High School College Night

pineda

We recently held a "College Night" in our area. One of the speakers was from the University of Texas. When asked about decent, available housing, she just laughed and said, "Well, I'm supposed to tell you that ALL housing is good housing, but...". She also said that there is not enough housing on campus, even for all the freshmen each year, and that they now have a program where they get some graduating high school seniors to start in June, to somehow alleviate the housing problem, not sure how that works. We also heard from a representative from the University of St. Thomas, who said that they have plenty of on-campus housing and that's it only three years old, in some areas, and that it was inexpensive. The Rice representative was pretty enthusiastic about what great housing they had, too. One representative from Notre Dame said that tuition & housing costs for one year at that school was close to $50K, but that it's worth it, because it's a "Dream School". (Meaning I suppose that I could only afford it in my dreams...)

My question, to all those college students, on this HAIF board, is:

What types of housing situations did you or are you experiencing? Is housing plentiful where you're at? Is it pretty nice or pretty crappy? Is it cheap or pricey? Is it on-campus or off? Please feel free to vent away. It's been many moons since I was in college, so I'd like to hear some current opinions on different schools.

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

I dropped my sister in law off at UT for her freshman year in Kinsolving (all girl) dorm. THe place is nice and clean, although its a bit old. The room is a little larger than a prison cell, but she reports the food is fine, and it costs her 700 month (food and housing).

Lubbock freshmen housing sucks ass. They have futon 'fold out' beds. And when they open up, the both of them, there is only about 4 inches between you and the other guy. So you can be sleeping one saturday night only to wake up Sunday morning to find your roomate and his two girl buddies rolled onto your bed.

Nasty experience.

i live next to st. thomas campus. the dorm building is quite fancy.

it has a pretty large smoking area in front too... the only thing i know

from living nearby is they have had more fire alarms pulled than i

have heard since the building was there... when that happens, the

students stand outside and smoke. :lol:

my last apartment was also off of st. thomas but they purchased

it for additional student housing. so there are fourplex houses,

apartment buildings and the fancy 3 year building with the nifty

smoking area.

• The title was changed to High School College Night

Archived