New Nice Listing In Broadmoor

Congratulations Niche,

Transaction Closing "HELL" really does have an ending uh!!! What is the first project?

Scharpe St Guy

Step One: Rekey the locks. Then it'll be a matter of arranging to have the roof replaced, the foundation leveled, and temporarily sealing cracks in the brickwork; gotta protect the bones. After that, I'll do most of the work, so it'll go much more slowly.

If I may make a suggestion to the HAIF powers that be, we seem to lack a section to discuss issues of home repair, maintenance, and renovation. Seems like most people use the "Real Estate and Homebuilding" section, but given the number of threads that we have that are dedicated more to repairs and such, perhaps that topic merits its own section. You can bet that I'll be doing my part to keep it well-populated.

Transaction Closing "HELL" really does have an ending uh!!!

No. Evidently not.

It pains me to do this, but I must now go back on the statement "I closed earlier today". The bank faxed the paperwork to the wrong title company and there isn't enough time today for them to reprocess the paperwork and get it back to the correct title company...so I'll be waiting until Monday to take possession. :closedeyes:

Congrats Niche, didn't even know you were looking. My closing got drawn out, something with Star Tex's bank.

I hadn't been looking...not for 3 1/2 months, anyway. The deal has been pending ever since the middle of June. Seller had to clear a couple of very old liens that they claim not to have been aware of...one at a time, of course.

Congrats Niche, didn't even know you were looking. My closing got drawn out, something with Star Tex's bank.

There was a StarTex at 1800 Bering that just went out of business and they shifted their files and closings to a different location but are still funding through the old branch's bank. I'm involved in a couple of those coming up.

I love that Broadmoor 4-square. It's one I would love to live in if I were looking.

[quote name='TheNiche' date='Friday, September 29th, 2006 @ 12:46pm' post='116945'

If I may make a suggestion to the HAIF powers that be, we seem to lack a section to discuss issues of home repair, maintenance, and renovation. Seems like most people use the "Real Estate and Homebuilding" section, but given the number of threads that we have that are dedicated more to repairs and such, perhaps that topic merits its own section. You can bet that I'll be doing my part to keep it well-populated.

I'll second your suggestion for this new section! Since the motto for most Houston homeowners is "Newer is Better" there's precious little out there in the way of local resources or advice for those of us with older houses.

The Old House Journal has an online forum dealing with the care and renovation of older houses but most of the posts are by people in the north, east and midwest. Down here, we're not as concerned with basement furnaces and storm windows.

Wife and I walked the home this morning. Things I noted were:

1. Foundation is block/beam and his high at the front of the house so the floor slopes towards to the back. I would think it should be an easy fix for a foundation company.

2. Kitchen needs to be redesigned/redone.

3. Wood floors were redone in the majority of the home but they forgot one bedroom upstairs and the old kitchen upstairs still has vinyl flue down which should be taken up and wood floors restored.

4. Addition of a garage.

5. Home next door has been vacant a long long time and getting more and more rough. Potential to purchase lot and increase lot size by double. So 12,500sqft total.

Great house though, easy redo/fix/restore.

Scharpe St Guy

That is an awfully nice looking house for $150k inside the loop. It should sell pretty fast.

We looked at this one on Sunday + pretty much agree w/SSG. The walled-up fireplace stood out as a real "what were they thinking?" feature, and the kitchen really needs another plan. Many of the double-hung windows on the 2nd floor had missing weights. But overall, a good remodel for someone willing to get in there and do some work. According to the realtor, the property next door has been purchased & the buyer plans to gut + rehab...

Wife and I walked the home this morning. Things I noted were:

1. Foundation is block/beam and his high at the front of the house so the floor slopes towards to the back. I would think it should be an easy fix for a foundation company.

2. Kitchen needs to be redesigned/redone.

3. Wood floors were redone in the majority of the home but they forgot one bedroom upstairs and the old kitchen upstairs still has vinyl flue down which should be taken up and wood floors restored.

4. Addition of a garage.

5. Home next door has been vacant a long long time and getting more and more rough. Potential to purchase lot and increase lot size by double. So 12,500sqft total.

Great house though, easy redo/fix/restore.

Scharpe St Guy

Amoxill,

I didn't notice the fireplace issue you brought up. Are you looking in the Broadmoor area? Are you using a Carlos Garcia Agent? When I pulled up the home next door I did not see any recent transaction data for it, apparently the same guy has owned it for a long time and he lives in Montrose.

