Where to buy a tree

i suppose that it's ok to ask this question here as I consider it home improvement. I am in the Katy area. Where is a good place to buy a tree I want to plant in the back yard. My budget would be under $150.00 dollars can I get a decent sized tree for this price (maybe a 30 gallon potted one) Also, I am up for suggestions for the type of tree. I want to put it in my back yard and I want something that will grow fairly quick to provide some decent shade in 10 years. I like that a live oak doesn't lose it's leaves but it is slow growing right. I had a red oak (shumar I think) before. It was nice and grew pretty quick but it loses all it's leaves every fall. but is was a nice looking tree. Any other suggestions or a place to buy one, thanks. And is it above my budget to have one delivered and planted. I can do this i have a truck as long as it will fit. thanks

Edited by westguy76

i suppose that it's ok to ask this question here as I consider it home improvement. I am in the Katy area. Where is a good place to buy a tree I want to plant in the back yard. My budget would be under $150.00 dollars can I get a decent sized tree for this price (maybe a 30 gallon potted one) Also, I am up for suggestions for the type of tree. I want to put it in my back yard and I want something that will grow fairly quick to provide some decent shade in 10 years. I like that a live oak doesn't lose it's leaves but it is slow growing right. I had a red oak (shumar I think) before. It was nice and grew pretty quick but it loses all it's leaves every fall. but is was a nice looking tree. Any other suggestions or a place to buy one, thanks. And is it above my budget to have one delivered and planted. I can do this i have a truck as long as it will fit. thanks

I've heard this place is good:

http://www.shadesoftexas.com/

also, we have a live oak in the backyard...i think it has doubled in size in a two year span since we've been feeding it once a year....It's a nice tree....

We also have a live oak in the front that is probably a 50+ year old tree...it doesn't drop its leave in the fall but rather in the spring....at the same time it grows new leaves...so it's never bare..but they do drop...

also..check out this article on types of trees for the texas area:

http://www.950kprc.com/pages/gardenline-dozentrees.html

I've heard this place is good:

http://www.shadesoftexas.com/

also, we have a live oak in the backyard...i think it has doubled in size in a two year span since we've been feeding it once a year....It's a nice tree....

We also have a live oak in the front that is probably a 50+ year old tree...it doesn't drop its leave in the fall but rather in the spring....at the same time it grows new leaves...so it's never bare..but they do drop...

also..check out this article on types of trees for the texas area:

http://www.950kprc.com/pages/gardenline-dozentrees.html

thanks for the links. informative tree info in the second one

I'll have to see if they have any trees at the local houston garden center too. I hadn't noticed any shade trees there before just decorative ones but I could have easily overlooked them.

Anyone know what a tree should cost at the size where i can still plant it myself

Edited by westguy76

Hello - I live in Katy as well. I am off of Grand Parkway and Fry road - we just purchased a tree for our backyard from the Houston Plant & Garden center on Grand Parkway just south of I-10. They are having a 70% off sale...it is a good deal. We purchased a 75 gallon live oak (a pretty big tree) for $75. Normally $250. I know they still have several of them...they are sitting in the parking lot. It to some work to plant it and you will need to go to Lowes or something to buy stakes for it.

Good luck! Now is the time to do it!

Two trees you should never buy are Silver Maples and the Arizona Ash. Both have weak wood and are short lived. they will start to decline about 30 years after they are planted.

I went ahead and found a 30 gallon water oak for $65 dollars. It's abought 12-15 feet tall already and was told it is a pretty fast growing tree for an oak. I can't imagine planting one larger by myself. I went to a differant Houston Garden Center location and was dissapointed in the quality of what they had so I went to a nursery on hwy 6 a little south of the westpark tollway that I had been to before. I bought a little Meyer Lemon tree also I plan to plant in the side yard. Thanks for the input all.