Pelican Island Question

I don't think Galveston needs more sect 8 housing. Hell, UTMB appears to be changing its mode to take care the poor. I think it's time to Galveston to get away from being a dumping ground for destitute people and move forward. Like the adage, everyone wants to take care of the homeless, needing halfway homes, etc. as long as it's not in my backyard.

Galveston isle has enough problems with infrastructure for the existing east end much less for the west end and the wharf.

Well, there goes a large chunk of land on Pelican Island

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...4fa362bc5e72d10

Well this is vague. I want details, dammit.

Specifically, I want a time frame, answers regarding expansion of rail infrastructure to serve the container yard, and also information on how much truck traffic would be generated that would have to go over the causeway.

It is my opinion that we'll have plenty of capacity once Bayport comes on line and is expanded. Beyond that, there's a Seattle-based company that is working to build a container terminal at Shoal Point in Texas City. If more capacity were required, there's still enough land at Barbour's Cut to handle a whole new inlet and turning basin.

I don't think Galveston needs more sect 8 housing. Hell, UTMB appears to be changing its mode to take care the poor. I think it's time to Galveston to get away from being a dumping ground for destitute people and move forward. Like the adage, everyone wants to take care of the homeless, needing halfway homes, etc. as long as it's not in my backyard.

Galveston isle has enough problems with infrastructure for the existing east end much less for the west end and the wharf.

Poor people are inescapable and are not "dumped" on a city. In Galveston's case, they really need a low-skill workforce to serve their growing tourism industry, but it'd be best if they didn't congest the causeway every morning and afternoon, and also if they could be contained away from areas frequented by visitors. So the idea of developing low-income apartments on Pelican Island wouldn't be to add to the population of the poor, but to dislocate it into a more contained and controllable space.

Btw, UTMB has been providing charitable services to the poor for decades. My parents used to work there in the early 80's and treated people from throughout Galveston County and the 'septic triangle' (no offense to residents of Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange.

Well this is vague. I want details, dammit.

Specifically, I want a time frame, answers regarding expansion of rail infrastructure to serve the container yard, and also information on how much truck traffic would be generated that would have to go over the causeway.

It is my opinion that we'll have plenty of capacity once Bayport comes on line and is expanded. Beyond that, there's a Seattle-based company that is working to build a container terminal at Shoal Point in Texas City. If more capacity were required, there's still enough land at Barbour's Cut to handle a whole new inlet and turning basin.

Poor people are inescapable and are not "dumped" on a city. In Galveston's case, they really need a low-skill workforce to serve their growing tourism industry, but it'd be best if they didn't congest the causeway every morning and afternoon, and also if they could be contained away from areas frequented by visitors. So the idea of developing low-income apartments on Pelican Island wouldn't be to add to the population of the poor, but to dislocate it into a more contained and controllable space.

Btw, UTMB has been providing charitable services to the poor for decades. My parents used to work there in the early 80's and treated people from throughout Galveston County and the 'septic triangle' (no offense to residents of Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange.

Archived