New $1,600,000,000 Development

editor

That would be the Towne Lake development.

Some information in that article differs from earlier press releases this week which stated, potentially 1,000,000 sq. ft of office space in a town center format along with a 600 acre lake.

Perhaps they've whittled down the lake for more residential. I saw mention of multi-family housing in the form of condos.

I grew up with the guy leading up this development so I'll pass the message along to him:

Peter, if you're reading this...this looks like an outstanding project...it'd be even better without multi-family housing. Just take a look at what happened to where we grew up man. Look at what happened to Westfield. Apartments ruined it. Let's not make the same mistake here.

I guess he grew up all over :rolleyes:.

I don't understand your real hate for multi-family housing. It isn't all doom and gloom all the time. Enjoy some density in your area. There are some nice apartments in Katy (especially the ones zoned to Taylor), yet to become the barring ghetto that you think any apartment complex will become.

Can the northwest handle all of this. 290 is only 3 lanes from Muscke (spelled wrong I know). Two lanes out to Hempstead. They need to expand it, because once the Grand Parkway comes through, it will be even more strained. 249 needs to be built out to Tomball, too, because Tomball is seeing more of Cypress' growth fall into it.

Is there a website for this?

Grew up in NW Houston: Greenwood Forest, Ponderosa, Champion Forest - Graduated from HS, went off to college, graduated: UT, Tech...then back to Houston in Afton Oaks, then Midtown, then married with children in Cypress.

People move sometimes.

I guess he grew up all over :rolleyes:.

I don't understand your real hate for multi-family housing. It isn't all doom and gloom all the time. Enjoy some density in your area. There are some nice apartments in Katy (especially the ones zoned to Taylor), yet to become the barring ghetto that you think any apartment complex will become.

Can the northwest handle all of this. 290 is only 3 lanes from Muscke 9spelled wrong I know). Two lanes out to Hempstead. They need to expand it, because once the Grand Parkway comes through, it will be even more strained. 249 needs to be built out to Tomball, too, because Tomball is seeing more of Cypress' growth fall into it.

Is there a website for this?

TXDoT has already conducted the MIS review of 290. Ground breaking is a ways off, though. And the study for 249 is either in progress or has been completed, I'm not sure which. The proposal is to extend it all the way to Navasota in Grimes County. I'm sure MaxConcrete can fill you in when he sees your post.

I agree - As I said earlier, apartments are like wine. They are good in moderation.

I know this because I stayed in a complex close to my house after Allison flooded my house. I didn't like having to share a room with my sister, but the complex I stayed in was safe and clean.

Last night another store clerk was shot and killed on the Southeast side by some New Orleans refugees living in a nearby southeast side Apt.

Apts (and what goes with them) seem to place a bigger burden on society around them, and IMO should be taxed accordingly.

I wonder how other cities approach this issue?

Apts (and what goes with them) seem to place a bigger burden on society around them, and IMO should be taxed accordingly.

How are apartment complexes taxed? Do you know? I am curious to know the answer to that question. I wonder if they get some sort of tax break or breaks if the apartments are low income or more affordable.

Last night another store clerk was shot and killed on the Southeast side by some New Orleans refugees living in a nearby southeast side Apt.

I wonder how other cities approach this issue?

Some cities zone them out of existence. Pearland is a good example. Anybody looking to build apartment complexes in that area has to go either inside the Beltway or way out in the boonies. Similarly, League City requires that developers either pay a special tax or set aside a part of their land as green space for single-family subdivisions; as a result, they don't get too many of the affordable smaller-lot subdivisions...Texas City does instead.

So you aren't the first one to react to the problems that the poor bring to a municipality...but implementing taxes that are almost region-wide is only effective at turning the poor into the desperately-poor. You don't want the desperately-poor.

If you want to fix the problems that are CORRELATED (not necessarily caused) with the existence of apartments, a better way is to create jobs, proactively promote educational programs, promote the existence of two-parent households, and to crack down on existing crime (even smaller crimes) with a stronger police force.

Bottom line: Taxing the poor just doesn't work too well in a large central city like Houston or as a matter of regional policy. If you want to fix the apartment problem, then fix the tenant problem. Many of the effective strategies can be implemented without the incorporation of a new municipality by creating a Special District through the State legislature. If you can't or don't want to make that kind of an effort, be a good consumer and move to Pearland, not unincorporated Harris County.

Hey All,

My PR firm just alerted me to the fact that the press release had been picked up by this forum and there was some bantering going on so I thought I might weigh in.

Towne Lake will be a truly one of a kind community with a completely interconnected lake system that will be 300-350 acres of surface area and probably closer to 400 acre if you include all of the green areas adjacent to the lake.

The commerical component at the north end of the Tract adjacent to 290 has the potential to rival a suburban office corridor equivalent to the Woodlands. We need to resolve some of the direct access issues to 290 which we are working on right now.

The commercial component to the south end of the tract will feature some high end multif family components, maybe 400-500 Units of the overall total of 7,000-8,000 households in the development. I think it will offer the opportunity for some to live in the community that cannot afford the housing stock. Homes will start in the High 100's and there will be very few of those.

The overbuilding of the apartments in the Greenspoint area was a perfect storm scenario where there were more units built than could have been absorbed in a 3 year period much less the worst 3 year period ever in Houston's real estate business. Mr. Football, I dont know who you are but feel free to contact me. Its always good to hear from folks from a long time ago.

Peter Barnhart

Caldwell Watson Real Estate Group

Hey All,

My PR firm just alerted me to the fact that the press release had been picked up by this forum and there was some bantering going on so I thought I might weigh in.

Towne Lake will be a truly one of a kind community with a completely interconnected lake system that will be 300-350 acres of surface area and probably closer to 400 acre if you include all of the green areas adjacent to the lake.

The commerical component at the north end of the Tract adjacent to 290 has the potential to rival a suburban office corridor equivalent to the Woodlands. We need to resolve some of the direct access issues to 290 which we are working on right now.

The commercial component to the south end of the tract will feature some high end multif family components, maybe 400-500 Units of the overall total of 7,000-8,000 households in the development. I think it will offer the opportunity for some to live in the community that cannot afford the housing stock. Homes will start in the High 100's and there will be very few of those.

The overbuilding of the apartments in the Greenspoint area was a perfect storm scenario where there were more units built than could have been absorbed in a 3 year period much less the worst 3 year period ever in Houston's real estate business. Mr. Football, I dont know who you are but feel free to contact me. Its always good to hear from folks from a long time ago.

Peter Barnhart

Caldwell Watson Real Estate Group

Peter, do you have any visuals of what this project is planned for? Thanks and looks like a great project!!

• 1 month later...

and right now, the only houses i see listed by powers or weekley are $300k+.

for $300k+ i can consider moving inside the loop instead of inside 99.

i know, it's a different mindset, etc. and there are tradeoffs for both.

• The title was changed to New $1,600,000,000 Development

Archived