Scharpe St Guy

We looked at this one on Sunday + pretty much agree w/SSG. The walled-up fireplace stood out as a real "what were they thinking?" feature, and the kitchen really needs another plan. Many of the double-hung windows on the 2nd floor had missing weights. But overall, a good remodel for someone willing to get in there and do some work. According to the realtor, the property next door has been purchased & the buyer plans to gut + rehab...

Yeah, it was 1502 Scharpe. The realtor actually pointed out the walled-up FP. He may have been BS'ing about the property next door to allay any fears about next-door squalor...but HCAD took awhile to update when we purchased our property, so who knows?

We spoke yesterday w/a realtor that knows Eastwood/Broadmoor well & apparently 1502 Scharpe listed awile back for 130K, but they pulled it off the market pretty quickly. At $150K, it is still a sound investment, IMHO.

a.

Amoxill,

I didn't notice the fireplace issue you brought up. Are you looking in the Broadmoor area? Are you using a Carlos Garcia Agent? When I pulled up the home next door I did not see any recent transaction data for it, apparently the same guy has owned it for a long time and he lives in Montrose.

Scharpe St Guy

That agent was in correct. It was on the market for 81 days for $145,000. After the listing expired I saw a lot of work go on in the house with trucks and cars showing up each day. I'm figuring they did the floors and some patch work here and there.

I think it would be a great buy, i'm truly surprised that it's not Pending yet. Carlos Garcia typiclly sell there homes pretty quickly around here. Not sure about the home next door but I think it's still a pretty good opportunity to eventually purchase one home and two lots if you tear that one down. It has a really old player piano inside and all types of furniture stacked up and strewn all about. I would love to be able to pick through it.

Scharpe St Guy

Yeah, it was 1502 Scharpe. The realtor actually pointed out the walled-up FP. He may have been BS'ing about the property next door to allay any fears about next-door squalor...but HCAD took awhile to update when we purchased our property, so who knows?

We spoke yesterday w/a realtor that knows Eastwood/Broadmoor well & apparently 1502 Scharpe listed awile back for 130K, but they pulled it off the market pretty quickly. At $150K, it is still a sound investment, IMHO.

a.

No. Evidently not.

It pains me to do this, but I must now go back on the statement "I closed earlier today". The bank faxed the paperwork to the wrong title company and there isn't enough time today for them to reprocess the paperwork and get it back to the correct title company...so I'll be waiting until Monday to take possession. :closedeyes:

Niche, perhaps I missed the news, but did you ever get things straightened out so you could get the keys to your Eastwood property?

Niche, perhaps I missed the news, but did you ever get things straightened out so you could get the keys to your Eastwood property?

Sure did. Took possession over the weekend--the bank evidently did a rush job on refiling the paperwork, and got everything straightened out late on Friday night. Got electricity hooked up yesterday.

Haven't had the chance to take photos yet. I'm going to need a good solid 'before' set. I'll post a few when I've got them.

Sure did. Took possession over the weekend--the bank evidently did a rush job on refiling the paperwork, and got everything straightened out late on Friday night. Got electricity hooked up yesterday.

Haven't had the chance to take photos yet. I'm going to need a good solid 'before' set. I'll post a few when I've got them.

Congratulations! And welcome to the neighborhood! I'll look forward to seeing some interior pix. From the exterior, it looks like a potential showplace. Are you going to live there while doing the renovation?

Yes Congratulations indeed. Can't wait to see in person or photo's.

1502 Scharpe St had some attention yesterday. Tried talking to the (white) prospective buyer but he was not the talking type I guess! He showed up with a couple other guys who I assumed may be contractors to look at work to be done. May have a new neighbor soon!

Scharpe St Guy

Congratulations! And welcome to the neighborhood! I'll look forward to seeing some interior pix. From the exterior, it looks like a potential showplace. Are you going to live there while doing the renovation?

Hard to say, just yet. About a month before closing, my g/f and I mutually decided to split, but also still trusted one another enough to continue with the renovation project. Per our contractual agreement, she's placed herself in a much more precarious financial position, but is also entitled to the option on living there. So unless she comes to find out that it has a major roach infestation or something of that matter that she just can't live with, I'll probably still be at the condo near the TMC. It's complicated...

You're right that it has a lot of potential as a showpiece. I own most of the sidewalks, so way down the line, I plan on paving the tip end of the lot where it sticks into the middle of the intersection and erecting a small sculpture or fountain. Nothing gaudy, nothing that screams "look at me", but something that accents the home and the neighborhood. A subtle landmark.

• The title was changed to New Nice Listing In Broadmoor

Archived