Random Thoughts

pineda

Sheryl Crow played the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion last night.

Thank you, thank you to whomever was responsible from the Woodlands Operating machine for not completely shutting down Six Pines on the day of the concert for road repairs. I heard that this was the plan, but the folks had the Pavilion found out about it, and made some last minute phone calls to stop this insane plan on the weekend of three big concerts back-to-back: Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt & Buzzfest.

The opening act, John Mayer, was very good, and he looked all of 19 years old. How old is he? He reminded some of us older folks of a young James Taylor, the way he sang. Really liked him.

Whoever did Sheryl Crow's make-up needs to be slapped. "Skanky ho" is not a good look on her. Blue eyeshadow, dark pink rouge all OVER her cheeks, and dark pinky red lipstick, come on? Sheryl is a gorgeous woman, but her poorly done make-up job detracted and distracted her audience. When you're on two Jumbotron screens on either side of the stage like that, a more subtle approach is needed. Sheryl is tan and fit, and really just a natural look would have been a lot better.

This was the first time I'd been to one of her concerts, so I don't know is this is the norm, but I did not understand the lighting techniques used. Who lights a person from underneath, like with a flashlight? She looked like "Two-Face" from that Jerry Seinfeld episode at times, who does that? Hint: Find out who did the lighting at the last Neil Young concert. That guy is NOT good-looking at all; and yet, the lighting made him look really good. Also, the technique whereby floodlights are shown directly into the audience's faces was annoying; cut it out.

I have been to many other concerts at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion though, and I don't recall having such poor sound quality. Too much of the thumping bass muddied up her vocals to the point where you were happy you knew the words already, because you couldn't really hear her singing them clearly. She does have a fantastic band, but the instrumentation overshadowed her vocals way too much.

She ended the concert with a surprising number: Rock & Roll by Led Zeppelin, and she was note and pitch perfect, proving she is one great rock & roller herself. Great job, Sheryl!

Finally, one last thought, one that was echoed by some in the audience we spoke with:

Lance, you're an idiot!

Edited by pineda
  • Like 1

You are right, Lance is an idiot. For leaving his wife and children, so he could run off with a homewrecking "skanky ho." Didn't Sheryl KNOW he was married ? I don't feel bad for either one of them. I feel bad for the ex-wife and children, and so should you, NOT Sheryl Crow for cryin' out loud. I just really hope that Sheryl will find someone that will buy her a sandwich to eat every now and then.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1

I really don't feel sorry or bad for any of them, and I was kidding about Lance being an idiot. I'm pretty sure he's far from it. It would appear from the statement below that Lance's wife is doing okay. She's dating someone now, and her and Lance both say they're happier apart, rather than together. I was just giving random impressions of a concert I attended; sorry if that offended your sensibilities so much, TJ.

Kristin Armstrong about the breakup of their marriage, 2/2003: Marriage problems were "brought on gradually by a number of pressures, rather than one big blow-up. We've been together 4 1/2 years, and we've had six homes, three languages, three countries, one cancer comeback, three children, four Tour de France wins and one rise to celebrity. You're not supposed to cram such a huge amount of events into such a small period of time."
Edited by pineda
  • Like 1

I really don't feel sorry or bad for any of them, and I was kidding about Lance being an idiot. I'm pretty sure he's far from it. It would appear from the statement below that Lance's wife is doing okay. She's dating someone now, and her and Lance both say they're happier apart, rather than together. I was just giving random impressions of a concert I attended; sorry if that offended your sensibilities so much, TJ.

NAH ! I was just messin' with you. They are celebrities, it is a given that when you get famous, that whoever is hottest will hook up with the opposite hottest at the time just to make headlines.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Random Thoughts