For Sale: iDog - Your musical robotic pet

editor

DSC06939.JPEG

Click here for a larger, more detailed photograph.

This is an iDog. What is it? It's like a little robot that likes music. It listens to your stereo, radio, iPod, computer, or whatever and dances along with the music.

The head turns, the ears twitch, and it barks and sings while lights play around on its face. It's cute.

The more music you play it, the more personality it develops. The personality it ends up with depends on the kind of music you feed it. Or you can just talk to it and touch it. It has sensors to know when you're patting it on the head, scratching it under the chin, poking its nose, or touching its tail.

It can listen to the ambient sound in the room, or you can plug the sound source directly into the iDog. If you do that, it can function as a portable speaker, which you turn on and off with the tail.

I first saw this in Japan a couple of years ago, and then just before Christmas was stunned to see one in Wal-Mart. In my typical impulsive fashion, I bought it, brought it home, and played with it for a few hours before turning it off. My wife put it away in a closet and I forgot about it until I came across it this weekend. It's in perfect condition. Runs on two AA batteries.

So, if you're looking for a speaker, or a playtime friend, this is the cyber pet you need.

Price is $15, plus $5 shipping.

• 1 year later...

Hey is this guy still for sale?

DSC06939.JPEG

Click here for a larger, more detailed photograph.

This is an iDog. What is it? It's like a little robot that likes music. It listens to your stereo, radio, iPod, computer, or whatever and dances along with the music.

The head turns, the ears twitch, and it barks and sings while lights play around on its face. It's cute.

The more music you play it, the more personality it develops. The personality it ends up with depends on the kind of music you feed it. Or you can just talk to it and touch it. It has sensors to know when you're patting it on the head, scratching it under the chin, poking its nose, or touching its tail.

It can listen to the ambient sound in the room, or you can plug the sound source directly into the iDog. If you do that, it can function as a portable speaker, which you turn on and off with the tail.

I first saw this in Japan a couple of years ago, and then just before Christmas was stunned to see one in Wal-Mart. In my typical impulsive fashion, I bought it, brought it home, and played with it for a few hours before turning it off. My wife put it away in a closet and I forgot about it until I came across it this weekend. It's in perfect condition. Runs on two AA batteries.

So, if you're looking for a speaker, or a playtime friend, this is the cyber pet you need.

Price is $15, plus $5 shipping.

Sorry. I ended up giving him to a friend's children when there was no interest here.

Fortunately, he's not as rare as he used to be and you can pick him up in many department stores for less than I paid. There's also a cat and a fish now, too.

Archived