Lofts or similar out West?

Just returned to Houston after a 15-year absence. Boy, things have changed and prices have gone up! Last time I lived here was in the Heights in a 2-bdrm above-garage for $350/mo. Not possible anymore, I guess!

Although I've always wanted a "loft" downtown, my new job is in the Westchase area and I wouldn't want the commute from there. Anything resembling a loft out past 610? Can one live in a commercial office space anymore? Anyone have advice about the crime rate in this area and where the safer parts are?

BTW-To me, a loft is the old-style definition - big, open space, high ceilings, usually a converted warehouse like Buffalo Studios area - not these built-from-the-ground-up-to-dazzle apartments which are simply labelled as lofts in order to raise the price. ;)

Just returned to Houston after a 15-year absence. Boy, things have changed and prices have gone up! Last time I lived here was in the Heights in a 2-bdrm above-garage for $350/mo. Not possible anymore, I guess!

Although I've always wanted a "loft" downtown, my new job is in the Westchase area and I wouldn't want the commute from there. Anything resembling a loft out past 610? Can one live in a commercial office space anymore? Anyone have advice about the crime rate in this area and where the safer parts are?

BTW-To me, a loft is the old-style definition - big, open space, high ceilings, usually a converted warehouse like Buffalo Studios area - not these built-from-the-ground-up-to-dazzle apartments which are simply labelled as lofts in order to raise the price. ;)

You may be able to find new lofts, but I just don't think that there is anything in the Westchase area like what it is that you seek.

You can still legally live in commercial space, but good luck finding a landlord that'll let you do that. Their property/casualty insurance policies often prevent that kind of thing these days.

I live Westchasish area...

I dont of anything apt wise with any real style like a loft...

all that's out here is cookie cutter Camden Apt complexes and a few dives off Hayes street...

Personally I'd love to see more stylisth Loft style living out here.

Great location with cheaper living than the Galleria or Downtown if it was built...