Think.Act.Survive Disaster Preparedness Tips

editor

Are you ready?

Think.Act.Survive Disaster Preparedness Tips

In a major disaster, individuals, families and neighborhoods may have to function on their own until emergency crews can reach them. Understanding what to do and preparing in advance can mean the difference between life and death.

. Create a family response plan that addresses likely threats (fire, flood, hurricanes, etc.). Learn about the response plans at your employer, school, day care and other places where your family spends time.

. Find the safest place in your house to shelter, usually in the center of the structure away from windows, and plot escape routes including two ways out of any room.

. Choose meeting places, one outside your home in case of fire and one outside your neighborhood if you can't return home. Choose local and out-of-town family check-in points and make sure all family members know the phone numbers.

. Assemble emergency supplies, enough for three days for all family members and pets:

. bottled water (also fill tub for water to flush toilets)

. packaged or canned food with manual can opener

. medications (several weeks' supply)

. first aid kit

. flashlights with batteries and candles

. battery-operated radio

. pet carriers/leashes

. cash and credit cards

If evacuating, add:

. clothes/footwear

. blankets/sleeping bags

. car repair kit

. extra keys

. photos of your home's exterior and interior

. financial information, including insurance, banking, creditors with contact details

. Review and practice your plan annually and hold fire and emergency evacuation drills.

. Replace stored water every three months and food every six months.

. Test and recharge your fire extinguisher according to the manufacturer's instructions.

. Test your smoke detector once a month and replace batteries every six months with the fall and spring time changes.

. Visit www.survivedisaster.org for more information on emergencies and how you can prepare.

. Tune into KTRH 740 AM, Houston's designed Emergency Alert System Station, for information and instructions in an emergency.

ThinkActSurvive.jpg

It's funny what you will forget when you're running for your life. When my husband and I registered for our wedding, our Target list read more like a disaster planning kit.

"Replace stored water every three months and food every six months."

Now, I've heard this sort of thing before and the water part always gets me. Did they ever prove that bottled (distilled or drinking) will "go bad" after a certain period of time? I remember when some news covered that grocery stores weren't rotating their bottled water stock, and the big question was if it really mattered.

So does it?

It's funny what you will forget when you're running for your life. When my husband and I registered for our wedding, our Target list read more like a disaster planning kit.

Now, I've heard this sort of thing before and the water part always gets me. Did they ever prove that bottled (distilled or drinking) will "go bad" after a certain period of time? I remember when some news covered that grocery stores weren't rotating their bottled water stock, and the big question was if it really mattered.

So does it?

Unless it's open i don't know. At work we have an eyewash station that requires bottled/distilled water. The container is sealed shut when not in use but some special drops are required to keep it "fresh."

Archived