Hickory Creek

kmegan

I'm looking at buying my first home in Katy and wanted to get some opinions on the older homes in Hickory Creek. I've gotten used to apartment living so anything over 1700 sf seems unmanagemable and expensive (a/c) to me. I'd be willing to live in something up to 2000 sf, but my choices are pretty limited. Hickory Creek seemed like a nice enough neighborhood with smaller homes. It's surrounded by Seven Meadows and I'm willing to bet that given its location that prices will continue to appreciate. I can afford as much as $180,000 but I don't require a "nice" or new home. I just want to make a good investment in a safe neighborhood. Any recommendations?

I'm looking at buying my first home in Katy and wanted to get some opinions on the older homes in Hickory Creek. I've gotten used to apartment living so anything over 1700 sf seems unmanagemable and expensive (a/c) to me. I'd be willing to live in something up to 2000 sf, but my choices are pretty limited. Hickory Creek seemed like a nice enough neighborhood with smaller homes. It's surrounded by Seven Meadows and I'm willing to bet that given its location that prices will continue to appreciate. I can afford as much as $180,000 but I don't require a "nice" or new home. I just want to make a good investment in a safe neighborhood. Any recommendations?

Here is the link to the chronicle home price survey that gives information on home price trends by neighborhood. It shows that Hickory Creek has been appreciating where as the Cinco Ranch 1093 tract has taken a big hit in home prices. It gives information on pricing trends over the last year as well as over the last 5 years. I've included all Katy School district subdivions. Just copy and paste this link on your toolbar.

http://www.chron.com/c/apps/HomeFront/hf.m...nd=&subdiv=

My thought is to use caution when trying to determine whether homes in Hickory Creek will continue to appreciate. I know the westpark tollway will continue westward outside the Grand parkway. If you look at Cinco Ranch tract 1093 trends over the last year it has dropped significantly. My thought is the new Westpark tollway running adjacent had something to do with that. So my thought is to use caution in your analyzing Hickory Creek.

My thought is to use caution when trying to determine whether homes in Hickory Creek will continue to appreciate. I know the westpark tollway will continue westward outside the Grand parkway. If you look at Cinco Ranch tract 1093 trends over the last year it has dropped significantly. My thought is the new Westpark tollway running adjacent had something to do with that. So my thought is to use caution in your analyzing Hickory Creek.

I would probably stay away from the homes that back up to 1093. However, if there are homes that have more of a buffer you might be okay. I'm not overly familiar with the neighborhood, however.

Thanks for the Chronicle home survey. Very useful:-). I see the concerns about the homes backing up to 1093 but there are lots of nice homes along the freeway like Seven Meadows and the Cinco homes. There is a Cinco sub along 1093 that's not doing well but I think that has more to do with the crappy builder. The houses look like boxes. I assume this is the primary reason because Cinco Canyon Gate and South Park are doing well.

I dunno. Another thread mentioned a stack interchange at that intersection. And then there's the Super Walmart on the other side of 1093. I'm not sure what that would mean either. *sigh*

Thanks for the Chronicle home survey. Very useful:-). I see the concerns about the homes backing up to 1093 but there are lots of nice homes along the freeway like Seven Meadows and the Cinco homes. There is a Cinco sub along 1093 that's not doing well but I think that has more to do with the crappy builder. The houses look like boxes. I assume this is the primary reason because Cinco Canyon Gate and South Park are doing well.

I dunno. Another thread mentioned a stack interchange at that intersection. And then there's the Super Walmart on the other side of 1093. I'm not sure what that would mean either. *sigh*

The proposed Wal-Mart would be farther south at Bellaire & 99. I've driven by the location and it would not be visible from 1093, nor would I consider it directly impacting Hickory Creek. Plus there are neighborhoods going up in the area in between. I'm not saying I view a possible WalMart as a big plus, but it wouldn't really impact my decision.

Have you thought about Nottingham Country? It best to buy a least expensive house in a subdivision than the most expensive house in a subdivision. Look at some of the houses in the Dominion/Hoveden area of Nottingham. They might be in your price range. You might pick up a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my house in Williamsburg Settlement a couple of years ago and could not be happier. It has great access to I-10 and the Grand Parkway. It's just minutes from shopping and medical services. The best feature is the neighborhood has no streets that go straight through the subdivision. A large circle encompasses the neighborhood so we don't have a lot of drive through traffic. I live on one of the busier streets and it is always quiet. The homes are starting to age a little, so you will have some typical maintenance for a home that is 20 - 25 years old. I had also looked in Nottingham Country as well when I was in the process of looking for a new home and Williamsburg Settlement just seemed more "homey" to me. I work with quite a few people that live in my neighborhood and we all feel the same way.

Have you thought about Nottingham Country? It best to buy a least expensive house in a subdivision than the most expensive house in a subdivision. Look at some of the houses in the Dominion/Hoveden area of Nottingham. They might be in your price range. You might pick up a good deal.

Archived