Houston radio station for sale

editor

I recently noticed that one of the Houston radio stations is for sale. It's a blind listing through a broker, so I don't know exactly which one. All I know is that it's AM, and it has a signal good enough to be worth an asking price of $10,500,000.00.

Anyone want to speculate which one is up for grabs?

I recently noticed that one of the Houston radio stations is for sale. It's a blind listing through a broker, so I don't know exactly which one. All I know is that it's AM, and it has a signal good enough to be worth an asking price of $10,500,000.00.

Anyone want to speculate which one is up for grabs?

1070 AM KNTH

Edited by Marty

$10 million for a station that doesn't even show up in the ratings? Seems like a lot. I seriously doubt that station has $1 million/year in cash flow.

I've often thought that I'd be a good station owner. A couple of times I almost bought stations, but decided not to. Some of my friends own broadcast stations, and they're really not any brighter than I am. Maybe some day I will, too.

Holy crap. I just looked up KNTH's signal. No wonder I've never heard of them. 11 towers!?!? Talk about a maintenance nightmare. And their signal is so incredibly directional that less than half the city can pick them up.

They should sell the license for $2 million so the buyer can afford to move it to a less protected frequency.

$10 million for a station that doesn't even show up in the ratings? Seems like a lot. I seriously doubt that station has $1 million/year in cash flow.

I've often thought that I'd be a good station owner. A couple of times I almost bought stations, but decided not to. Some of my friends own broadcast stations, and they're really not any brighter than I am. Maybe some day I will, too.

You can always turn a station around and if you owned a A.M. station call it HAIF but it would have a K or W In the first letter. Maybe 1590 KMIC is the one?

Edited by Marty

I was in radio for a decade, and have been thinking about getting back in. This time as a station owner. Not sure why. Last week I was seriously thinking about buying a little 100kw FM I've had my eye on, but I think I'll continue with my personal goal of paying off my debts before I make any more large purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Up Date; Clear Channel to sell 1200 radio stations. source: The New York Times. I will say 790 KMBE will get sold. And i will go out on a limb and say it will flip format to Mexican music from the 1970's and 1980's.

Edited by Marty

Up Date; Clear Channel to sell 1200 radio stations. source: The New York Times. I will say 790 KMBE will get sold. And i will go out on a limb and say it will flip format to Mexican music from the 1970's and 1980's.

Actually, what the Times article says is, "Clear Channel Communications, the nation

You know how the media types from New York Consider Houston as some small hick town. I was just trying to think like they do. :wacko::D:D

Isn't Clear Channel based in San Antonio?

Btw, Editor...I'm curious what kinds of formats you'd be interested in pursuing.

Edited by TheNiche

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't Clear Channel based in San Antonio?

Btw, Editor...I'm curious what kinds of formats you'd be interested in pursuing.

It really all depends on the signal -- it's strength, coverage, and whether it was AM or FM. The station I was looking at a while ago would have been mostly music, but with the occasional news update and lots of local bands overnight. But I recently ran into some financial problems (how many times can ONE PERSON get audited!?), so that's on hold.

The New York Times is the most liberal news source in the country. Most Americans associate NYT with liberals than any other media source in America.

More than NPR? Some days the national stuff out of NPR sounds more like a DNC press release than news.

The New York Times is the most liberal news source in the country. Most Americans associate NYT with liberals than any other media source in America.

As an aside, the NY Times owns other properties as well...for example the NBC affilliate (and first TV station in the Oklahoma), KFOR-TV in OKC. It was formerly KTVY and prior to that WKY-TV.

As for KBME, I had some great times working there when it was KULF. I also am so old I remember it being KTHT, "Demand Radio 79".

Edited by HoustonianInColorado