West Memorial Neighborhood

Pathfinder

Hello HAIF!

So excited to find this forum!

Currently I'm looking for a property in the Memorial area, close to Beltway 8. I've heard that the price has gone up since the beginning of this year. Is it true? Anybody knows why?

I've looked at the following subdivisions:

Memorial Hollow

Memorial Meadow

Memorial Plaza

Wilchester

Nottingham

Nottingham Forest

My question is that would you pay a premium for living inside the Beltway 8? Or would you prefer going further west to Diary Ashford for upgrades and a lower price? I know that the schools are a little bit different. Just wanted to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Hello HAIF!

Currently I'm looking for a property in the Memorial area, close to Beltway 8. I've heard that the price has gone up since the beginning of this year. Is it true? Anybody knows why?

Memorial Hollow

Memorial Meadow

Memorial Plaza

Wilchester

Nottingham

Nottingham Forest

My question is that would you pay a premium for living inside the Beltway 8? Or would you prefer going further west to Diary Ashford for upgrades and a lower price? I know that the schools are a little bit different. Just wanted to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

If you can get inside of the Beltway and north of the Bayou, go for it. I'd hesitate about Dairy-Ashford. Strikes me as less stable.

The area is appreciating for two main reasons: 1) just about everything else is and 2) Energy Corridor employment center is growing, growing, growing.

We really liked the Memorial Plaza/Rustling Oaks neigbhorhood around Rummel Creek elementary. We made an offer on a house there, but it got snapped up earlier that day.

This is one of my other favorite parts of town. Good area with a lot of upside.

If you can get inside of the Beltway and north of the Bayou, go for it. I'd hesitate about Dairy-Ashford. Strikes me as less stable.

The area is appreciating for two main reasons: 1) just about everything else is and 2) Energy Corridor employment center is growing, growing, growing.

If the energy companies start to lay off, as they did in the 80's, would that impact the property value in the area?

Edited by Pathfinder

If the energy companies start to laying off, as they did in the 80's, would that impact the property value in the area?

I don't think the energy companies are going to layoff anytime soon.

Just inside the Beltway has become the "affordable" Memorial Home now. Granted, if the real estate market stops, home values will go down, but the Frostwood/Memorial/Memorial HS dynamic will keep values fair.

Outside the Beltway you may see more of a dip. Wilchester is still a great area and is seeing some regrowth. Try to stay south of Memorial--North of the Bayou there if you can.

Gaywood, Memorial Glen and Rustling Pines still seem to be a good deal. They are zoned to Rummel Creek/Memorial MS/ Stratford.

I wouldn't go west of Kirkwood.

Here are websites of the Spring Branch ISD schools mentioned:

* Frostwood ES - http://fwe.springbranchisd.com/ (City of Bunker Hill Village)

* Rummel Creek ES - http://rce.springbranchisd.com/

* Memorial MS - http://www.springbranchisd.com/schools/allcampus/mid/mms.htm

* Stratford HS - http://www.springbranchisd.com/schools/all...us/high/ssh.htm

Memorial Bend is a great buy. It took me a year to get the house we wanted here, but we were very specific. Schools are Rummel Creek Elem., Memorial Middle, and Memorial High (also choice of Stratford if you are on the west side).

Hello HAIF!

Memorial Hollow

Memorial Meadow

Memorial Plaza

Wilchester

Nottingham

Nottingham Forest

Thanks.

Do you even care about schools or are you just looking for a nice place to live? The villages are nice but the property value has skyrocketed. I grew up in Bunker Hill Village and highly recommend it if you dont mind the taxes ;)

Talk about skyrocket! We moved into one of the first houses in Rustling Pines in in 1960 (I think). 13023 Boheme. My parents paid $49 thousand for the house.

I just checked Harris County Appraisal District on the address......$396,000.00!!!

They're nice houses in Rustling Pines, Memorial Bend, etd. but almost 400K? You can get a mansion for less than that if you go just a little further out I-10.

Becky

I live right in the heart of the neighborhoods to which you are referring. I have a few comments:

First of all, not going west of Kirkwood is an ignorant viewpoint (sorry to whoever said it...but it's the truth). There are beautiful and established neighborhoods just west of Kirkwood like Nottingham Forest, Memorial Drive Acres, Westchester, and Ashford Forest. Even further are neighborhoods like Thornwood, Fleetwood, and a couple of gated communities as well. Same with the idea that staying south of Memorial...there are incredible homes in Nottingham, Wilchester, and all of the neighborhoods you mentioned and they are ALL north of Memorial.

Secondly, the growth and exclusivity of Town & Country Center and the much-anticipated and hyped City Centre (where T&C mall used to be, scheduled to start next spring), along with the redeveloped Memorial City Mall have added much of the value to the homes around here.

Third--you can't discount how quickly the Katy Freeway project is moving along. There is VERY little inconvenience currently, relatively speaking. When it is finished, it is going to be a very rapid commute to downtown and it will be even easier than it is now to get on and off the freeway. We not only have super easy access to I-10, but the Sam Houston Tollway and the Westpark Tollway.

Fourth--the neighborhood schools. Rummel Creek and Wilchester elementary are within walking distance to the homes in these neighborhoods, and people like that.

Value is what one will pay for something. What may be worth it to one person doesn't make it worth it to another, but that does not diminish its value. Believe me, people are willing to spend the $$$ right now to live here--and it's getting to be multiple offer kinda stuff. Good luck with your choice! If you can't afford the homes here, we're selling our condo, so shoot me a PM! ;)

Edited by Parrothead

Gaywood is another neighborhood. South of Memorial, east of Wilcrest. The lots are large and the original homes were built in the 60's. Lots of good mods, if that is your thing. $300K and up. The thing is that these houses are being snapped up and torn down. McMansions are going up in their place and are selling for $800K to 1 Mil.

Gaywood is another neighborhood. South of Memorial, east of Wilcrest. The lots are large and the original homes were built in the 60's. Lots of good mods, if that is your thing. $300K and up. The thing is that these houses are being snapped up and torn down. McMansions are going up in their place and are selling for $800K to 1 Mil.

Yes, Gaywood is nice. But, I don't see anthing priced below $400K there. Even houses in Wilchester are priced at $400K+. I guess now is not the best time to buy, is it?

• The title was changed to West Memorial Neighborhood