Santiago, Chile

Out of curiosity has anyone been to Santiago, Chile or Chile in general? It's one of the few places I haven't been in South / Central America and I will be heading there for a couple of weeks. If anyone has a few suggestions of must see places or unique experiences there - would definitely like to hear about them.

Out of curiosity has anyone been to Santiago, Chile or Chile in general? It's one of the few places I haven't been in South / Central America and I will be heading there for a couple of weeks. If anyone has a few suggestions of must see places or unique experiences there - would definitely like to hear about them.

I was there last year. It is a very diverse city consisting of both elegant, historical buildings and churches, mansions of the wealthy, and slum areas of the poor and very poor. Overall, it reminded me very much of Los Angeles, in that it has the mountains on one side and the Pacific on the other. I guess this location might account for the similarity in the climate and air quality. I have included a picture that illustrates the air quality comparison.

We stayed at the Hyatt, which was very nice with views of the city and the mountains. One of the must-sees is a visit to Cerro San Cristobal (St. Christopher Hill) with its white statue of the Virgin Mary at its summit. There are also some spectacular hilltop views of the city from the top of the hill. While up there, we ate at a very nice restaurant whose name I don't remember.

Visit the Plaza de Armas, which is surrounded by several municipal buildings, a museum, and a beautiful, old cathedral. You can drive through some of the more affluent neighborhoods...Bellavista, Vitacura, and Los Condes, to view some of the upperscale homes, parks, and shopping centers. We visited several museums while we were there. Pick up some tourist info and see where they are. A visit to a winery or two makes for an enjoyable morning or afternoon. You might want to use a tour service if you're inclined to do much "tasting".

There is so much to see and do, and I could go on, but just look on the internet and check out the things you might be interested in. A couple of things on the downside I should mention.... there is grafitti everywhere and many, many homeless dogs wandering the streets. Sad items for a, otherwise, very attractive city.

If you have time, take a trip west of the city to Vina del Mar and Valparaiso, which to me, resembled some of the San Francisco area's small resort towns like Monterey and Carmel. The scenery on this trip of about 50 miles is beautiful, with many wineries along the way.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Some views from St. Christopher Hill showing the smog. You can barely see the mountains in the background

Santiago3.jpg

Santiago4.jpg

Views from our hotel room

Santiago2.jpg

Santiago1.jpg

View from the hotel lobby

Santiago5.jpg

Edited by 57Tbird

• 1 month later...