Commute Help: Rice University To I-10/Barker-Cypress

mpbro

In the morning, assuming you're making the typical commute, 59 to Westpark Tollway exit Hwy 6 should work fine. You are lucky as there is a direct exit from the westbound tollway to Hwy 6 north. That is a blessing, as regular users of this quirky toll road know. Hwy 6 north to I10 and then west to Barker Cypress should be painless.

In the evening, it's a liitle trickier getting back on Westpark Tollway heading East from Hwy 6. You have to drive a mile or so through several lights down Alief Clodine Road and enter at Eldridge. Also, traffic can back up on the I10 service road waiting to turn at Hwy 6. You can try cutting behind on the road that runs behind all those motels.

If I10 was moving (it sometimes is), I'd consider staying on 10 all the way to Sam Houston Tollway, 610, or even Studemont just to save toll money.

In the morning, assuming you're making the typical commute, 59 to Westpark Tollway exit Hwy 6 should work fine. You are lucky as there is a direct exit from the westbound tollway to Hwy 6 north. That is a blessing, as regular users of this quirky toll road know. Hwy 6 north to I10 and then west to Barker Cypress should be painless.

In the evening, it's a liitle trickier getting back on Westpark Tollway heading East from Hwy 6. You have to drive a mile or so through several lights down Alief Clodine Road and enter at Eldridge. Also, traffic can back up on the I10 service road waiting to turn at Hwy 6. You can try cutting behind on the road that runs behind all those motels.

If I10 was moving (it sometimes is), I'd consider staying on 10 all the way to Sam Houston Tollway, 610, or even Studemont just to save toll money.

Heh-heh, spoken like a true Houstonian! Thanks much for the crafty advice.

Just looking at the traffic flow maps, it looks like the morning commute will be a snap. Everything seems backed up in the afternoon, though. What about backtracking to Grand Parkway in the afternoon?

i used to commute from pasadena to the energy corridor in the mornings so barker cypress isn't much further really.

i've done several routes...

westpark to hi 6 to 10

westpark to eldridge to 10

westpark to 8 to 10 to eldridge...

the best quickest easiest route is westpark to bw8 to 10 west....

you'll be going against traffic for most of the way...

i'd take greenbriar up to 59 to get to westpark as opposed to 610 around.

what time you leave in the morning w/be very pivotal as to how much traffic you deal with of course as you know.

Well, thanks for the further replies. I've commuted the past 2 days on various routes.

Westpark westbound in the mornings is a snap

Westpark eastbound in the evenings is a snap

I-10 west in the mornings is a snap

I-10 east sucks ass from 6 to 8

I-10 east sucks MAJOR ass from 8 to 610!

Trying to backtrack to 99 is a drag. Had to wait 4 light cycles to get to light!

I've heard that 6 is a decent option, except for the right turn off the EB I-10 feeder. I think I will try going east on Park Row (just N of I-10), and right on 6.

I will try the Eldridge option.

Edited by mpbro

Well, thanks for the further replies. I've commuted the past 2 days on various routes.

Westpark westbound in the mornings is a snap

Westpark eastbound in the evenings is a snap

I-10 west in the mornings is a snap

I-10 east sucks ass from 6 to 8

I-10 east sucks MAJOR ass from 8 to 610!

Trying to backtrack to 99 is a drag. Had to wait 4 light cycles to get to light!

I've heard that 6 is a decent option, except for the right turn off the EB I-10 feeder. I think I will try going east on Park Row (just N of I-10), and right on 6.

I will try the Eldridge option.

I tried SH-6 NB from Westpark to I-10 this morning...it basically sucks, but could be worse. I'm just going to take I-10 in the mornings.

I found an interesting evening "short cut" that lets me avoid I-10 altogether and moves fast the whole time!

Park Row to SH-6.

Right on Patterson

Left on Eldridge

Right on Clay

South on BW-8

Westpark Tollway and home

I think it's actually about 8 miles longer than just going I-10 to BW-8, but I think it is slightly faster, and way less irritating, if bumper-to-bumper traffic irritates you. There are only about 5 stoplights, and all are right turns.

Edited by mpbro

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been doing this commute for over a month, so here is my daily routine.

Leave home before 6:30. 59 south to 610W north to 10 west. I can get to Barker-Cypress in 25 minutes most days.

The afternoon commute is considerably more irritating. On most days, I just suffer 10 east to BW-8 and take the WPTW to 59 N. The "shortcut" to Clay is fine if there isn't a jam at Eldridge and Clay, but I use it only when 10 looks miserable.

I've tried Eldridge and Dairy Ashford to the WPTW. I find Dairy Ashford far superior! The lights seem to be synchronizedat 4:30 pm. I was able to get home in 35 minutes. Also, the right turn off the feeder is no problem. Eldridge is a pain by comparison. Bad right turn off the feeder, more traffic, asynchronous stoplights.

• The title was changed to Commute Help: Rice University To I-10/Barker-Cypress