Condos in Houston..within low crime zipcodes

Samsoner

Hi,

I've backed out of moving to Pearland, Texas and I decided to relocate to Houston itself because I will be closer to jobs, University of Houston and that genuine urban feel. I'm originally from an urban city and while Pearland was nice, it seemed like it was too rural/suburban for me. Also, if I made friends in Houston I know it would suck for the both of us to travel a distance for a party or a get together.

So, I am thinking about the condos in Houston and was interested to find what zipcodes or districts are low-crime areas. Does Houston have an online police report? Thanks.

Hi,

I've backed out of moving to Pearland, Texas and I decided to relocate to Houston itself because I will be closer to jobs, University of Houston and that genuine urban feel. I'm originally from an urban city and while Pearland was nice, it seemed like it was too rural/suburban for me. Also, if I made friends in Houston I know it would suck for the both of us to travel a distance for a party or a get together.

So, I am thinking about the condos in Houston and was interested to find what zipcodes or districts are low-crime areas. Does Houston have an online police report? Thanks.

You can view crime statistics at http://www.houstontx.gov/police/stats2.htm

I believe downtown, which is 77002, has the lowest crime numbers in Houston. If your not opposed to highrise/loft living it's a great place to live. Try searching the residential lease section of har.com for 77002.

Hi,

The thing is, don't let that "low crime" in a zip code lure you into a false sense of security. The fact that urban living allows you to be close to everything also puts crooks within easy reach of you.

I was having a conversation with someone who was a victim of mugging in montrose. They were obviously upset about the whole deal, but you are always aware of it happening in the city. So if it happens, the smarter ones are always on guard and when it DOES happen, it comes with the territory of living in a city.

The very same week, I was talking to another who had their car vandalized and you could have sworn that the crooks devestated their lives! It shattered their sense of security, especially considering it happend in their own driveway.

The only difference from crime in one neighborhood vs. another is the fact that you have to be equally alert and take precautions that will reduce the odds of you being a victim. Living in a "low crime" zip code is not a guarentee of not being a victim of crime.

The very same week, I was talking to another who had their car vandalized and you could have sworn that the crooks devestated their lives! It shattered their sense of security, especially considering it happend in their own driveway.

Yep. A friend of mine had her truck broken into in early September when it was parked overnight along Jackson Street, just north of Hermann Drive, outside her apartment complex. Same reaction. She's still griping about it, over a month later and seems very crime-concious whenever we're walking somewhere...keeps asking whether I've taken the classes to get a concealed carry permit yet.

Yep. A friend of mine had her truck broken into in early September when it was parked overnight along Jackson Street, just north of Hermann Drive, outside her apartment complex. Same reaction. She's still griping about it, over a month later and seems very crime-concious whenever we're walking somewhere...keeps asking whether I've taken the classes to get a concealed carry permit yet.

i should clarify my original post. the person with the vandalized car lived in the burbs, and her sense of security was shattered because she lived in what she considered a "safe" part of town.

Low crime likely does not include being harassed or small acts of vandalism that do not get reported I am sure.

that's quite true, but different demographics have different instinctual reflexes when outside forces intrudes one's world.

i've seen people fall apart and not able to function if they gotten a scratch on thier paintjob at the supermarket!

after our garage was broken into and everything carted off in Montrose, i swear i started receiving flyers and other mail almost instantly on a half dozen 'safer' gated complexes outside the loop...it took me a few days to make the connection...

i hadn't heard of people doing it before (buying lists of recently violated people who would consider moving to some where 'safer')...but i imagine it is similiar to attorneys buying lists from the county courts of people with tickets...

or all those postcards you get in the mail after you say you will take defensive driving *cough*cough* not that i would know anything about that...

Edited by heightslurker