The Official Crummy Developer Thread

mrfootball

The deforestation of NW Harris County continues...as short-sighted developers continue to sacrifice long-term value and a natural aesthetic for short-term gain. This is the rogues gallery of crummy developers. A place where we will showcase a variety of unimaginitive developments underway (and the developers behind them) in far Northwest Houston that detract from the area's natural appeal.

Today, we lead off with one of our own. Long known to the residents of NW Houston for creating the beautiful Champions Forest area, we're somewhat surprised to see our own Don Hand having utterly destroyed the treescape on his property located at 249 near Cypresswood (b/w Lowe's and Prince of Peace).

At first it appeared, that Mr. Hand had selectively cleared the land, preserving many of the stately hardwood trees on the property to which he would have won many kudos from area residents who appreciate the effort to preserve natural scenery. However, I was quite dissappointed today to see that he has instead decided to totally clearcut that land. Acres of towering oak trees, sycamores, and pines are no more. Yet another sad story about another developer who took what was a wonderful canvas, and carelessy laid waste to something that took a lifetime to create.

Another missed opportunity. Another Crummy Developer. :angry:

the-golden-chainsaw.jpg

Congrats to developer Don Hand for winning this week's 'Golden Chainsaw'.

Edited by mrfootball

The deforestation of NW Harris County continues...as short-sighted developers continue to sacrifice long-term value and a natural aesthetic for short-term gain. This is the rogues gallery of crummy developers. A place where we will showcase a variety of unimaginitive developments underway (and the developers behind them) in far Northwest Houston that detract from the area's natural appeal.

Another missed opportunity. Another Crummy Developer. :angry:

the-golden-chainsaw.jpg

Congrats to developer Don Hand for winning this week's 'Golden Chainsaw'.

I agree Mr. Hand could have saved a few more trees. Another Crummy Developer. Ryland Homes at the corner of Grant and Perry, has clearcut all those acres also. The deer and wildlife in this area are roaming around looking for new homes. Watch out for deer crossing 249 as there have been a few killed on the feeder. :(

Don't say things like this. It makes me extremely angry, and moreso than I already am. Whatever he's building on the site where he just clear cut the trees, I will refuse to do business with.

Does this Hand guy realize that he's destroying something that cannot be replaced, and this is very very good quality land along the Cypress Creek. These trees are beautiful, and they are mature and dense around this area. I am starting to really hate this city more and more. They destroy Cactus Music, then Astroworld, then threaten to destroy the River Oaks Theater, then the developers are on a mission to de-forest the entire NW area, which I've always been in love with.

Edited by PureAuteur

I agree PA. I think everyone has a moral responsibility to stop shopping at places that are not environmentally or ecologically responsible. I understand it is more expensive to work around the trees, but it is the RIGHT thing to do.

BTW, PA, did you know that the same company that is threatening the life of River Oaks is also now threatening the life of the Alabama Bookstop? Weingarten Realty...the ones that saved both in the first place. Sad, sad, sad.

One day Houston will have no historic landmarks and no more trees. I'll blame it all on Bill White, even though he can do nothing about Cypress Creek trees, because it's outside Houston. I'll blame Cy-Creek area for not incorporating, and passing an ordinance against cutting down trees. I'll blame Bill White for the art-decco landmarks being destroyed. I liked him as a mayor at first, but as soon as he let all those hurricane evacuees come here, I knew it would bring a year's worth of trouble. He should have helped them in the Astrodome, then DISPERSED them all across the U.S. so that the crime wouldn't be concentrated to one city. What a jerk.

i completely agree. has it ever been attempted? isn't the Willowbook area part of the Houston ETJ?

Yes, I believe it was attempted and the homeowner's in the area said "no" to incorporation as part of Houston (mainly, I suspect due to further increased property taxes). It is my understanding that all of the businesses on 1960 are within Houston's tax jurisdiction. Houston really wanted the sales tax and not specifically the taxes from the homes in the area. I was told that Houston agreed not to annex the area for 30 years (which would be either another 28-29 years). Either way, something needs to be done to protect the area. Since most of the woods that are now left have 'for sale' signs in front of them I doubt there will be much forest left remaining except for what was left in the older subdivisions.

I think this needs to be looked into again. We cannot be held hostage by Houston if we desire to incorporate our community. Houston's ETJ boundaries are squirrely and absurd. They simply snake up and down the major arteries serving to steal tax revenue while providing minimal service.

Obviously nobody wants to be incorporated by Houston, but there has to be some remedy for an area that wishes to incorporate and create ordinances to mandate improved development standards, planning, etc.

Edited by mrfootball

I know that there is that 1960 coalition or whatever it is (not that I've seen anything remarkable come from it). I don't think I personally would like to be a part of Houston, now if there was zoning then yes. In my mind we would simply lose money and get back nothing in return. I'm not sure what the real answer is but I don't think it's Houston.

I liked him as a mayor at first, but as soon as he let all those hurricane evacuees come here, I knew it would bring a year's worth of trouble. He should have helped them in the Astrodome, then DISPERSED them all across the U.S. so that the crime wouldn't be concentrated to one city. What a jerk.

They, in fact, did disperse all over the U.S. - Remember Rita? Rita forced many to live in Arkansas.

The person who heads the 1960 Coalition is Larry Lipton who owns an insurance agency in this part of town. I've spoken to him a couple of times. The problem I have with that group is that they focus on 1960. While they work on attempting to 'fix' 1960, Louetta is becoming another cluster of mismatched, unorganized crap. And in the future when they form the 'Louetta coalition', Spring Cypress will do the same.

There is also a 'super neighborhood' program that is sponsored by the City of Houston. Its purpose is to provide services/funding for projects in outlying areas that are not Houston proper. One of the super neighborhoods is Willowbrook but its boundaries are around the mall, not the extended area.

People around here (me for one) spend a whole lot of our free time running around attempting to correct the damage that's been done. It keeps you so busy, it's almost impossible to be pro-active. With all the walls and red tape you run into, it makes you want to just pack it up and head to Sugarland, Katy or the Woodlands where you don't have to worry about it.

There has got to be a way to get this area to adopt some sort of standards (building codes, zoning, anything!!). What they've done around the 290 / Spring Cypress area sickens me. That is such a nice area and they just keep trashing it up with unplanned, unorganized development.

Edited by cfresident

What they've done around the 290 / Spring Cypress area sickens me.

That's all NewQuest. First in, first out.

How fast can they put up nameless strip centers? Faster than you can say..."WTF".

I've never been impressed with this company's developments. They make no effort to try and match the character of the community they drop these things into. They typically have the same mix of retail, and are usually first into the market. This particular area is ringed by some very nice developments. You'd think they'd have taken more care...they could stand to invest in some Landscaping and uniform signage.

Edited by mrfootball

I just got through posting a rant about that crap on 290 and Spring Cypress. I didn't realize that was New Quest. I think that company is a threat to my quality of life. All they do is try to squeeze every penny out of a piece of land, and they end up creating clutter. For example, at Jones Rd @ West Rd, they had a nice little four corners with development on each corner. Then, NewQuest decided to put a strip center in the Kroger parking lot, ruining the view that the residents of Stone Canyon apartments had of the well-designed Kroger Signature store and parking lot. I'm not being sarcastic, as I used to deliver pizzas to those apartments. They had a very pleasant view from the 3rd floor balcony, because they could see out all over, but now they get to stare at the back of an ugly brick strip center thanks to NewQuest.

I hope NewQuest goes bankrupt. If I was a Cypress resident, I'd be doing everything legally possible to incoporate my area, then my first ordinance would indirectly ban NewQuest from developing.