Homebuilding newsletter available for download

HADD Texas Newsletter for June 2006 Available for Download

The June 2006 newsletter for HADD Texas is available for download at http://www.hadd.com/documents/texasnewsjun2006.pdf

This issue includes:

* President's Message. Good news and bad news.

* Bob Perry Watch. An update on Bob Perry Homes and the TX Supreme Court

* Stephen B. Paxson.

Okay...so what is your proposed answer to these "abuses"? As much as I find some practices by home builders to be repugnant, and as much as I dislike mandatory arbitration, I'm not sure what can really be done about these problems. Perhaps the only answer is to not buy a (new) home from anyone, but I don't know if that is really a practical solution.

Okay...so what is your proposed answer to these "abuses"? As much as I find some practices by home builders to be repugnant, and as much as I dislike mandatory arbitration, I'm not sure what can really be done about these problems. Perhaps the only answer is to not buy a (new) home from anyone, but I don't know if that is really a practical solution.

Arbitration. There is NOTHING wrong with arbitration just as long as both parties understand what they are getting into, how much it will cost, and the guidelines for the process, but NOT as part of the contract when purchasing. The builders will NOT make optional at the time of the defect because no one in their right mind would accept the arbitration process because of the high cost and biased results. So they mandate it.

Buy a 5 year old home. Forget buying a new one, and if you do, and you get screwed, don't complain.

Like the uncertain traveler, I would be pleased to hear your proposed solution to these problems that any builder/homebuyer can implement. 'Buy a five year old home' isn't a practical solution.

Have you developed a TREC contract addendum that a homebuyer can propose? Do you have a warranty statement you think is adequate? Otherwise, this ongoing rant about builders and politicians is growing tired.

Edited by jgs1419

Like the uncertain traveler, I would be pleased to hear your proposed solution to these problems that any builder/homebuyer can implement. 'Buy a five year old home' isn't a practical solution.

Have you developed a TREC contract addendum that a homebuyer can propose? Do you have a warranty statement you think is adequate? Otherwise, this ongoing rant about builders and politicians is growing tired.

Oh. Please. TREC does not apply. The builders have absolutely nothing to do with TREC. You have no idea what you are talking about.

We have proposed enough suggestions to the warranties turn ourselves blue. See http://www.hadd.com/states/texas.php

It will require a change in leadership to get anything accomplished that would protect the consumer.

Until then, we will bash the builders as much as we *&^%ing want. You would think they would get tired of it.

Oh. Please. TREC does not apply. The builders have absolutely nothing to do with TREC. You have no idea what you are talking about.

A good number of new homes are sold using the standard TREC contract. Warranty procedures, scope of work clarifications, and a myriad of other conditions are frequently added to the TREC agreement via an addendum that the builder generates. Many builder's associations in the state provide their members with an addenda to use in their contracts that has been legally challenged and is known to be enforceable. Maybe you should try a similar strategy for HADD. You won't effect the large builders that use their own sales force/internal sales contracts but it's a place to start. It may be more successful than aiming for regime change in Austin.

If you think it's a bad idea, just ignore it. Save the angry response.