John & Ann's Pie Shoppe

EWKrause

Does anyone know the back story on why this wonderful family is packing up and moving on?

I was there today -- drove over from West Houston because I kept getting a recording when I tried to phone. John & Ann were there, presiding over an estate sale.

I am heartbroken. Best pies in the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area, and a great little "ladies lunch" place as well.

What WILL we do?

Does anyone know the back story on why this wonderful family is packing up and moving on?

I was there today -- drove over from West Houston because I kept getting a recording when I tried to phone. John & Ann were there, presiding over an estate sale.

I am heartbroken. Best pies in the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area, and a great little "ladies lunch" place as well.

What WILL we do?

They haven't closed, they just moved. They are now located on Grand Parkway, just north of Highland Knolls. There is a strip center right before Tradition Bank and that's where they're located.

They haven't closed, they just moved. They are now located on Grand Parkway, just north of Highland Knolls. There is a strip center right before Tradition Bank and that's where they're located.

Nope, it's not them. They were there yesterday and told me they were closing altogether -- as in going out of business.

A woman who worked there will probably try to do some baking, on request, out of her home. Not sure who or what is going in on Grand Parkway, but it isn't John & Ann.

I wonder if they got in over their heads opening the shop on Grand Parkway. I know it was their shop, it was the same name, advertisements here in Katy said that they had opened a new location etc. Thats a pretty bold move to make going into a strip center where rent plus triple net is going to run a couple grand a month. Thats a lotta pies.

If this is inaccurate, there theres a fox in the henhouse! :-)

Are we still on the low carb frenzy?

I think having such a niche product doomed their business at a time when we are all concerned about getting carbohydrates.

Have you ever been there before? I'm guessing you probably haven't based on your comment. It was truly a small mom and pop place w/ room for only about 20 diners at a time. It was situated in a small place in Katy proper and was never aimed at raking the money in. (Yes, I understand all businesses seek to make profits.) They offered basic sandwiches or quiche for lunch w/ chips and a choice of fabulous pies! Many people in the area order pies from them for holidays and special occassions too. They had daily lunch hours (3 or 4 hours/day, 6 days a week), but everything else was a call and setup thing. This was a small operation run w/ love. Every time we went through the years you would see the same size crowd so I don't think a sudden lack of business was the reason. Maybe they just decided to take the next step in life, do something different, or retire. Either way, I will miss this wonderful shop.

I found out today from my mom's good friend that they closed b/c they were retiring due to health concerns/problems for John. Besides running the shop, they did catering too. I wish them a happy and healthy retirement. I'll miss those pies!

• 2 weeks later...

John and Ann's Pie Shoppe Rides Again!!!!

To all of the valued customers of John and Ann's Pie Shoppe,

My name is Suzie and I helped John and Ann run the Pie Shoppe for years. As John retires, he has given me the opportunity to continue the legacy of their wonderful pies.

I have found an old customer of John and Ann's and we have started building out our new location. We will keep you posted with those details soon.

In the meantime, we are baking the same great pies every day. Just call the old number @ 281-391-8088 after 8/31/06 or my temporary number @ 832-279-3862 today.

Thanks to all for your past support and patience while we get your table ready. Order now, because Thanksgiving is right around the corner and space is limited. But the pies are still the best! Please tell all of your family and friends the great news!! Eat more PIES!!!

Thanks again and best regards,

SUZIE

• The title was changed to John & Ann's Pie Shoppe

Archived