Hempstead Industrial Corridor

Guest danax

Driving down Hempstead Rd. recently I noticed, around 11th St., a sign for Northgate Custom Homes on a large, vacant parcel. These are the same folks who brought us McKinney Villas in the Warehouse District (perhaps my least favorite complex over there).

It would seem to me that a lot of that industrial along Hempstead will eventually get converted to residential. Location is good, some large parcels are vacant and a lot of the existing industrial is old and should yield easily to conversion. An eventual MetroRail line down Washington/Hempstead connecting with the Uptown line would really set the stage.

Just wanted to point this out for anyone possibly looking for a new, possibly affordable townhome sector.

• 2 months later...
Driving down Hempstead Rd. recently I noticed, around 11th St., a sign for Northgate Custom Homes on a large, vacant parcel. These are the same folks who brought us McKinney Villas in the Warehouse District (perhaps my least favorite complex over there).

It would seem to me that a lot of that industrial along Hempstead will eventually get converted to residential. Location is good, some large parcels are vacant and a lot of the existing industrial is old and should yield easily to conversion. An eventual MetroRail line down Washington/Hempstead connecting with the Uptown line would really set the stage.

Just wanted to point this out for anyone possibly looking for a new, possibly affordable townhome sector.

Don't forget to remind those developers about the stinky creasote plant that used to be on 12th at Hempstead. It stank for years even after it was demolished. I think they finally had to bring in huge piles of dirt just to cover up the smell.

Archived