Copperfield/CopperLakes Area in Northwest Houston

PKOLA

Hello:

I have recently moved to Houston. I am thinking to buy a house in Copper Lakes community which close to Hwy 6 and 290 that comes under Cy-Fair ISD.

I have 2 kids. I have checked the schools and the ratings are good. I am in consulting world and travel most of the times.

Can you please suggest is this place better to raise the kids? How is the crime rate?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

pkola

Hello:

I have recently moved to Houston. I am thinking to buy a house in Copper Lakes community which close to Hwy 6 and 290 that comes under Cy-Fair ISD.

I have 2 kids. I have checked the schools and the ratings are good. I am in consulting world and travel most of the times.

Can you please suggest is this place better to raise the kids? How is the crime rate?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

pkola

Copperfield/Copper Lakes is a good area, and a good place to raise kids. The CyFair ISD schools are highly rated, which is making it the fastest growing school district in the state. It's growing so fast they're constantly building new schools. There's an elementary school near Copper Lakes that's only several years old, but it already has a row of temporary buildings holding the overflow of students. You'll see temporary buildings alongside other relatively new schools all over Copperfield. This is not a criticism, or even a negative point. It's testimony to the quality of the schools, which is why the neighborhood is such a desirable area.

As for the crime rate, it's fairly low, but it does exist. No area is completely immune to crime. Copperfield hires off-duty law officers to patrol the area in what's called the "Contract Deputy" program. I've lived in Copperfield West Creek for 18 years and I've never been a crime victim. Knock on wood.

Edited by FilioScotia

Low crime in the area. Far NW Houston (area beyond FM1960/Hwy6) has traditionally enjoyed one of the lowest crime rates in the Houston metropolitan area.

I believe they're also building a new HS (Cypress Lakes HS) set to open in 2008 that will relieve both Langham Creek HS and Cy-Springs HS.

Edited by mrfootball

There's like one neighborhood around there called Somerall which has been a pocket crime area, although the larger area it surrounds is overall very good and "solid" to use MrFootball's favorite term. I went to Cy-Fair schools my entire life. They were great in the 90s, and I believe are still great in this decade. Sometimes you have to go with your gut impression. If you visit the area, and you get a good feeling about it, then it might be the place for you.

Copperfield has been around awhile but it's still a great community zoned to some good schools with a lot of residents who care about their property and look out for one another. IMHO, it's one of the most affordable areas to live in Cy-Fair ISD that's still zoned to good schools unless you want to move waaayy out 290. The rezoned high school boundries should benefit Langham Creek HS once Cypress Lakes HS is built. Per my realtor, the best areas in Copperfield are the older, more established neighboorhoods as well as Westcreek.