to leave, to avoid the rush hour back-up).

The advantage of Wingate for me is it's 5 mins from the best dog park in town.
This is very true. I only focused on the potential bad traits of the area. As for reasons to live there, you have:

Dog Park (turn north at the 1093/1464 intersection)

Quick Access to Downtown via Westpark Tollway (entrance at 1464 & 1093)

Quick Access to West Houston (West Oaks) via 1093

Quick Access to I-10 via SH6 north

Quick Access to Sugar Land ammenities via SH6 south

Quick Access to Cinco Ranch ammenities via Mason/Fry north

I live about 5 minutes west of Wingate and its quite easy for me to access all the above mentions. And you're right, the subdivision is older, so the trees have had enough time to grow and provide a shady canopy. My only real complaint would be the Alief ISD, when you're so close to Ft. Bend.