Chinatown Appeals To Houston Homebuyers

Trae

Does the SW Chinatown have official boundaries?

School-wise, most of Chinatown is in the Alief Independent School District, while some of it is in the Houston Independent School District.

I think of that region having two halves. On Bellaire between Fondren and the Beltway is the Chinese half (though near Fondren there's a neat Vietnamese shopping center there that had an Eritrean/Ethiopian Cafe last time I checked in 2004). Then there's the Viet-half of New Chinatown from west of the Beltway on to about Cook.

What's neat about that Chinatown is that it's well complemented by other ethnic shopping zones on parallel streets.

Beechnut is an explosion of more Viet shopping centers.

Bissonnet features a random mix of many Filipino, Pakistani (and other Muslim) and Nigerian businesses.

Houston is certainly blessed with international offerings.

Then there's the axis of Veteran's Memorial and FM 1960 on the NW side of Houston. More Asian businesses galore.

• 2 weeks later...
I think of that region having two halves. On Bellaire between Fondren and the Beltway is the Chinese half (though near Fondren there's a neat Vietnamese shopping center there that had an Eritrean/Ethiopian Cafe last time I checked in 2004). Then there's the Viet-half of New Chinatown from west of the Beltway on to about Cook.

What's neat about that Chinatown is that it's well complemented by other ethnic shopping zones on parallel streets.

Beechnut is an explosion of more Viet shopping centers.

Bissonnet features a random mix of many Filipino, Pakistani (and other Muslim) and Nigerian businesses.

Houston is certainly blessed with international offerings.

Then there's the axis of Veteran's Memorial and FM 1960 on the NW side of Houston. More Asian businesses galore.

Chinatown does have boundaries. It is between Beltway 8 East to Gessner Rd. North from Bellaire Blvd. to Harwin. Here is a map http://www.chinatownconnection.com/houston-chinatown-map.htm with the shaded area being Chinatown.

Even Sugar Land/First Colony has a small "Chinatown" of sorts, located on Highway Six, at the intersection of Austin Parkway/Dulles. The center is anchored by an asian supermarket (Wel Farm) and most of the other businesses in the center are asian ones (noodle houses, cafes, realty, specialty medicine, etc). It's great to have somewhere like that nearby.

Archived