Replacing Roof, Need Contractor/Advice

OK, here's where I'm at. The foundation is step #1, and I'll have my second estimate this weekend. Termites are a quick #2, also something that'll be addressed this weekend. Roof repair will be #3.

And I've got two roof options: 1) replace the roof with a new one that'll last until long long after the house has sold, or 2) apply an inexpensive mastic over any and all seems, holes, and cracks in the existing roll roofing; then replace the roof later on down the line when there's more cash available.

Question 1: Does anybody know any reputable roofing companies that'll do a good job for relatively little $$$?

Question 2: I'm not too familiar with the pricing of mastic. Anybody have any idea how much it might cost to do a temporary patch job on a really ugly roof? How long would it likely last?

Thanks!

Niche,

A neighbor of mine has a son that is a roofer. I will ask him.

We put an offer on a house that has termite damage and active termites I think. I called Nettles and they said it was $5.00 a linear foot to treat.

Scharpe St Guy

OK, here's where I'm at. The foundation is step #1, and I'll have my second estimate this weekend. Termites are a quick #2, also something that'll be addressed this weekend. Roof repair will be #3.

And I've got two roof options: 1) replace the roof with a new one that'll last until long long after the house has sold, or 2) apply an inexpensive mastic over any and all seems, holes, and cracks in the existing roll roofing; then replace the roof later on down the line when there's more cash available.

Question 1: Does anybody know any reputable roofing companies that'll do a good job for relatively little $$$?

Question 2: I'm not too familiar with the pricing of mastic. Anybody have any idea how much it might cost to do a temporary patch job on a really ugly roof? How long would it likely last?

Thanks!

Yeah, well no offense, but I'm not in the market for a "hit or miss" contractor.

When they miss, it was for good reason, my home is pretty ratty, and they take full responsibility to permanently fix it. Most homes are not combo flat and shingled, my home is a special case.

So despite my initial pain with them, they really do well to redeem themselves.

Mastic is cheap--you can buy a gallon at HD for maybe $20. We patched leaking flashing around our chimney ourselves, but the bigger leaks are still a problem. We may move within the year, so would like to avoid redoing roof, though it is the right thing to do, IMO. No recs on roofers, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

It may be too late as this is a somewhat old posting/question. Nevertheless, I have been conducting a fair amout of research on this issue.

You do not want to skimp when it comes to your roof. This is your primary envelope against the elements.

You will need to thoroughly research the type of roof you have and then consider the types of roofing availible for the type.

A company with a successful track record is a given.

Once you've made your selection of a company, you should meet with the installation supervisor and review how the work will be performed and what is and what isn't included in the scope of services.

Understand what the warrenty covers -- labor only or material only or both?

How much repair work will be necessary to the facsia and sub-strate and what's included in the base bid?

I've already stated it but I cannot over stress gaining an understanding of the roofing process.

Good luck!

Archived